PDA

View Full Version : dead mouse

David Spicer
December 25th 05, 10:53 AM
My cat keeps leaving 'remains' all over the house, apart from preventing
access, any ideas to cure the problem.Maybe a 'bell' collar would be the
answer, but I'm at my wits end to find a solution

---MIKE---
December 25th 05, 11:52 AM
>>I'm at my wits end to find a solution

Keep the cat inside.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

December 25th 05, 01:16 PM
Keep the cat inside.

That's just cruel!
Why bother having a pet, if you make them subservient to your instincts
rather than letting them keep their own?

---MIKE---
December 25th 05, 01:58 PM
>>That's just cruel!
>>Why bother having a pet, if you make
>> them subservient to your instincts
>> rather than letting them keep their
>> own?

In my case it would be more cruel to let them out to be killed by
predators. I lost Ike that way six years ago. My cats are perfectly
happy to stay in where it's warm and safe.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

MaryL
December 25th 05, 03:30 PM
"David Spicer" > wrote in message
> My cat keeps leaving 'remains' all over the house, apart from preventing
> access, any ideas to cure the problem.Maybe a 'bell' collar would be the
> answer, but I'm at my wits end to find a solution

There is no solution except to keep your cat indoors. What you described is
perfectly normal behavior for a cat.

An indoor-only cat is much safer, both for the cat and for the environment
(and possibly for neighbors who object to having other peoples' pets roam on
their property). An indoor cat will be happy if you provide plenty of toys,
attention, scratching posts (and hopefully a good cat tree).

MaryL

NMR
December 25th 05, 05:25 PM
Jack either you are uninformed or joking around. I going with uninformed
letting a cat outside is almost as saying I don't care about my cat with all
the dangers associated with civilized life a outside cat is nothing but a
target.
As in the cat eating mice it might be natural but with people nowadays the
mice might be covered in pesticides or some other poison that people use to
kill them.

As for how to deal with the cat killing mice call an exterminator fix the
problem entry points simple answer

http://www.maxshouse.com/outdoor_risks.htm Phil's site
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/outside-world.shtml

> wrote in message
> Keep the cat inside.
>
> That's just cruel!
> Why bother having a pet, if you make them subservient to your instincts
> rather than letting them keep their own?

December 26th 05, 12:16 PM
I suppose it depends where you live.
My 2 cats eat and crap in the house, play in the garden. Both are
rescue/stray, one Mr Mozz hate's being indoors unless its very bad WX, the
other Mr's Tills was locked out/abandoned by last owner and is very
reluctant to go out, (poor thing, thinks she wont get back in?) I found her
living outside an abandoned flat in the bin storage, fed her a week or 2,
then got her rescued. Then believe it or not, I couldn't stop thinking about
her, so I bought her from the rescue, and brought her home. She will walk
round the garden with me, but heads for the door as soon as I do..
The UK has no rabies, (Although they have built a nice tunnel for it to re
enter) fox and dog run wild, although usually to stupid to pack, cats have
the knack to jump high and escape, aggressive dogs get taken to pound. The
two who share me think cats are better with a free choice, they have a cat
flap and plenty of proper trees in the yard. Hope yours are happy too.

Wendy
December 26th 05, 01:24 PM
> wrote in message
>I suppose it depends where you live.
> My 2 cats eat and crap in the house, play in the garden. Both are
> rescue/stray, one Mr Mozz hate's being indoors unless its very bad WX, the
> other Mr's Tills was locked out/abandoned by last owner and is very
> reluctant to go out, (poor thing, thinks she wont get back in?) I found
> her
> living outside an abandoned flat in the bin storage, fed her a week or 2,
> then got her rescued. Then believe it or not, I couldn't stop thinking
> about
> her, so I bought her from the rescue, and brought her home. She will walk
> round the garden with me, but heads for the door as soon as I do..
> The UK has no rabies, (Although they have built a nice tunnel for it to re
> enter) fox and dog run wild, although usually to stupid to pack, cats
> have
> the knack to jump high and escape, aggressive dogs get taken to pound. The
> two who share me think cats are better with a free choice, they have a cat
> flap and plenty of proper trees in the yard. Hope yours are happy too.

How do you train your cats to stay out of the street and away from cars?

December 26th 05, 01:42 PM
How do you train your cats to stay out of the street and away from cars?

The Cat has more road sense than you give them credit for, anyhow that's how
they live in the UK. The roads are NOT littered with run down, deceased
cats.
No disrespect, but 'in the UK' usually its only loonies or people with breed
cats that are worth steeling to sell, who make the cat a prisoner. Most let
the cat live socially independent lives and are happy sharing 1/2 and 1/2
with the wild nature of our companions.

Just shows how adaptable our little palls are.

a christmas tree
December 26th 05, 02:31 PM
David Spicer wrote:
> My cat keeps leaving 'remains' all over the house, apart from preventing
> access, any ideas to cure the problem.Maybe a 'bell' collar would be the
> answer, but I'm at my wits end to find a solution

just change your tolerance leve for this
i don't know a way to keep a cat from killing a mouse
or that I would want them to stop

mouse decon works great!

id rather see a dead mouse than a live mouse

---MIKE---
December 26th 05, 02:59 PM
>>mouse decon works great!
>>id rather see a dead mouse than a live
>> mouse

Then when the cat eats the mouse you will have a sick or dead cat.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Wendy
December 26th 05, 03:10 PM
> wrote in message
> How do you train your cats to stay out of the street and away from cars?
>
> The Cat has more road sense than you give them credit for, anyhow that's
> how
> they live in the UK. The roads are NOT littered with run down, deceased
> cats.
> No disrespect, but 'in the UK' usually its only loonies or people with
> breed
> cats that are worth steeling to sell, who make the cat a prisoner. Most
> let
> the cat live socially independent lives and are happy sharing 1/2 and 1/2
> with the wild nature of our companions.
>
> Just shows how adaptable our little palls are.

The only thing I can figure is you must just have a lot less traffic. I
sadly see all to many kitties, opossums, deer, squirrels and even raccoons
dead on the side of the road. US animals have a heck of a time dealing with
motor vehicles.

No, come to think about it, you've gotta have smarter cats. My SIL lives in
the boonies. She has more horse and buggies pass her home than cars and
trucks. Her cats are outside cats and have an average life span of two years
before getting hit by a truck or car. And that is how the majority of them
meet their end. A few have just disappeared but most she has to go pick up
off the road in front of the house.

Alison
December 26th 05, 05:21 PM
"David Spicer" > wrote in message
> My cat keeps leaving 'remains' all over the house, apart from
preventing
> access, any ideas to cure the problem.Maybe a 'bell' collar would
be the
> answer, but I'm at my wits end to find a solution >

You can get sonic collars from Pets at home. That might reduce the
amount of prey but it depends how good a hunter your cat is. Mice
tend to come out from dawn to dusk, so, if you don't already,
restrict the time your cat is allowed outside to the daytime.
Alison

a christmas tree
December 26th 05, 05:39 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> >>mouse decon works great!
> >>id rather see a dead mouse than a live
> >> mouse
>
> Then when the cat eats the mouse you will have a sick or dead cat.
>

> ---MIKE---
> >>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

that's a wives tale

which cat among us would eat a cold dead rat

zero

my lord, cats are throwing up on here, spoon feeding them...

dead rats? I don't think so

put a pin in it will ya

---MIKE---
December 26th 05, 06:29 PM
Barry, have you considered that the cat might eat a poisoned mouse that
is still alive. They don't all die right away after ingesting Decon.
Get a grip!

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

a christmas tree
December 27th 05, 03:10 AM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> Barry, have you considered that the cat might eat a poisoned mouse that
> is still alive. They don't all die right away after ingesting Decon.
> Get a grip!

heh heh
i've never seen a fed housecat eat a "dying" mouse

nobody has but you

---MIKE---
December 27th 05, 01:26 PM
Barry, You won't give up will you? Admit it - putting Decon out for
mice if you have a cat that eats mice is a BAD idea.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

a christmas tree
December 28th 05, 02:39 AM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> Barry, You won't give up will you? Admit it - putting Decon out for
> mice if you have a cat that eats mice is a BAD idea.

you're saying a mouse is going to come stumbling out from behind the
counter
holding his heart shouting "this is the big one! I'm coming elizabeth!"

mouse falls down...kicks his legs for about a minute...mouse gets back
up and falls right back down...a few more kicks...but he's gone!

personally I don't use decon, i wouldn't want my cat eating a spiked
mouse you know...

ok, maybe it is a bad idea

NMR
December 28th 05, 02:44 AM
What did they put in your eggnog Barry
"a christmas tree" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> ---MIKE--- wrote:
>> Barry, You won't give up will you? Admit it - putting Decon out for
>> mice if you have a cat that eats mice is a BAD idea.
>

> you're saying a mouse is going to come stumbling out from behind the
> counter
> holding his heart shouting "this is the big one! I'm coming elizabeth!"
>
> mouse falls down...kicks his legs for about a minute...mouse gets back
> up and falls right back down...a few more kicks...but he's gone!
>

> personally I don't use decon, i wouldn't want my cat eating a spiked
> mouse you know...
>
> ok, maybe it is a bad idea

a christmas tree
December 28th 05, 02:48 AM
NMR wrote:
> What did they put in your eggnog Barry

it feels like truth serum, i'll need some more to be sure

bag-o-switches
December 28th 05, 08:10 PM
Alison wrote:

<snip, wah wah wah>

ain't nobody gonna buy that ****

John Doe
December 28th 05, 09:13 PM
nym shifting troll

See also:
"cheryl_is_freak" <cheryl_is_freak yahoo.com>
"stay_right_there" <stay_right_there yahoo.com>
"a christmas tree" <bigbadbarry adelphia.net>
"bag-o-switches"...
"chickenwing"...
"coffeedog"...
"Prozack"...
"wannabe"...
"watermelon"...
"whitershadeofpale"...

"bag-o-switches" <bigbadbarry adelphia.net> wrote:

> From: "bag-o-switches" <bigbadbarry adelphia.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: dead mouse
> Date: 28 Dec 2005 12:10:05 -0800