PDA

View Full Version : Do cats see ghosts?

December 15th 05, 03:14 AM
Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.

I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
had seen something?

claudel
December 15th 05, 03:16 AM
In article om>,
> wrote:
>
>Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.
>
>I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
>restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
>had seen something?

Some do.

Bubba does.

Especially if he's on the 'nip...

Claude

Brian Link
December 15th 05, 06:26 AM
On 14 Dec 2005 19:14:54 -0800, wrote:

>Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.
>
>I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
>restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
>had seen something?

There are innumerable bugs, fleas and moths that we can't make out
unless we look hard. Cats' vision is specialized to focus on movement.

Look hard, and I bet you see a little bug. That hard-to-see bug was
like a flashing beacon to your cat.

Great Kliban cartoon I saw years ago, captioned "cats see things we
don't" with a kitty staring at an empty space beside a human reading a
newspaper. Indeed they see things we don't - but not ghosts.

BLink

Clyde Ferndock
December 15th 05, 01:57 PM
My cats are seeing into an alternate universe, and it scares the hell out
of them. There may be bugs in this alternate universe, but I think it's
something far more scary.

dgk
December 15th 05, 03:01 PM
On 14 Dec 2005 19:14:54 -0800, wrote:

>Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.
>
>I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
>restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
>had seen something?

They do it to drive you nuts. One of mine (Espy) will suddenly just
stare at the wall. I notice, I look, I look at him. I look back at the
wall. Then Espy comes over and demands a treat. Like "made you look,
now feed me".

December 15th 05, 04:49 PM
When Tillie alerts on something I don't see I always wonder if she
seems my Grady cat who lived here and has been gone for so many years
now.
If it was a bug she would go chase it.

yngver
December 15th 05, 05:41 PM
Clyde Ferndock wrote:
> My cats are seeing into an alternate universe, and it scares the hell out
> of them. There may be bugs in this alternate universe, but I think it's
> something far more scary.

I used to have a cat that would suddenly fixate on a spot in which I
couldn't see anything, but she obviously did. Her eyes would dilate and
she did act afraid, so I think she did not like what she was seeing.
She never reacted that way to seeing a bug.
-Gudrun

NMR
December 15th 05, 06:08 PM
Many religions believe that animals can see the other side. Personally IMO
if you are a Christian you have to believe in ghosts if you believe in the
holy spirit.

I don't know what they see but I have seen them act like they were being
petted or talked to when no one was around freak the crap out of me
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> When Tillie alerts on something I don't see I always wonder if she
> seems my Grady cat who lived here and has been gone for so many years
> now.
> If it was a bug she would go chase it.

mlbriggs
December 15th 05, 06:14 PM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:14:54 -0800, casioculture wrote:

> Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.
>
> I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
> restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
> had seen something?

Fourth dimension?

5cats
December 15th 05, 06:43 PM
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:14:54 -0800, casioculture wrote:
>

>> Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.
>>
>> I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
>> restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
>> had seen something?

I think they are hearing things we don't. George used to sit in a corner of
a room and stare up at a corner of the ceiling and yowl. ( no spiders up
there) I think he was *hearing* the ghost in the attic. ;)

Alison
December 15th 05, 08:38 PM
"yngver" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Clyde Ferndock wrote:
> > My cats are seeing into an alternate universe, and it scares the
hell out
> > of them. There may be bugs in this alternate universe, but I
think it's
> > something far more scary.
>
> I used to have a cat that would suddenly fixate on a spot in which I
> couldn't see anything, but she obviously did. Her eyes would dilate
and
> she did act afraid, so I think she did not like what she was seeing.
> She never reacted that way to seeing a bug.
> -Gudrun>>

Thay have very acute hearing too, they hear sonic sounds that we
can't so they are probably also focusing on where a sound is coming
from.
Alison

Willow
December 15th 05, 08:47 PM
They do that just to scare you !

Belkira used to do that.. he would stop and stare, and seem to follow
something.. and then when I'd get up to look closer he'd walk away like
nothing happened..

In one appartment I had a couch in the middle of the living room (not
against the wall) and he'd be in my lap and suddently start starring over my
shoulder and "follow" whatever it was with his eyes...

Scared me to death.. He always seemed very proud of himself afterward..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.
>
> I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
> restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
> had seen something?

whitershadeofpale
December 15th 05, 11:06 PM
Willow wrote:

> Scared me to death.. He always seemed very proud of himself afterward..

you know, I thought the same thing when I read the op

I thought maybe the cat was making sport of her

Who Else

.....WHO'S NEXT!

.......................STEP RIGHT UP

Brian Link
December 16th 05, 03:08 AM
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:08:04 GMT, "NMR"
> wrote:

>Many religions believe that animals can see the other side. Personally IMO
>if you are a Christian you have to believe in ghosts if you believe in the
>holy spirit.
>
>I don't know what they see but I have seen them act like they were being
>petted or talked to when no one was around freak the crap out of me
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> When Tillie alerts on something I don't see I always wonder if she
>> seems my Grady cat who lived here and has been gone for so many years
>> now.
>> If it was a bug she would go chase it.

Not to digress, but the "Holy Spirit" is not a ghost - it's a
bona-fide deity (yes, yes I know, but Trinitarian logic is pretty
complicated).

However, if you're a Christian or Jew you may believe in ghosts
because the Witch of Endor summoned the ghost Samuel the Prophet for
King Saul.

Great drama, that story. Samuel's ****ed at being called back, and his
last comment to Saul is "Today, thou and thy son ... shall be with me
below". Good idea not to ask ghosts for advice, I guess.

BLink

December 16th 05, 07:42 AM
wrote:
> When Tillie alerts on something I don't see I always wonder if she
> seems my Grady cat who lived here and has been gone for so many years
> now.
> If it was a bug she would go chase it.

I don't think it would be a bug because had it been a bug, that tiny as
to be invisible to us, it'd be blown even by the lightest air in every
direction like crazy and not still in midair, nevermind the cat chasing
it.

William Hamblen
December 17th 05, 12:46 AM
On 2005-12-15, NMR > wrote:
> Many religions believe that animals can see the other side. Personally IMO
> if you are a Christian you have to believe in ghosts if you believe in the
> holy spirit.

No you don't.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

meumar
December 31st 05, 09:48 PM
Yeah it's really weird. My cat goes once in a while to the back guest
room, looks under the bed, and meows. When I go over to check, there
is nothing there! She does this about once a month.

January 1st 06, 03:39 PM
LOL! Well all of my cats have always looked past me into thin air and got
their dinner plate eyes stare going at some imaginary figure behind me
(always behind me!) and at times (more often then I like to admit) I've been
suckered into turning around and having a look too.

"meumar" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Yeah it's really weird. My cat goes once in a while to the back guest
> room, looks under the bed, and meows. When I go over to check, there
> is nothing there! She does this about once a month.

AZ Nomad
January 9th 06, 08:56 PM
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:57:46 GMT, Clyde Ferndock > wrote:

>My cats are seeing into an alternate universe, and it scares the hell out
>of them. There may be bugs in this alternate universe, but I think it's
>something far more scary.

Bugs? Not worth it. Kitty is seeing mice in an alternate universe,
or perhaps an offering of fresh tuna or recently grilled swordfish.

jwardl
January 10th 06, 05:15 AM
Maybe kitty is high, and having delusions.

Found any rolling papers and catnip hidden under the bed lately? ;)

"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:14:54 -0800, casioculture wrote:
>

>> Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.
>>
>> I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
>> restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
>> had seen something?
>

> Fourth dimension?

Shardonay
January 11th 06, 04:22 PM
mlbriggs wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:14:54 -0800, casioculture wrote:
>

>>Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.
>>
>>I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
>>restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
>>had seen something?
>

> Fourth dimension?

One of my cats does this in the same spot in my house (front door
alcove) about once a month, sometimes more often. He stares and meows
at something near the ceiling, then stops and returns to whatever he was
doing.

Cat Herder
January 20th 06, 01:06 AM
mlbriggs wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:14:54 -0800, casioculture wrote:
>

>>Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not superstitious.
>>
>>I reprhase; why do cats sometimes seem to spring up from their
>>restfulness and stare intensely into the void of the room as if they
>>had seen something?
>

> Fourth dimension?

A couple of days after I got my first cat, we where playing in the sofa
an all of a sudden she starred with a frightened look over my head and
tried to hide in a *very* small void under the fireplace.

I was new at cat owning so I was still trying to convince her she could
sleep in the room with us, but not in the bed, so this involved putting
her back in her kitty bed about 15 to 25 times until giving up, that
night she stayed in her bed looking at me with those big scared eyes, it
scared the bejesus out of me, but thankfully she has never done that again.

I heard something once that could be a scientific explanation for some
of this behaviors (I like to think there is always one), is that cats
can even hear electricity flowing through the house wiring (have you
ever stood under power lines?), so their attention could be on a noise
we can't hear..

--
Chris