PDA

View Full Version : Beloved pet crossed the bridge today.

December 23rd 05, 09:55 PM
Seventeen years ago it was -30C and I was bending over to plug in my
car when a tiny scrap of black fur quite literally fastened his little
body around my face. Nose to nose, he mewed at me, the most pathetic
little sound you can imagine. To me it said "Lady, if you don't take me
in I'm going to die."

That little scrap was starving and freezing and, no surprize, no one
came to claim him despite our ads. He stayed on. He eventually grew
into one very big black long haired cat with a sprinkling of white
hairs. We don't know what breed he was but his behaviour was like a
ragdoll and his shape and size and face structure was that of a Maine
Coon. He had the longest fluffiest tail I ever saw on a cat.We started
out calling him Ebony but it wasn't right. IN a few eeks everyone was
just calling him Schnookie.

Schnookie was a very easy going and easy to love animal. Many other
pets came and went during his tenure. He had a knack for making friends
with everyone in our house and a real love for babies, including,
strangely enough, the human kind. For a time we ran a cat rescue in our
house and 17 cats came and went, many of them kittens, over the five
year period. Schnookie could always be counted on to welcome the
newcomer and cuddle and wash a lonely kitten. He even attended the
dellivery of a dsitraught mother and appeared to calm her. Most
recently, he positively doted over my grandson and didn't seem to mind
at all when the toddler mauled him and even when the baby pulled out
his fur. For years, Schnookie decided his special duty was putting my
daughter to bed at night. When she left for university he was lost and
miserable for weeks afterward without his special charge.

For the last four years of his life he lived with my son in a two
bedroom upstairs suite with his dear friend, a big fluffy Humane
Society rescue named Trixie. He remained king of the neigbourhood, the
last of our cats who ever went and roamed outside, although towards the
end he never left the yard.

About six months it was obvious he was in decline. First, he lost his
front upper fang. Then he was no longer winning fights in his yard so
that stranger were spraying his doorstep and he stopped going outdoors.
He began losing weight and his thick glossy fur lost its luster. Last
month he slowly became irritable and withdrawn and began holding his
left ear at a funny angle and his neck out in an awkward way. This week
he started having accidents. His ability to control his bladder had
never been great, but suddenly he was spraying and dribbling
everywhere.

The vet said dear Schnookie had developed a growth, most likely a
lymphoma type cancer, in his neck with tentacles extending up into his
ear and down into his chest and back, and likely into other places and
the wetting problem was related to a direct metastasis or a way of
showing his pain.

Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
weeks.

Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.

Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
love and good food.

See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

Gail
December 23rd 05, 10:05 PM
What a lovely story. I am so sorry for your loss. He was a dear friend.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> showing his pain.
>
> Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
> lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
> weeks.
>
> Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
> special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
> life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.
>
> Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
> survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
> wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
> comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
> love and good food.
>
> See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
> there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

cybercat
December 23rd 05, 10:06 PM
> wrote

> See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old
friendsthere ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

He sounds like a really wonderful cat. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Willow
December 23rd 05, 10:12 PM
Seems like you two brought so much to each others..

I'm sorry you lost Schnookie, I've been there I know how it hurts.

I can't help thinking that he was so lucky to have found you and so were you
!

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> showing his pain.
>
> Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
> lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
> weeks.
>
> Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
> special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
> life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.
>
> Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
> survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
> wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
> comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
> love and good food.
>
> See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
> there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

bookbug2005
December 23rd 05, 10:39 PM
Schnookie sounds like a truly awesome cat. Thanks for sharing his
story. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Michelle

Karen
December 23rd 05, 10:51 PM
Wow. He really was a special cat that had a long happy life because of you.
I"m so sorry for your grief, but I'm happy you took him in. "Lady, you did
good."

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> showing his pain.
>
> Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
> lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
> weeks.
>
> Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
> special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
> life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.
>
> Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
> survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
> wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
> comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
> love and good food.
>
> See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
> there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

MaryL
December 24th 05, 12:28 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
<beautiful message snipped to reduce length>
> Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
> lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
> weeks.
>
> Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
> special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
> life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.
>
> Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
> survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
> wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
> comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
> love and good food.
>
> See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
> there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

What a wonderful tribute. This is one of those messages that made me cry,
but they are bittersweet tears because it is obvious that Schnookie had a
wonderful life.

MaryL

Niel Humphreys
December 24th 05, 02:37 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Seventeen years ago it was -30C and I was bending over to plug in my
> car when a tiny scrap of black fur quite literally fastened his little
> body around my face. Nose to nose, he mewed at me, the most pathetic
> little sound you can imagine. To me it said "Lady, if you don't take me
> in I'm going to die."
>
> That little scrap was starving and freezing and, no surprize, no one
> came to claim him despite our ads. He stayed on. He eventually grew
> into one very big black long haired cat with a sprinkling of white
> hairs. We don't know what breed he was but his behaviour was like a
> ragdoll and his shape and size and face structure was that of a Maine
> Coon. He had the longest fluffiest tail I ever saw on a cat.We started
> out calling him Ebony but it wasn't right. IN a few eeks everyone was
> just calling him Schnookie.
>
> Schnookie was a very easy going and easy to love animal. Many other
> pets came and went during his tenure. He had a knack for making friends
> with everyone in our house and a real love for babies, including,
> strangely enough, the human kind. For a time we ran a cat rescue in our
> house and 17 cats came and went, many of them kittens, over the five
> year period. Schnookie could always be counted on to welcome the
> newcomer and cuddle and wash a lonely kitten. He even attended the
> dellivery of a dsitraught mother and appeared to calm her. Most
> recently, he positively doted over my grandson and didn't seem to mind
> at all when the toddler mauled him and even when the baby pulled out
> his fur. For years, Schnookie decided his special duty was putting my
> daughter to bed at night. When she left for university he was lost and
> miserable for weeks afterward without his special charge.

<<<Schnookie>>>
--

Niel H

Barb
December 24th 05, 03:23 AM
So sorry about losing Schnookie. Sometimes a cat you just seem to meet in
the street turns out to be so magical. Schnookie really did live a very
long life for a cat and seems like a very good life, too, except for the
last few days.

Cats of course have a much shorter life span than we do so that we can take
care of them through their whole lifetime. But it sure does feel terrible
when they have to leave.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

mlbriggs
December 24th 05, 03:48 AM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:55:45 -0800, Judith011 wrote:

> [...]
> showing his pain.
>
> Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
> lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
> weeks.
>
> Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
> special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
> life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.
>
> Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
> survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
> wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
> comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
> love and good food.
>
> See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
> there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

"Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences in the passing of your well loved friend. MLB

a christmas tree
December 24th 05, 04:13 AM
wrote:

> See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
> there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

Hello

Very sorry to hear about your loss

It is nice to know there are people like you in the world
someone that cares like you do

Barry

blkcatgal
December 24th 05, 04:45 AM
Schnookie was one lucky cat to have found you and you were lucky to have
found him. I am very sorry for your loss.

Sue
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> showing his pain.
>
> Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
> lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
> weeks.
>
> Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
> special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
> life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.
>
> Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
> survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
> wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
> comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
> love and good food.
>
> See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
> there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

Candace
December 24th 05, 06:54 AM
wrote:

> Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
> survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
> wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
> comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
> love and good food.
>
> See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
> there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

He sounds like a wonderful cat who had a great life and enriched yours,
too. I'm sorry for your loss, they're never with us long enough.

Candace

Annie Wxill
December 24th 05, 04:40 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
.. ...> Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
> special ones,...

That was a lovely tribute to such a super cat.

Deepest condolences to all of you on your loss.

Annie

NMR
December 24th 05, 04:52 PM
I am very sorry for your loss

December 24th 05, 11:46 PM
Thank you from all of lovely people who replied with condolences. I
guess I knew others here would understand. Marry Christmas, Happy
Chanukah and have a good day.

Kathi S.
December 25th 05, 03:07 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

chas
December 25th 05, 05:35 PM
I'm really saddened to hear of your loss, especially at this time of year.

Thank you for giving him such a good life.

chas

December 25th 05, 05:41 PM
On 23 Dec 2005 13:55:45 -0800, wrote:

> [...]
>showing his pain.
>
>Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
>lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
>weeks.
>
>Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
>special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
>life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.
>
>Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
>survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
>wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
>comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
>love and good food.
>
>See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
>there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

{{{{Judith}}}}

I am so sorry for your loss. It's particularly difficult at this time
of year. My heart goes out to you. Thank you for sharing your
Schnookie's wonderful story, and may your heart heal in time.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

Michael Lane
December 28th 05, 10:10 PM
Judith tells about her pet ,

>See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No
> doubt you had lots of old friends there
> ahead of you and Marty was the first
> one to leap on top of you.

That was a very touching story & brought a tear to my eye, as my Kitty (
Yes ) has
crossed over 5 weeks ago.

Michael Lane

" Say what you want and be who you are,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind. "
Dr. Seuss

Karen
December 29th 05, 05:15 AM
What a wonderful and heart warming story of your dear cat. God Bless you
for being so kind and giving so many cats a break. I'm so sorry for your
lose. We have run a small cat rescue from the early 80's. I know that
all of these wonderful love muffins will never forget our kindness and
yours also.

Karen