PDA

View Full Version : cat attacks new dog

Marie
December 21st 05, 06:11 AM
We took in a stray cocker spaniel a week ago, he is very friendly and pretty
much ignores the cat. But my cat attacks the dog. We've had the cat 1.5
years and she is fine with our lab. But if the new dog walks by, the cat
jumps him and really hurts him. He had blood pouring down his ears a few
days ago. I have to keep them separated. How can I get the cat used to the
new dog? She was a kitten when we got her, so there really wasn't a problem
getting her used to the dog we had then. This dog really does pretty much
ignore the cat...he may look at her when I try to have them in the same room
but he does not even try to mess with her until the cat jumps him.
Marie

NMR
December 21st 05, 12:26 PM
How did you introduce the new dog to the cat. I got the feeling it was to
way to quick and the cat now considers the dog an intruder.
"Marie" > wrote in message
> We took in a stray cocker spaniel a week ago, he is very friendly and
> pretty
> much ignores the cat. But my cat attacks the dog. We've had the cat 1.5
> years and she is fine with our lab. But if the new dog walks by, the cat
> jumps him and really hurts him. He had blood pouring down his ears a few
> days ago. I have to keep them separated. How can I get the cat used to the
> new dog? She was a kitten when we got her, so there really wasn't a
> problem
> getting her used to the dog we had then. This dog really does pretty much
> ignore the cat...he may look at her when I try to have them in the same
> room
> but he does not even try to mess with her until the cat jumps him.
> Marie

Marie
December 21st 05, 02:25 PM
"NMR" > wrote in message
. ..
> How did you introduce the new dog to the cat. I got the feeling it was to
> way to quick and the cat now considers the dog an intruder.

After a couple of days, I put them in the same room together but had the new
dog on a leash in case he did not like cats. He walked around her and tried
to smell her, but there was nothing agressive about him until the cat
attacked him.
Marie

MaryL
December 21st 05, 05:33 PM
"NMR" > wrote in message
. ..
> How did you introduce the new dog to the cat. I got the feeling it was to
> way to quick and the cat now considers the dog an intruder.
> "Marie" > wrote in message
>> We took in a stray cocker spaniel a week ago, he is very friendly and
>> pretty
>> much ignores the cat. But my cat attacks the dog. We've had the cat 1.5
>> years and she is fine with our lab. But if the new dog walks by, the cat
>> jumps him and really hurts him. He had blood pouring down his ears a few
>> days ago. I have to keep them separated. How can I get the cat used to
>> the
>> new dog? She was a kitten when we got her, so there really wasn't a
>> problem
>> getting her used to the dog we had then. This dog really does pretty much
>> ignore the cat...he may look at her when I try to have them in the same
>> room
>> but he does not even try to mess with her until the cat jumps him.
>> Marie

As suggested by another poster, that is way too fast. I suggest that you
look up some articles on how to introduce two cats, and apply the same
information to your situation. I spent a full 6 weeks slowly and carefully
introducing Duffy and Holly (although I admit that I had warning that Holly
could be aggressive toward any other cat in my presence -- but the slow and
careful approach paid off with a happy twosome who are now good friends). I
have previously posted some fairly lengthy descriptions of the process I
used. Above all, you need to ensure that your cat (the original resident in
your home) does not feel that she is being displaced by the dog. Give her
*lots* of attention every time the dog is in the room with her.

MaryL