PDA

View Full Version : Tapeworm - Reinfection

December 23rd 05, 04:50 PM
Hello!

My 2 year old cat had (possibly, we're not sure because the vet didnt
know what he was doing and since we have changed the vet) roundworms
and tapeworms.

After the treatments, she was back to being a healthy cat, running
around. Her anus was bleeding a little, but after the treamtments she
was fine.

Now i noticed that under her tail are little yellow rice-like piecies,
which I know are tapeworm eggs (no bleeding). But she hasnt been
outside since she's gotten better. Which means we have fleas in the
house that we're unaware of? The vet never saw any fleas on her
person, and she doesnt scratch herself often.

How can we prevent reinfection?

Thanks! (we're taking her to the vet hopefully tonight.. not sure about
their holiday schedules.)

MaryL
December 23rd 05, 05:32 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello!
>
> My 2 year old cat had (possibly, we're not sure because the vet didnt
> know what he was doing and since we have changed the vet) roundworms
> and tapeworms.
>
> After the treatments, she was back to being a healthy cat, running
> around. Her anus was bleeding a little, but after the treamtments she
> was fine.
>
> Now i noticed that under her tail are little yellow rice-like piecies,
> which I know are tapeworm eggs (no bleeding). But she hasnt been
> outside since she's gotten better. Which means we have fleas in the
> house that we're unaware of? The vet never saw any fleas on her
> person, and she doesnt scratch herself often.
>
> How can we prevent reinfection?
>
> Thanks! (we're taking her to the vet hopefully tonight.. not sure about
> their holiday schedules.)

In addition to treating for tapeworm (easily done, and your vet will supply
the necessary medication), you should also treat for fleas. If you haven't
noticed any, it's likely that you don't have a severe problem. I would ask
the vet for Advantage and treat for a couple of months. Advantage is very
safe and is easy to administer -- it is a liquid that is squeezed out of a
small tube on the back of the neck (near the shoulder blades, where the cat
cannot lick it). Ask your vet to demonstrate if you haven't used it
previously. It only needs to be administered once a month.

My vet once said that fleas have "timed release" eggs because they hatch at
widely varied intervals, and some hatch as long as 2 years later. You could
also bring fleas into the house on your feet, or friends could transport
them from their own homes if any of their pets have fleas.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Annie Wxill
December 23rd 05, 08:28 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
....>
> Now i noticed ...tapeworm eggs ... But she hasnt been
> outside since she's gotten better. Which means we have fleas in the
> house that we're unaware of? ...> How can we prevent reinfection?

When you take your cat to the vet, ask about Revolution or Advantage.
Annie

December 28th 05, 08:31 PM
aha! Turns out that she had tapeworms all along.. the 2 medications
that our old evil vet gave her were not for tapeworms, but were only
for roundworms! So now she's on Drontal (sp?). The vet also informed
me that I will be seeing these worms!! :( :( Is it just one really
long tape worm, or many?

He also gave her something for fleas, even though he didnt see any on
her person (a liquid behind her neck)

So.. now there are little tapeworm eggs all over our house? I assume
some serious vaccuming is in order.