PDA

View Full Version : Persians and stained eyes

December 14th 05, 01:47 AM
Do any of you have suggestions with this problem on white persians? I
try to wipe his eyes at least twice a day and have bought some liquids
but I always worry about his eye safety so I won't use it as I guess I
should. So find myself just using tissues and/or warm water on a wash
cloth.

I have looked at websites and still not sure if it is something that is
caused internally or externally or the best route to take. Do I need to
keep a cleaner house or would he have some type of infection. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note... I wrote in another thread about rabid cats. I was the
one who had recently been bitten by stray cat. The cat turned out to be
ok, I brought it to vet and it had already been neutered. It seems to
have been a house cat at one time and was dumped by owers (I assume) but
having 5 house cats I can't take in another one so have been feeding her
outside and have shelter for her. But I still want to remind people to
be careful around strays!!

thanks in advance

amary

yngver
December 14th 05, 08:42 PM
wrote:
> Do any of you have suggestions with this problem on white persians? I
> try to wipe his eyes at least twice a day and have bought some liquids
> but I always worry about his eye safety so I won't use it as I guess I
> should. So find myself just using tissues and/or warm water on a wash
> cloth.
>
> I have looked at websites and still not sure if it is something that is
> caused internally or externally or the best route to take. Do I need to
> keep a cleaner house or would he have some type of infection. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

Staining is a common problem with Persian cats due to the shape of
their faces. The safest thing is to do just do as you have been doing,
wiping the eyes daily with a warm wash cloth or soft tissue. However,
there are numerous products made to treat eye stains, particulary for
breeders that show their cats. As for an infection, it wouldn't be a
bad idea to have your vet take a look but normally staining is just due
to the flat face of the Persian.
-Yngver