PDA

View Full Version : Cat- 3 Dogs 0

Bob Smith
December 27th 05, 04:42 AM
I live in the central gulf area of FL, lots of wildlife abound. Recently
in the news there was a story about 3 dogs attacking a cat on the edge
of a wooded area. The cat killed 2 of the dogs one being a Rotweiller,
the third dog escaped. Turns out they picked a fight with a Bobcat, all
claws and teeth and mean as a mother in law.

cybercat
December 27th 05, 05:09 AM
"Bob Smith" > wrote in message
> I live in the central gulf area of FL, lots of wildlife abound. Recently
> in the news there was a story about 3 dogs attacking a cat on the edge
> of a wooded area. The cat killed 2 of the dogs one being a Rotweiller,
> the third dog escaped. Turns out they picked a fight with a Bobcat, all
> claws and teeth and mean as a mother in law.

Cool! Is there a Darwin award for dogs?

December 28th 05, 12:21 AM
Bob Smith wrote:
> I live in the central gulf area of FL, lots of wildlife abound. Recently
> in the news there was a story about 3 dogs attacking a cat on the edge
> of a wooded area. The cat killed 2 of the dogs one being a Rotweiller,
> the third dog escaped. Turns out they picked a fight with a Bobcat, all
> claws and teeth and mean as a mother in law.

They picked on the wrong pussy cat.

NMR
December 28th 05, 12:26 AM
they wander all over the place near me beautiful animals when they do
their call it sounds like a baby crying. I know one is out back all the
furballs will line up in the back bay windows and fuzz up but won't make a
sound just stare. I have had one walk right up to the back Florida room and
go to sleep on the outside patio bench. The furballs were fit to be tied.
Such a beautiful cat
Those poor dogs ( not) they thought they were going to get a little pussy
cat but that pussy cat had teeth.
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bob Smith wrote:
>> I live in the central gulf area of FL, lots of wildlife abound. Recently
>> in the news there was a story about 3 dogs attacking a cat on the edge
>> of a wooded area. The cat killed 2 of the dogs one being a Rotweiller,
>> the third dog escaped. Turns out they picked a fight with a Bobcat, all
>> claws and teeth and mean as a mother in law.
>
> They picked on the wrong pussy cat.

Bob Smith
December 28th 05, 12:46 AM
Where do you live NMR? I live in Hernando County. My lanai backs up to a
wildlife preserve with a small lagoon (swamp) in my backyard. I have
spotted the occasional bobcat along with racoons, gators, turtles and
many beautiful birds and some not so beautiful (turkey buzzards.) The
most fearsome sight was my inlaws pulling into our driveway for a visit.
When my 2 siamese are relaxing on the lanai I keep an eye on them lest
some critter tries to break through the screening.

MaryL
December 28th 05, 01:00 AM
"Bob Smith" > wrote in message
>I live in the central gulf area of FL, lots of wildlife abound. Recently
> in the news there was a story about 3 dogs attacking a cat on the edge
> of a wooded area. The cat killed 2 of the dogs one being a Rotweiller,
> the third dog escaped. Turns out they picked a fight with a Bobcat, all
> claws and teeth and mean as a mother in law.

Years ago, a bobcat meandered casually in front of us as we drove down the
Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. It was a wonderful sight -- and those dogs
weren't very bright to pick on a cat that size.

MaryL

Adam Helberg
December 28th 05, 01:26 AM
"Bob Smith" > wrote in message
>I live in the central gulf area of FL, lots of wildlife abound. Recently
> in the news there was a story about 3 dogs attacking a cat on the edge
> of a wooded area. The cat killed 2 of the dogs one being a Rotweiller,
> the third dog escaped. Turns out they picked a fight with a Bobcat, all
> claws and teeth and mean as a mother in law.

Can I ask you where you got the story from?

Adam

NMR
December 28th 05, 01:54 AM
Bob my real name is Matthew I keep forgetting to add that at the end of my
post. I live in unincorporated Volusia county ( Daytona Beach ) before
the St. John's river bridge near Seminole county. I back up to a wildlife
sanctuary no one can ever build there. I see armadillos, foxes, bob cats,
black bears ( they are a pain the [email protected]@ ) Florida panthers. There is a pair
of golden hawks that live back there ( learned the hard way when I rescued
my little one spirit from them ) There is lake on the other side of the
property we see turtles, we got rid of the gators they were being feed by
people and got to friendly with the neighborhood pets. I stocked the lake
so there is some good fishing there. We see an occasional wild pig and
plenty of deer, a big family of geese make there home in the lake during the
winter. Too many birds to name are here in the winter I moved here just
for this reason to see nature. Reminds me of home in Kentucky when I was
growing up just no snow, chickens or horses.

Everytime a new creature shows the furball patrol lines up in the bay
window in the back of the house staring, chirping and making a hussy fit
for what ever is in the back yard

I have had the bears break down a window and part of the outer wall in the
Florida room wake up to that at 4 in the morning. I have woke up, walked
in to the kitchen to a Florida panther standing up at the bay windows on
its hind legs staring right back at the furball patrol every one puffed up
to 3 times there size, standing their ground they all were making a noise
that I have never heard before.

Matthew

"Bob Smith" > wrote in message
> Where do you live NMR? I live in Hernando County. My lanai backs up to a
> wildlife preserve with a small lagoon (swamp) in my backyard. I have
> spotted the occasional bobcat along with racoons, gators, turtles and
> many beautiful birds and some not so beautiful (turkey buzzards.) The
> most fearsome sight was my inlaws pulling into our driveway for a visit.
> When my 2 siamese are relaxing on the lanai I keep an eye on them lest
> some critter tries to break through the screening.

dgk
December 28th 05, 04:03 PM
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:54:33 GMT, "NMR"
> wrote:

>Bob my real name is Matthew I keep forgetting to add that at the end of my
>post. I live in unincorporated Volusia county ( Daytona Beach ) before
>the St. John's river bridge near Seminole county. I back up to a wildlife
>sanctuary no one can ever build there. I see armadillos, foxes, bob cats,
>black bears ( they are a pain the [email protected]@ ) Florida panthers. There is a pair
>of golden hawks that live back there ( learned the hard way when I rescued
>my little one spirit from them ) There is lake on the other side of the
>property we see turtles, we got rid of the gators they were being feed by
>people and got to friendly with the neighborhood pets. I stocked the lake
>so there is some good fishing there. We see an occasional wild pig and
>plenty of deer, a big family of geese make there home in the lake during the
>winter. Too many birds to name are here in the winter I moved here just
>for this reason to see nature. Reminds me of home in Kentucky when I was
>growing up just no snow, chickens or horses.
>
>Everytime a new creature shows the furball patrol lines up in the bay
>window in the back of the house staring, chirping and making a hussy fit
>for what ever is in the back yard
>
>I have had the bears break down a window and part of the outer wall in the
>Florida room wake up to that at 4 in the morning. I have woke up, walked
>in to the kitchen to a Florida panther standing up at the bay windows on
>its hind legs staring right back at the furball patrol every one puffed up
>to 3 times there size, standing their ground they all were making a noise
>that I have never heard before.
>

>Matthew

Here in NYC my furball patrol has to make do with sparrows, the
occasional robin, and a rare possum or raccoon. When outside in the
backyard (fenced in), one likes to lie under an evergreen just five
feet from the bird feeder and watch the commotion. He doesn't normally
attack the birds; he just likes to watch from up close. I can't
believe that the birds don't realize that he is there.

Normally I don't put out birdseed if I'm planning on letting the boys
out. Nor do I put out seed unless the ground is covered with snow.

jmc
December 28th 05, 07:56 PM
Suddenly, without warning, NMR exclaimed (28-Dec-05 12:54 AM):

> I have had the bears break down a window and part of the outer wall in the
> Florida room wake up to that at 4 in the morning. I have woke up, walked
> in to the kitchen to a Florida panther standing up at the bay windows on
> its hind legs staring right back at the furball patrol every one puffed up
> to 3 times there size, standing their ground they all were making a noise
> that I have never heard before.
>

> Matthew

Wow. Do you have a picture of that? My mental picture's pretty awesome
as it is - how many furballs do you have?

Only wildlife we get in this English backyard is birds and the
occassional hedgehog. And all the neighbor cats, if I don't let Meep
out occassionally to re-mark her territory.

Meep's gonna be a bit shocked by our retirement property though.
Pronghorns and jackrabbits, neighbors have bison, and I'm told black and
grizzly bears have been seen crossing our (currently empty) property,
heading for the river.

Smart bears. There's a fish hatchery there.

jmc

NMR
December 28th 05, 08:10 PM
I currently have 5 furballs our 6th precious just passed away a couple of
weeks ago. I wish I had a picture I was frozen stiff; Imagine this you
wake up one eyed go downstairs to get some coffee abut 6:30 am. Look up and
see that standing up at the bay window in our kitchen. I was lucky I did not
loss my bladder. The panther looked up from staring at the furballs looked
at me licked his or hers ( I was not about to look ) chops, took one more
look at the furballs and strolled right back in to the woods. We see the
pair of them early mornings sometimes always try to catch them on camera but
once the see, smell or hear humans they are gone.

We had to install a gated and locked trash area to prevent the black bears
from coming near the house. Several have had to be relocated due to
neighbor's being stupid and leaving trash out, food in easy reach or we had
one neighbor that was arrested for feeding the bears which is a felony on a
wildlife sanctuary. I installed the bear sonic repeller they stay clear of
the property no but it does not effect any of the other wildlife. Raccoons
are the big problem now with the rabies alert on plus the little varmints
are getting smarter about getting into things.

"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, NMR exclaimed (28-Dec-05 12:54 AM):
>
>> I have had the bears break down a window and part of the outer wall in
>> the Florida room wake up to that at 4 in the morning. I have woke up,
>> walked in to the kitchen to a Florida panther standing up at the bay
>> windows on its hind legs staring right back at the furball patrol every
>> one puffed up to 3 times there size, standing their ground they all were
>> making a noise that I have never heard before.
>>

>> Matthew
>
> Wow. Do you have a picture of that? My mental picture's pretty awesome
> as it is - how many furballs do you have?
>
> Only wildlife we get in this English backyard is birds and the occassional
> hedgehog. And all the neighbor cats, if I don't let Meep out
> occassionally to re-mark her territory.
>
> Meep's gonna be a bit shocked by our retirement property though.
> Pronghorns and jackrabbits, neighbors have bison, and I'm told black and
> grizzly bears have been seen crossing our (currently empty) property,
> heading for the river.
>
> Smart bears. There's a fish hatchery there.
>
> jmc

Bob Smith
December 28th 05, 09:09 PM
Adam asked where I got the story from?

It was on the local news.

Bob Smith
December 28th 05, 09:12 PM
Matther mentioned back home in Kentucky.

Where in KY are you from. I'm a GA boy, but I am a UK Grad.

Sounds like your wild kingdom surpasses mine.

Bob Smith
December 28th 05, 09:17 PM
Matthew, I thought I saw a Florida Skunk Ape in the woods the other
day.

We are heading down to Costa Rica in a few weeks and I'm really looking
forward to seeing some jungle creatures.

NMR
December 28th 05, 09:32 PM
Bob if you saw Florida' Bigfoot you are one of many who have make sure you
report your sighting http://www.floridaskunkape.com/. I haven't been lucky
enough yet just came face to face with a gator when I fell in a lake
before. And pulled my feet up out of the water just as a bullshark passed
in front of me when I was fishing awhile ago.

"Bob Smith" > wrote in message
> Matthew, I thought I saw a Florida Skunk Ape in the woods the other
> day.
>
> We are heading down to Costa Rica in a few weeks and I'm really looking
> forward to seeing some jungle creatures.

NMR
December 28th 05, 09:33 PM
Near the Daniel Boone parkway to the lower south east side of the state
outside a little town called Whitesburg it is near moreshead but not as
far as Hazard. We still have the farm there but the family made money when
I was young so it is now a gentleman's horse farm. I miss those days