PDA

View Full Version : cat suddenly limping - how long can wait before going to vet

December 28th 05, 05:44 PM
Hello, my cat suddenly started not using one of his hind legs. One
minute he was fine, then suddenly, seemingly without any obvious event
like a failed jump or sharp object or something, he started not using
his leg. I can't see any obvious injury or swelling.

I would like to keep vet costs down, so I want to wait maybe this will
resolve itself. How long do you think I can wait before I know this
will not go away by itself?

Thank you,

Mark

jmc
December 28th 05, 06:50 PM
Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed
(28-Dec-05 5:44 PM):
> Hello, my cat suddenly started not using one of his hind legs. One
> minute he was fine, then suddenly, seemingly without any obvious event
> like a failed jump or sharp object or something, he started not using
> his leg. I can't see any obvious injury or swelling.
>
> I would like to keep vet costs down, so I want to wait maybe this will
> resolve itself. How long do you think I can wait before I know this
> will not go away by itself?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark

He might have a luxating patella. Pick him up, and gently flex his leg.
GENTLY! What I do is pick her up, support her hind leg, then slowly
lift it toward her belly. If her patella is stuck, I'll feel a click or
a little jump as it slips into place. If that doesn't work, you can try
gently flexing it the opposite way, straight. If at any time he
evidences pain, it's likely not the patella, and he really needs to see
a vet, despite the cost.

If it's the patella, and he keeps stopping using it, I'd recommend
seeing the vet. In the meantime, keep him on a single level and keep
him from jumping around a lot, if you can. When Meep aggravated her
problem, I had to keep her on a single level for two weeks, but the
problem did return to it's former, controlled level.

which is to say, after sitting or lying for any length of time, she
always stretches each hind leg back before continuing on. Sometimes
she'll take one bad step or two before the patella goes where it is
supposed to.

It's a fairly rare problem in cats, but does happen. You can google
this group for more details, if you want to.

jmc

JJ
December 30th 05, 11:40 PM
I would get it checked by vet - cats can get clots that are life
threatening.