PDA

View Full Version : Fasting before spay tomorrow morning - how long

Lorraine
December 26th 05, 04:51 PM
We brought in a stray about a month ago. She's somewhere around 6
months old and we have her scheduled for spay surgery tomorrow morning.
When I scheduled the spay, nothing was said about fasting before
surgery, and I didn't think to ask. The vet's office is closed today
for the holiday, so I can't call and ask. She has already gone into
heat at least once so I really don't want to put it off if I don't have
to.

When I asked, the vet's office said they use ketamine and isoflurane for
anesthesia. Any idea how long I should keep food away from her before
her surgery? Is water allowed?

Thanks,
Lorraine

---MIKE---
December 26th 05, 06:33 PM
>>Any idea how long I should keep food
>> away from her before her surgery? Is
>> water allowed?

>>Thanks,
>>Lorraine

Usually it's no food or water for 12 hours before surgery.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

December 27th 05, 01:31 AM
Lorraine wrote:
> We brought in a stray about a month ago. She's somewhere around 6
> months old and we have her scheduled for spay surgery tomorrow morning.
> When I scheduled the spay, nothing was said about fasting before
> surgery, and I didn't think to ask. The vet's office is closed today
> for the holiday, so I can't call and ask. She has already gone into
> heat at least once so I really don't want to put it off if I don't have
> to.
>
> When I asked, the vet's office said they use ketamine and isoflurane for
> anesthesia. Any idea how long I should keep food away from her before
> her surgery? Is water allowed?
>
> Thanks,
> Lorraine

This is a little late - my posting. But if you are taking her in
early-ish in the morning, to be on the safe side her food should
probably be picked up around 6:00 pm, & her water around midnight - or
before you go to bed.

When you drop her off for her spay op, leave info so that the vet will
know when she last had access to food & water.

Cathy

Lorraine
December 27th 05, 02:47 PM
On 26 Dec 2005 17:31:28 -0800, wrote:

>When you drop her off for her spay op, leave info so that the vet will
>know when she last had access to food & water.

Thanks Mike and Cathy! I have learned one thing. When one is half
asleep, and one has two cats who look a lot alike in a very dimly lit
room, turn on the overhead light to make sure the one sleeping in the
kitty condo is really the one you think it is before closing the door.
Long story, but I did eventually discover my mistake, and I did inform
the vet as to the time of known fasting, and we were OK. Miss Ellie
goes under shortly, and I nervously wait.

Lorraine

NMR
December 27th 05, 04:24 PM
Most vets are like doctors 15 minutes and you are gone. They leave it up to
the nurses or assistance to carry the burden
"Barb" > wrote in message
o.verio.net...
> Jeez, don't you think the vet should have told her that?
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

Barb
December 27th 05, 05:08 PM
Jeez, don't you think the vet should have told her that?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Lorraine
December 27th 05, 05:57 PM
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:08:24 -0600, "Barb" >
wrote:

>Jeez, don't you think the vet should have told her that?

And I should have asked, but I didn't think of it at the right time
either. I hadn't actually talked to the vet prior to this morning. One
thing I didn't mention is that I'm in the process of switching vets as
my previous vet lied to me regarding anesthesia when discussing the
upcoming spay. The person scheduling the spay over the phone didn't
think to mention it, and I didn't think to ask. When I went in this
morning, fasting was one of the first items on the surgery checklist
that we discussed. Had Ellie not been fasting a sufficient time, the
surgery would have been rescheduled. It would have been an
inconvenience, but not really a big deal.

The vet did call about an hour ago. Ellie is up and around, and doing
fine after her spay.

L.

Barb
December 28th 05, 04:39 PM
Glad she's okay. All's well the ends well.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Alison
December 28th 05, 05:20 PM
"Lorraine" > wrote in message
> On 26 Dec 2005 17:31:28 -0800, wrote:
>
>. Miss Ellie
> goes under shortly, and I nervously wait.
>
> Lorraine.

How is Miss Ellie? Recovering well I hope.
Alison

Lorraine
December 29th 05, 12:08 PM
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:20:00 -0000, "Alison"
> wrote:

> How is Miss Ellie? Recovering well I hope.

She's doing well. It's been tough trying to keep her calm as it doesn't
seem to be in her nature. I've been amazed that I haven't seen her mess
with the wound at all. Must not be to the itchy stage yet.

Thanks for asking.

L.

Barb
December 29th 05, 04:21 PM
Most cats get this spaying done when they are young kittens and amazingly
most do fine with the wounds even though it's hard to keep them quiet.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,