PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my cats??

Frank Pittel
December 28th 05, 02:25 PM
On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
and got a turkey breast and made a turkey dinner for christmas eve.

In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and would
start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it cooking.
My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating. After I ate
and was putting away the leftovers I put some in the bowl I use for canned
food. Although they sniffed at it they wouldn't eat any of it!!!

I've never known a cat that wouldn't fight for turkey scraps and don't understand
their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver scraps!!
Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??

--

-------------------

Magic Mood JeepŠ
December 28th 05, 02:34 PM
Frank Pittel wrote:
> On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
> lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
> and got a turkey breast and made a turkey dinner for christmas eve.
>
> In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and would
> start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it cooking.
> My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating. After I ate
> and was putting away the leftovers I put some in the bowl I use for
> canned
> food. Although they sniffed at it they wouldn't eat any of it!!!
>
> I've never known a cat that wouldn't fight for turkey scraps and
> don't understand their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to
> refuse to eat liver scraps!!
> Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??
>
> --
>

> -------------------
> Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

One of ours, Lizzie, will only sniff at offered leftovers and canned food.
Once, when we first got her (a rescue from the local kill-shelter), DH gave
her some shaved ham from his ham sandwich - she loved it, so he kept giving
her more. About an hour later, I went into the bedroom where she was
napping, and there on the bed, about 3 feet from her, was a pile of urked up
well chewed ham. Poor girl... I guess it was like that old' Alka-Seltzer
commercial : she loved ham, but ham didn't love her. Ever since then, whe's
passed on treats.

Karen
December 28th 05, 03:33 PM
Cats that don't normally get treats often won't go for human food. I've had
a couple that wouldn't go for any "human" food. I have one now that only
likes kibble, a wee bit of canned fancy feast and ocassionally ham or really
fresh deli turkey, but if it is the least bit old, fugeddaboudit. Each is
different.

"Frank Pittel" > wrote in message
> On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
> lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
> and got a turkey breast and made a turkey dinner for christmas eve.
>
> In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and would
> start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it cooking.
> My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating. After I ate
> and was putting away the leftovers I put some in the bowl I use for canned
> food. Although they sniffed at it they wouldn't eat any of it!!!
>
> I've never known a cat that wouldn't fight for turkey scraps and don't
understand
> their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver
scraps!!
> Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??
>
> --
>

> -------------------
> Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

CaptCook
December 28th 05, 03:43 PM
"Frank Pittel" wrote
> In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and
would
> start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it
cooking.
> My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating.

I guessing that you lucked out. My last attempt at a cat loved the
treats that I gave it to welcome it to the new home. Then it started
begging constantly. Finally had to pass the cat on after it would
urinate on the furniture if no bribe were forthcoming.

NMR
December 28th 05, 03:53 PM
Your cats probably got a whiff of something they didn't like when it was
cooking. Turkey breast unless it a whole carved breast is a processed meat
part product put together made to resemble meat . Makes you wonder if
they won't eat it why we should.
My cats are the same way they won't touch processed meat but cook a whole
turkey, ham or chicken they learned to play tag team distract daddy and we
carry it of together routine.

Matthew

"Frank Pittel" > wrote in message
> On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
> lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
> and got a turkey breast and made a turkey dinner for christmas eve.
>
> In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and would
> start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it cooking.
> My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating. After I ate
> and was putting away the leftovers I put some in the bowl I use for canned
> food. Although they sniffed at it they wouldn't eat any of it!!!
>
> I've never known a cat that wouldn't fight for turkey scraps and don't
> understand
> their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver
> scraps!!
> Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??
>
> --
>

> -------------------
> Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

Tony P.
December 28th 05, 04:55 PM
In article >,
says...
> On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
> lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
> and got a turkey breast and made a turkey dinner for christmas eve.
>
> In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and would
> start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it cooking.
> My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating. After I ate
> and was putting away the leftovers I put some in the bowl I use for canned
> food. Although they sniffed at it they wouldn't eat any of it!!!
>
> I've never known a cat that wouldn't fight for turkey scraps and don't understand
> their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver scraps!!
> Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??

Of my three cats the two eldest are spoiled having been given table
scraps as kittens.

The third cat is odd. He doesn't respond to chicken or turkey but fish
makes him nuts. Yet he won't eat it, he just gets very vocal and
complains for a few minutes.

Of course he was 7 months old when I adopted him so perhaps his previous
servants didn't spoil him.

a christmas tree
December 28th 05, 09:07 PM
Frank Pittel wrote:
> On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
> lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
...for turkey scraps and don't understand
> their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver scraps!!
> Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??

yoiu shoulda brought home a butterball

Frank Pittel
December 29th 05, 05:24 AM
The turkey breast I got was a whole breast and included the bones, skin, etc.
The only difference between it and a traditional turkey was that the wings and
legs were removed.

NMR > wrote:
: Your cats probably got a whiff of something they didn't like when it was
: cooking. Turkey breast unless it a whole carved breast is a processed meat
: part product put together made to resemble meat . Makes you wonder if
: they won't eat it why we should.
: My cats are the same way they won't touch processed meat but cook a whole
: turkey, ham or chicken they learned to play tag team distract daddy and we
: carry it of together routine.

: Matthew

: "Frank Pittel" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
: > lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
: > and got a turkey breast and made a turkey dinner for christmas eve.
: >
: > In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and would
: > start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it cooking.
: > My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating. After I ate
: > and was putting away the leftovers I put some in the bowl I use for canned
: > food. Although they sniffed at it they wouldn't eat any of it!!!
: >
: > I've never known a cat that wouldn't fight for turkey scraps and don't
: > understand
: > their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver
: > scraps!!
: > Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??
: >
: > --
: >
: >
: >
: >
: > -------------------
: > Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

--

-------------------

NMR
December 29th 05, 05:34 AM
That is strange for a cat to turn its nose up something as delicious as that
could have been anything that caused it as I said they may have got a whiff
of something they did not like maybe something like for an example if it had
broth already injected in it or how it was prepared in the factory etc. etc.
My self personally if the cats turn their nose up at it for something like
that makes me wonder what they know and I don't :-)

Sorry I could be of anymore help Frank one thing I learned about cats

Cats are Cats they will do as they like, when the like and how they like.
We are meant to be their slaves and be proud of the fact.

"Frank Pittel" > wrote in message
> The turkey breast I got was a whole breast and included the bones, skin,
> etc.
> The only difference between it and a traditional turkey was that the wings
> and
> legs were removed.
>

> NMR > wrote:
> : Your cats probably got a whiff of something they didn't like when it was
> : cooking. Turkey breast unless it a whole carved breast is a processed
> meat
> : part product put together made to resemble meat . Makes you wonder if
> : they won't eat it why we should.
> : My cats are the same way they won't touch processed meat but cook a
> whole
> : turkey, ham or chicken they learned to play tag team distract daddy and
> we
> : carry it of together routine.
>

> : Matthew
>

> : "Frank Pittel" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
> : > lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
> : > and got a turkey breast and made a turkey dinner for christmas eve.
> : >
> : > In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and would
> : > start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it cooking.
> : > My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating. After I ate
> : > and was putting away the leftovers I put some in the bowl I use for
> canned
> : > food. Although they sniffed at it they wouldn't eat any of it!!!
> : >
> : > I've never known a cat that wouldn't fight for turkey scraps and don't
> : > understand
> : > their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver
> : > scraps!!
> : > Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??
> : >
> : > --
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > -------------------
> : > Keep working millions on welfare depend on you
>

> --
>

> -------------------
> Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

Frank Pittel
December 29th 05, 07:01 AM
They're the first cats out of many that have ever turned up their noses to real
turkey. Then again I never give them table scraps and the scraps I give them are
always raw. (not turkey or chicken of course) In a few days I'm going to cook some
beef liver for the first time since I got them. If they don't eat the liver I'm taking
them to the vet!!!!

: > NMR > wrote:
: > : Your cats probably got a whiff of something they didn't like when it was
: > : cooking. Turkey breast unless it a whole carved breast is a processed
: > meat
: > : part product put together made to resemble meat . Makes you wonder if
: > : they won't eat it why we should.
: > : My cats are the same way they won't touch processed meat but cook a
: > whole
: > : turkey, ham or chicken they learned to play tag team distract daddy and
: > we
: > : carry it of together routine.
: >
: >
: > : Matthew
: >
: >
: > : "Frank Pittel" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
: > : > lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
: > : > and got a turkey breast and made a turkey dinner for christmas eve.
: > : >
: > : > In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and would
: > : > start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it cooking.
: > : > My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating. After I ate
: > : > and was putting away the leftovers I put some in the bowl I use for
: > canned
: > : > food. Although they sniffed at it they wouldn't eat any of it!!!
: > : >
: > : > I've never known a cat that wouldn't fight for turkey scraps and don't
: > : > understand
: > : > their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver
: > : > scraps!!
: > : > Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??
: > : >
: > : > --
: > : >
: > : >
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > -------------------
: > : > Keep working millions on welfare depend on you
: >
: >
: >
: > --
: >
: >
: >
: >
: > -------------------
: > Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

--

-------------------

Linda Terrell
December 29th 05, 02:21 PM
In article . com>,
"a christmas tree" > wrote:

> Frank Pittel wrote:
> > On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
> > lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
> ..for turkey scraps and don't understand
> > their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver scraps!!
> > Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??
>
> yoiu shoulda brought home a butterball

they don't have any flavor at all.

LT

Barb
December 29th 05, 05:27 PM
It's strange but my Pickles (2 yrs old) doesn't go ape over chicken. I've
never before had a cat that didn't love chicken. My Pepper (14yrs) does
love chicken. I finally coaxed a couple tiny pieces of chicken on Pickles
and the next day she threw a piece of it up. I wonder if some of these cats
know something we don't know?

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Frank Pittel
December 30th 05, 02:49 PM
Frank Pittel > wrote:
: On the day before christmas I revived a tradition that I had let
: lapse before I got the two cats that I currently have. I went out
: and got a turkey breast and made a turkey dinner for christmas eve.

: In the past the cats that I've had have always liked tirkey and would
: start begging for it as soon as they could start to smell it cooking.
: My two gave no reaction and didn't beg while I was eating. After I ate
: and was putting away the leftovers I put some in the bowl I use for canned
: food. Although they sniffed at it they wouldn't eat any of it!!!

: I've never known a cat that wouldn't fight for turkey scraps and don't understand
: their refusal to eat any. Next they're going to refuse to eat liver scraps!!
: Has anyone had a cat that wouldn't eat turkey??

Had an interesting turn of events yesterday. While cleaning up the turkey bones I through
what was left into the garbage and ran off to answer the phone. While I was gone the cats
had knocked over the garbage can and was gnawing the turkey off of the bones.

There must not have been enough of a challange in just eating it out of the food bowl.?? :-|
--

-------------------

Barb
December 30th 05, 05:50 PM
Guess they enjoy the hunt!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

NMR
December 30th 05, 07:24 PM
OR we for got the simple answer CATS ARE CATS they do what they do
"Barb" > wrote in message
o.verio.net...
> Guess they enjoy the hunt!
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

Larry von
January 1st 06, 05:59 AM
I have a Maine Coon Cat and he won't eat anything but his normal food. I've
tried milk, fish, chicken shrimp, nothing makes a difference. If it's not
his normal brand I'm wasting my time.