PDA

View Full Version : Cat acts fine, but is hardly eating

bookbug2005
December 19th 05, 06:40 PM
My 1 year old neutered male is acting as playful and active as usual,
but for the past 24 hours has had little interest in food. He has
eaten small amounts, but much less than his usual chow hound behavior.
If it weren't for the significant decrease in appetite I wouldn't even
begin to think that anything could be wrong. He's alert, playful,
active, and so far pooping the same amount. It's the first time he's
ever been disinterested in food though.

Is this natural? Like just a mood?

Thanks! Michelle

PawsForThought
December 19th 05, 06:51 PM
bookbug2005 wrote:
> My 1 year old neutered male is acting as playful and active as usual,
> but for the past 24 hours has had little interest in food. He has
> eaten small amounts, but much less than his usual chow hound behavior.
> If it weren't for the significant decrease in appetite I wouldn't even
> begin to think that anything could be wrong. He's alert, playful,
> active, and so far pooping the same amount. It's the first time he's
> ever been disinterested in food though.
>
> Is this natural? Like just a mood?
>
> Thanks! Michelle

Sometimes one of my cats will go off his/her food for a day or so. I
think it's typical. I would just keep a close eye on your boy. I
wonder too sometimes if cats start tiring of eating the same thing for
every meal.

5cats
December 19th 05, 06:54 PM
bookbug2005 wrote:

> My 1 year old neutered male is acting as playful and active as usual,
> but for the past 24 hours has had little interest in food. He has
> eaten small amounts, but much less than his usual chow hound behavior.
> If it weren't for the significant decrease in appetite I wouldn't even
> begin to think that anything could be wrong. He's alert, playful,
> active, and so far pooping the same amount. It's the first time he's
> ever been disinterested in food though.
>
> Is this natural? Like just a mood?

It could be just a small cold that is imparing his sense of smell so he
has less appetite. Try to get him interested in some particularly smelly
food, warming it a bit in the microwave will release more odor. maybe
even dab a bit of his favorite canned food on his lips, sort of priming
the pump to get him interested again.

If his appetite doesn't pick up soon though, it's time for a vet visit to
rule out more serious issues. And if he stops eating altogether,
definately get him to a vet ASAP.

Sandra
December 19th 05, 07:07 PM
Is he an indoor only cat, or has he had access to outside goodies?

Our indoor cats sometimes go off food, eating far less, sometimes it can be
boredom with whatever they eat. Try some kind of treat, and if that is
wolfed down he may be just trying to train you!

Do give him a once over though. Check the mouth for sores or bad teeth. Does
his breath smell bad? Any discharge from nose or eyes? Is he drinking ok? If
it carries on for more than a couple of days then it may be vet time. I
always go to the vet with our cats if I am at all concerned,but know only
too well that our cats can be fussy eaters!

--
Sandra

bookbug2005
December 19th 05, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all of your insightful replies. Yes, Charley is an inside
only cat. So maybe he is "training" us for a little food variety,
although up until this point, he hasn't been particularly picky. Of
course, he is moving from kittyhood into adulthood, so I would expect
his behavior might change somewhat.

As for drinking, I've always found it rather hard to monitor his
drinking. Cats don't drink much compared to other critters. So, I
don't know about it unless he comes to me with wet paws. He plays in
his water dish, so I'm assuming there's some drinking going on there
somewhere.

And 5cats may be onto something with a mild cold. After I posted this
email, I tried Charley on a bit of tuna--my tuna--which may be more
strong flavored than some of the other things I've offered him, and he
didn't turn it down. Either that, or it's back to the him training us
hypothesis.

In any case, you can rest assured I'll be keeping a close on him.

Thanks again!
Michelle

Willow
December 19th 05, 10:55 PM
You know what's funny about Tuna? I'm VERY strict about not giving the cat
or the dog human food.. on the theory that I wanna eat in peace..

Well.. the dog taught herself to beg... but that's another story..

When I open a can of tuna, you'd think that Gaya has a radar or something..
she can be at the other end of the house on the second floor.. and she still
comes running BEFORE I open the can...

She can't even smell it it's before I open the darned thing..

There's a thing about Tuna.. it vibrates a different way or something.. Oh
and I keep it with all the other cans.. and she doesn't run for anything
else.. so it's not a specific door sound or anything.

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"bookbug2005" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for all of your insightful replies. Yes, Charley is an inside
> only cat. So maybe he is "training" us for a little food variety,
> although up until this point, he hasn't been particularly picky. Of
> course, he is moving from kittyhood into adulthood, so I would expect
> his behavior might change somewhat.
>
> As for drinking, I've always found it rather hard to monitor his
> drinking. Cats don't drink much compared to other critters. So, I
> don't know about it unless he comes to me with wet paws. He plays in
> his water dish, so I'm assuming there's some drinking going on there
> somewhere.
>
> And 5cats may be onto something with a mild cold. After I posted this
> email, I tried Charley on a bit of tuna--my tuna--which may be more
> strong flavored than some of the other things I've offered him, and he
> didn't turn it down. Either that, or it's back to the him training us
> hypothesis.
>
> In any case, you can rest assured I'll be keeping a close on him.
>
> Thanks again!
> Michelle

mlbriggs
December 19th 05, 11:03 PM
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:55:13 +0000, Willow wrote:

> You know what's funny about Tuna? I'm VERY strict about not giving the cat
> or the dog human food.. on the theory that I wanna eat in peace..
>
> Well.. the dog taught herself to beg... but that's another story..
>
> When I open a can of tuna, you'd think that Gaya has a radar or something..
> she can be at the other end of the house on the second floor.. and she still
> comes running BEFORE I open the can...
>
> She can't even smell it it's before I open the darned thing..
>
> There's a thing about Tuna.. it vibrates a different way or something.. Oh
> and I keep it with all the other cans.. and she doesn't run for anything
> else.. so it's not a specific door sound or anything.

She is reading your mind! MLB

Willow
December 20th 05, 06:55 AM
No kidding

--

"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:55:13 +0000, Willow wrote:
>
> > You know what's funny about Tuna? I'm VERY strict about not giving the
cat
> > or the dog human food.. on the theory that I wanna eat in peace..
> >
> > Well.. the dog taught herself to beg... but that's another story..
> >
> > When I open a can of tuna, you'd think that Gaya has a radar or
something..
> > she can be at the other end of the house on the second floor.. and she
still
> > comes running BEFORE I open the can...
> >
> > She can't even smell it it's before I open the darned thing..
> >
> > There's a thing about Tuna.. it vibrates a different way or something..
Oh
> > and I keep it with all the other cans.. and she doesn't run for anything
> > else.. so it's not a specific door sound or anything.
>

> She is reading your mind! MLB

a christmas tree
December 20th 05, 02:05 PM
Willow wrote:

> There's a thing about Tuna.. it vibrates a different way or something.. Oh
> and I keep it with all the other cans.. and she doesn't run for anything
> else.. so it's not a specific door sound or anything.

how neat, like you say, the tuna can must have it's own unique sound

to see if she is reading your mind, you'd have to buy the tuna in a
pouch
see if she knows when your tearing the top off...

:

Rhino
December 20th 05, 02:56 PM
"Willow" > wrote in message
. net...
> You know what's funny about Tuna? I'm VERY strict about not giving the cat
> or the dog human food.. on the theory that I wanna eat in peace..
>
> Well.. the dog taught herself to beg... but that's another story..
>
> When I open a can of tuna, you'd think that Gaya has a radar or
> something..
> she can be at the other end of the house on the second floor.. and she
> still
> comes running BEFORE I open the can...
>
> She can't even smell it it's before I open the darned thing..
>
> There's a thing about Tuna.. it vibrates a different way or something.. Oh
> and I keep it with all the other cans.. and she doesn't run for anything
> else.. so it's not a specific door sound or anything.

Are you sure she is reacting to the smell of Tuna? Maybe she is reacting to
the sound of the can opener? I've seen that happen before when I was a kid:
if you used the can opener any time near to the cat's dinner time, he'd
assume you were opening a can for him, even if you were just opening a can
of human food.

Rhino

Willow
December 20th 05, 04:51 PM
Good idea :o)

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"a christmas tree" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Willow wrote:
>
> > There's a thing about Tuna.. it vibrates a different way or something..
Oh
> > and I keep it with all the other cans.. and she doesn't run for anything
> > else.. so it's not a specific door sound or anything.
>
> how neat, like you say, the tuna can must have it's own unique sound
>
> to see if she is reading your mind, you'd have to buy the tuna in a
> pouch
> see if she knows when your tearing the top off...
>
> :

Willow
December 20th 05, 04:53 PM
Thing is she does it only for tuna.. I open other cans and she doesn't
react.. my husband think the can makes a different sound on the counter..
maybe...

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"Rhino" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Willow" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > You know what's funny about Tuna? I'm VERY strict about not giving the
cat
> > or the dog human food.. on the theory that I wanna eat in peace..
> >
> > Well.. the dog taught herself to beg... but that's another story..
> >
> > When I open a can of tuna, you'd think that Gaya has a radar or
> > something..
> > she can be at the other end of the house on the second floor.. and she
> > still
> > comes running BEFORE I open the can...
> >
> > She can't even smell it it's before I open the darned thing..
> >
> > There's a thing about Tuna.. it vibrates a different way or something..
Oh
> > and I keep it with all the other cans.. and she doesn't run for anything
> > else.. so it's not a specific door sound or anything.
> >
> Are you sure she is reacting to the smell of Tuna? Maybe she is reacting
> the sound of the can opener? I've seen that happen before when I was a
kid:
> if you used the can opener any time near to the cat's dinner time, he'd
> assume you were opening a can for him, even if you were just opening a can
> of human food.
>
> Rhino

cybercat
December 21st 05, 07:22 PM
"Diane" > wrote:

> Hodge the perpetually hungry doesn't react to can openers at all, which
> is very strange -- Pudge could hear one at a million paces. :)

My hungry cat knows the sound of the saucers as I take one out of the
cabinet,
but just in case she misses anything, leaps up and heads for the kitchen any
time
I do. Mr. meanie sometimes makes sport of her by holding her in his arms
while I open the top of the FF can--she hears the "shhhhhhhpppppt" of the
tab top coming off and turns herself inside out to get down. :)

Wendy
December 22nd 05, 12:57 PM
"Rhino" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Willow" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> You know what's funny about Tuna? I'm VERY strict about not giving the
>> cat
>> or the dog human food.. on the theory that I wanna eat in peace..
>>
>> Well.. the dog taught herself to beg... but that's another story..
>>
>> When I open a can of tuna, you'd think that Gaya has a radar or
>> something..
>> she can be at the other end of the house on the second floor.. and she
>> still
>> comes running BEFORE I open the can...
>>
>> She can't even smell it it's before I open the darned thing..
>>
>> There's a thing about Tuna.. it vibrates a different way or something..
>> Oh
>> and I keep it with all the other cans.. and she doesn't run for anything
>> else.. so it's not a specific door sound or anything.
>>
> Are you sure she is reacting to the smell of Tuna? Maybe she is reacting
> to the sound of the can opener? I've seen that happen before when I was a
> kid: if you used the can opener any time near to the cat's dinner time,
> he'd assume you were opening a can for him, even if you were just opening
> a can of human food.
>
> Rhino

My guys used to come running at the sound of the can opener coming out of
the drawer. They got burned often enough when it was only a can of soup that
now they wait for the first pop of the can of tuna opening before budging.
Guess that's because my chow hound, Diego, isn't a big tuna fan. My Tigger
was a can opener cat. She'd hear it and come running (well later it was
stumping) into the kitchen just sure it was tuna treat time.

The cat food cans don't need a can opener to open so there's no confusion
about that.

Wendy
December 22nd 05, 01:06 PM
Maybe it's the sound of the contents. There is a particular sloshing sound
that a can of tuna makes

"Willow" > wrote in message
. ..
> Thing is she does it only for tuna.. I open other cans and she doesn't
> react.. my husband think the can makes a different sound on the counter..
> maybe...
>
> --
> Will~
>
> "... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."
>
> Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.
>

> "Rhino" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "Willow" > wrote in message
>> . net...
>> > You know what's funny about Tuna? I'm VERY strict about not giving the
> cat
>> > or the dog human food.. on the theory that I wanna eat in peace..
>> >
>> > Well.. the dog taught herself to beg... but that's another story..
>> >
>> > When I open a can of tuna, you'd think that Gaya has a radar or
>> > something..
>> > she can be at the other end of the house on the second floor.. and she
>> > still
>> > comes running BEFORE I open the can...
>> >
>> > She can't even smell it it's before I open the darned thing..
>> >
>> > There's a thing about Tuna.. it vibrates a different way or something..
> Oh
>> > and I keep it with all the other cans.. and she doesn't run for
>> > anything
>> > else.. so it's not a specific door sound or anything.
>> >
>> Are you sure she is reacting to the smell of Tuna? Maybe she is reacting
>> the sound of the can opener? I've seen that happen before when I was a
> kid:
>> if you used the can opener any time near to the cat's dinner time, he'd
>> assume you were opening a can for him, even if you were just opening a
>> can
>> of human food.
>>
>> Rhino

chas
December 22nd 05, 06:21 PM
My has wet food from the pouches and she knows the sound of one being torn
open!

chas