PDA

View Full Version : Cat regurgitating food...

SK
December 12th 05, 08:28 PM
Hi,

My three year old cat has regurgitated his food for the last three days. He
gets a small amount in the morning and his main meal in the evening. It's
the main meal he's regurgitating. This evening, I gave him half the
amount,waited ten minutes and gave him the other half. But he had only
finished when it all came up again!! I think it's because he's eating too
fast - he eats like a vacuum cleaner!!! Any tips on what I should do? I
got him two weeks ago from a rescue centre, his previous owner is very ill
and had to find a new home for him. But I don't have any contact with the
previous owner. He otherwise appears very healthy and active and he's now
licking his empty bowl so he's still hungry!! I have another cat also and I
have to stand over them while they eat cos the new cat eats so fast and then
tries to take the other one's food!!

Thanks in advance,

Siobhán

whitershadeofpale
December 12th 05, 10:29 PM
SK wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My three year old cat has regurgitated his food for the last three days. He
> gets a small amount in the morning and his main meal in the evening. It's
> the main meal he's regurgitating.

maybe morning size feedings.
or...
sit him on your lap and spoon feed him, make him chew his food!
just kidding

someone else had same problem (last year) they gave smaller amounts
more often, and I believe this solved the problem.

maybe leave some dry out, this way he does not feel compelled to eat
the
whole thing seeing that he can eat anytime he wants...?

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Siobhán

mlbriggs
December 12th 05, 10:39 PM
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:28:01 +0000, SK wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My three year old cat has regurgitated his food for the last three days.
> He gets a small amount in the morning and his main meal in the evening.
> It's the main meal he's regurgitating. This evening, I gave him half the
> amount,waited ten minutes and gave him the other half. But he had only
> finished when it all came up again!! I think it's because he's eating too
> fast - he eats like a vacuum cleaner!!! Any tips on what I should do? I
> got him two weeks ago from a rescue centre, his previous owner is very ill
> and had to find a new home for him. But I don't have any contact with the
> previous owner. He otherwise appears very healthy and active and he's now
> licking his empty bowl so he's still hungry!! I have another cat also and
> I have to stand over them while they eat cos the new cat eats so fast and
> then tries to take the other one's food!!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Siobhán

IMHO If they are very hungry, they will eat too fast. Have you tried free
feeding of dry food? MLB

SK
December 12th 05, 11:03 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I always leave dry food out for them so if they are hungry during the day
they can eat the dry food. But they are still looking for their wet food
when I come home in the evening. I waited two hours this evening and then
gave him a small amount but that came up too! And I'm finding it all over
the house!!! Last night, I was walking up the stairs without the light on
and just saw it in the nick of time!!! He doesn't seem to get dry food back
up but I suppose he just nibbles on that. The obvious solution would be to
stop wet food and only give dry food but my other cat would have objections
to this!!!

I will try just giving him small amounts. And maybe try and feed my other
cat in secret so he doesn't know there is wet food on offer!!!

Siobhán