PDA

View Full Version : Hills x/d

Paul O.
December 25th 05, 01:08 PM
Trying to find the calories per 5.5 oz can. Looked on the can and their
website and don't see it. Any body know? Happy Holidays everyone. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Steve Crane
December 25th 05, 03:29 PM
187 kcals per can
1197 kcals/kg

Paul O.
December 25th 05, 03:53 PM
Thanks steve. Saw that but it didn't connect. Gonna have to learn to do the
translation on this stuff I guess.

--
Paul O.

"Steve Crane" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> 187 kcals per can
> 1197 kcals/kg

Steve Crane
December 26th 05, 01:20 AM
No problem - I was thinking it was on the website by kcals/kg and
kcals/can. I hadn't looked when I sent the earlier message - Later when
I checked - it is there in ( ) under the ME values. You shouldn't have
to do the math, the system does that automatically and why goof around
with such stuff.

Paul O.
December 26th 05, 03:31 AM
"Steve Crane" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> No problem - I was thinking it was on the website by kcals/kg and
> kcals/can. I hadn't looked when I sent the earlier message - Later when
> I checked - it is there in ( ) under the ME values. You shouldn't have
> to do the math, the system does that automatically and why goof around
> with such stuff.

Thanks again. Now another question. Is there a rule of thumb for amount of
calories for a cat? I've seen or heard some where of about 30 calories per
pound of cat. Is this a good starting point to adjust from. Our cat is a
Maine Coon, nuetered, and an indoor only cat, so not all that active. He
weighs about 18# and the vet says he should lose a little. So I'm thinking
of getting him down to about 16# and see how he does. Not to easy to feel
his ribs now. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Phil P.
December 26th 05, 09:24 AM
"Paul O." > wrote in message
om...

> Thanks again. Now another question. Is there a rule of thumb for amount of
> calories for a cat? I've seen or heard some where of about 30 calories per
> pound of cat. Is this a good starting point to adjust from. Our cat is a
> Maine Coon, nuetered, and an indoor only cat, so not all that active. He
> weighs about 18# and the vet says he should lose a little.

The daily energy requirement for a moderately active, neutered, adult cat is
about 45 kcals/kg or about 20 kcals/lb. Your cat's maintenance DER is about
360 kcals/day. For a safe weight loss diet, reduce his caloric intake by no
more than 25% or to 270 kcals/day. If you reduce the caloric intake of x/d
by more 25% of his maintenance DER you'll invade the safety margin of the
diet. Remember, when you reduce the calories, all other nutrients are also
reduced proportionately.

Another weight loss program you might find easier is simply setting a target
weight and feeding him the amount of calories for that weight-- e.g., his
present weight is 18# and you want him to lose 2#. His target weight would
be 16#. Thus, 16 x 20 kcal = 320 kcals/day or about 1.7 cans a day divided
into two feedings. The advantage of this program is that when he reaches
his target weight, the weight-loss diet will become his maintenance diet
without making any more changes in his caloric intake. The disadvantage is
that large weight losses must be done in stages so that his caloric intake
is never decreased by more than 25% at a time.

To calculate the amount of food to feed for the first program, divide the
his DER by the caloric density of the diet: 270/1.0275 = 263 grams or 1.4
cans a day. For the second program, 320/1.0275 = 311 grams/day or 1.7
cans/day. You need to weigh the food only once to see how many teaspoons =
the appropriate weight.

Now that you have a good scale, you can monitor his weight fairly
accurately. Allow no more than 1 pound of weight loss every 4 weeks. If he
loses any more than 1 pound/4 weeks, increase his caloric intake in 10%
increments.

Best of luck,

Phil

Paul O.
December 26th 05, 01:02 PM
Thanks Diane, Will save this site.

--
Paul O.

"Diane" > wrote in message
k.net...
> In article >,
> "Paul O." > wrote:
>
>> "Steve Crane" > wrote in message
>> ps.com...
>> > No problem - I was thinking it was on the website by kcals/kg and
>> > kcals/can. I hadn't looked when I sent the earlier message - Later when
>> > I checked - it is there in ( ) under the ME values. You shouldn't have
>> > to do the math, the system does that automatically and why goof around
>> > with such stuff.
>> >

>> Thanks again. Now another question. Is there a rule of thumb for amount
>> of
>> calories for a cat? I've seen or heard some where of about 30 calories
>> per
>> pound of cat. Is this a good starting point to adjust from. Our cat is a
>> Maine Coon, nuetered, and an indoor only cat, so not all that active. He
>> weighs about 18# and the vet says he should lose a little. So I'm
>> thinking
>> of getting him down to about 16# and see how he does. Not to easy to feel
>> his ribs now. Thanks.
>
> This may help:
>
> <http://www.purina.com/cats/health/BodyCondition.aspx>
>
> --
> Web site: http://www.slywy.com/
> Message board: http://www.slywy.com/phpBB2/
> Journal: http://slywy.blogspot.com/

Paul O.
December 26th 05, 01:07 PM
Thanks Phil, This is what I am looking for. It's still a little tough to
figure since I'm still feeding two different foods getting him switched over
to x/d. I am mixing the x/d with s/d at about 60% x/d and 40% s/d at this
point and he isn't balking yet. May start on the straight x/d next week and
see if he will go with it.

--
Paul O.

"Phil P." > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Paul O." > wrote in message
> om...
>> >

>> Thanks again. Now another question. Is there a rule of thumb for amount
>> of
>> calories for a cat? I've seen or heard some where of about 30 calories
>> per
>> pound of cat. Is this a good starting point to adjust from. Our cat is a
>> Maine Coon, nuetered, and an indoor only cat, so not all that active. He
>> weighs about 18# and the vet says he should lose a little.
>
> The daily energy requirement for a moderately active, neutered, adult cat
> is
> about 45 kcals/kg or about 20 kcals/lb. Your cat's maintenance DER is
> about
> 360 kcals/day. For a safe weight loss diet, reduce his caloric intake by
> no
> more than 25% or to 270 kcals/day. If you reduce the caloric intake of
> x/d
> by more 25% of his maintenance DER you'll invade the safety margin of the
> diet. Remember, when you reduce the calories, all other nutrients are
> also
> reduced proportionately.
>
> Another weight loss program you might find easier is simply setting a
> target
> weight and feeding him the amount of calories for that weight-- e.g., his
> present weight is 18# and you want him to lose 2#. His target weight
> would
> be 16#. Thus, 16 x 20 kcal = 320 kcals/day or about 1.7 cans a day
> divided
> into two feedings. The advantage of this program is that when he reaches
> his target weight, the weight-loss diet will become his maintenance diet
> without making any more changes in his caloric intake. The disadvantage
> is
> that large weight losses must be done in stages so that his caloric intake
> is never decreased by more than 25% at a time.
>
> To calculate the amount of food to feed for the first program, divide the
> his DER by the caloric density of the diet: 270/1.0275 = 263 grams or 1.4
> cans a day. For the second program, 320/1.0275 = 311 grams/day or 1.7
> cans/day. You need to weigh the food only once to see how many teaspoons
> =
> the appropriate weight.
>
> Now that you have a good scale, you can monitor his weight fairly
> accurately. Allow no more than 1 pound of weight loss every 4 weeks. If
> he
> loses any more than 1 pound/4 weeks, increase his caloric intake in 10%
> increments.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Phil

Paul O.