PDA

View Full Version : Question for those w/ hardwood floors

Snittens
December 18th 05, 07:51 AM
We just had hardwood floors installed throughout the upstairs of our home,
and will do the same to the downstairs in a couple months. We previously
had carpet.
Seven cats live here. Yes, I understand cats are nocturnal and I've gone
along with them jumping in and out of bed with us, etc. But now with the
wood floors, the cats zooming around and batting their toys is so f'ing
LOUD! They sound like galloping horses. It's driving us crazy! What can
we do to dampen the noise? Put booties on their feet? I guess we could
kick them out of the bedrooms and close the doors, but that would be a last
resort. The cats would not like that.

TIA.

Stacey Weinberger
December 18th 05, 08:15 AM
I've got the same problem. You eventually get used to the sound and it
doesn't bother you so much any more.

Stacey

"Snittens" > wrote in message
> We just had hardwood floors installed throughout the upstairs of our home,
> and will do the same to the downstairs in a couple months. We previously
> had carpet.
> Seven cats live here. Yes, I understand cats are nocturnal and I've gone
> along with them jumping in and out of bed with us, etc. But now with the
> wood floors, the cats zooming around and batting their toys is so f'ing
> LOUD! They sound like galloping horses. It's driving us crazy! What can
> we do to dampen the noise? Put booties on their feet? I guess we could
> kick them out of the bedrooms and close the doors, but that would be a
> last resort. The cats would not like that.
>
> TIA.

Joe Canuck
December 18th 05, 02:12 PM
Snittens wrote:
> We just had hardwood floors installed throughout the upstairs of our home,
> and will do the same to the downstairs in a couple months. We previously
> had carpet.
> Seven cats live here. Yes, I understand cats are nocturnal and I've gone
> along with them jumping in and out of bed with us, etc. But now with the
> wood floors, the cats zooming around and batting their toys is so f'ing
> LOUD! They sound like galloping horses. It's driving us crazy! What can
> we do to dampen the noise? Put booties on their feet? I guess we could
> kick them out of the bedrooms and close the doors, but that would be a last
> resort. The cats would not like that.
>
> TIA.

One of the following will happen:

-You will get used to it.

-The cats may eventually slow down some with age.

-You will get so fed up with it that you will resort to installing
carpet over the hardword.

:-D

Snittens
December 19th 05, 02:28 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In article >,
> Joe Canuck > wrote:
>
>> -You will get so fed up with it that you will resort to installing
>> carpet over the hardword.
>
> Or covering up key patches with area rugs. :)

OK, I guess I'll just have to deal, or maybe put some area rugs in the hall
to at least break their gallop.
Ah, cats!

-Kelly

Karen
December 19th 05, 02:47 AM
On 2005-12-18 19:28:23 -0600, "Snittens" > said:

> "Diane" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> In article >,
>> Joe Canuck > wrote:
>>
>>> -You will get so fed up with it that you will resort to installing
>>> carpet over the hardword.
>>
>> Or covering up key patches with area rugs. :)
>
> OK, I guess I'll just have to deal, or maybe put some area rugs in the
> hall to at least break their gallop.
> Ah, cats!
>
> -Kelly

But you need to make sure you get some of that rug stuff that makes it
stick a bit. Let me tell you, rug surfing is second only to food in
cat world.

Snittens
December 19th 05, 08:17 AM
"Karen" > wrote

> But you need to make sure you get some of that rug stuff that makes it
> stick a bit. Let me tell you, rug surfing is second only to food in cat
> world.

LOL! I can just picture it :) Thanks for the warning!

-Kelly

-L.
December 19th 05, 09:26 AM
Snittens wrote:

> OK, I guess I'll just have to deal, or maybe put some area rugs in the hall
> to at least break their gallop.
> Ah, cats!
>
> -Kelly

Be sure to trim their nails often, and rugs do help a lot with sound.
:)
-L.

PawsForThought
December 19th 05, 01:14 PM
Stacey Weinberger wrote:
> I've got the same problem. You eventually get used to the sound and it
> doesn't bother you so much any more.
>
> Stacey\

Same here. At first it was kind of loud. The funny thing was the cats
weren't used to floors at all because our last house was all carpeted.
They're used to the floors now, as we are. You could put down some
area rugs too if you wanted.

Paul M. Cook
December 20th 05, 02:50 AM
"Snittens" > wrote in message
> We just had hardwood floors installed throughout the upstairs of our home,
> and will do the same to the downstairs in a couple months. We previously
> had carpet.
> Seven cats live here. Yes, I understand cats are nocturnal and I've gone
> along with them jumping in and out of bed with us, etc. But now with the
> wood floors, the cats zooming around and batting their toys is so f'ing
> LOUD! They sound like galloping horses. It's driving us crazy! What can
> we do to dampen the noise? Put booties on their feet? I guess we could
> kick them out of the bedrooms and close the doors, but that would be a
last
> resort. The cats would not like that.

Just be patient. The cats have discovered a new toy, your floors. They
probably love the sound they make and it excites them. They're just having
a blast with something new. But they will grow tired of it soon enough.
You could also consider throw rugs.

Paul

Joe Canuck
December 20th 05, 03:47 AM
Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Snittens" > wrote in message
>
>>We just had hardwood floors installed throughout the upstairs of our home,
>>and will do the same to the downstairs in a couple months. We previously
>>had carpet.
>>Seven cats live here. Yes, I understand cats are nocturnal and I've gone
>>along with them jumping in and out of bed with us, etc. But now with the
>>wood floors, the cats zooming around and batting their toys is so f'ing
>>LOUD! They sound like galloping horses. It's driving us crazy! What can
>>we do to dampen the noise? Put booties on their feet? I guess we could
>>kick them out of the bedrooms and close the doors, but that would be a
>
> last
>
>>resort. The cats would not like that.
>

> Just be patient. The cats have discovered a new toy, your floors. They
> probably love the sound they make and it excites them. They're just having
> a blast with something new. But they will grow tired of it soon enough.
> You could also consider throw rugs.
>
> Paul

Yes, throw rugs... another cat toy. :-D

a christmas tree
December 20th 05, 04:54 AM
Snittens wrote:
> We just had hardwood floors installed throughout the upstairs of our home.
> TIA.

blrrrrrrrrrrraaaat!

sissy baby! hit someone and run

CRY BABY! CRY BABY!

cybercat
December 21st 05, 07:19 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote >
> Yes, throw rugs... another cat toy. :-D

My Gracie gathers the one in the hall up and kicks the snot
out of it every morning while she is waiting for me to feed
her. She growls while she does this, then tears around the
kitchen and up the stairs and back down again to have
another go at the rug. :)

December 24th 05, 03:33 AM
Snittens wrote:
> We just had hardwood floors installed throughout the upstairs of our home,
> and will do the same to the downstairs in a couple months. We previously
> had carpet.
> Seven cats live here. Yes, I understand cats are nocturnal and I've gone
> along with them jumping in and out of bed with us, etc. But now with the
> wood floors, the cats zooming around and batting their toys is so f'ing
> LOUD! They sound like galloping horses. It's driving us crazy! What can
> we do to dampen the noise? Put booties on their feet? I guess we could
> kick them out of the bedrooms and close the doors, but that would be a last
> resort. The cats would not like that.
>
> TIA.

Except for the bathroom, my whole house has HW floors. Other than some
area rugs to dampen the noise, there's not a lot you can do. Well, at
night, I make sure there are no toys - like hard plastic balls - still
hanging around that would wake me up if they decided to bat them around
at 3:30 in the morning. Only soft cat toys are left out at night.

It sounds worse on the floor underneath when they're galloping around &
playing feline hockey - or soccer - than it does when you're on the
same floor of the house. If you're downstairs from the
galloping/playing, it sounds like they're horses rather than cats up
there. ;-)

Cathy