PDA

View Full Version : Bronchoscopy -- how safe?

Paula Sims
December 28th 05, 07:50 PM
Hello all,
We've scheduled a procedure for our cat to see about the details of her
chronic cough. We have a choice of either a bronchoscopy or a wash.
Hubby is concerned about the safety of the bronchoscopy but I think it's
the right thing to do.

Our cat is 10 years old and except for a chronic cough which we're not
too sure is asthma, Gypsy is fine. She's had a heart echo and blood work
and all is fine.

So our question is how safe is a bronchoscopy for cats? Should we do
that or the wash?

Thanks so much

Paula

Phil P.
January 2nd 06, 05:14 PM
"Paula Sims" > wrote in message
.net...
> Hello all,
> We've scheduled a procedure for our cat to see about the details of her
> chronic cough. We have a choice of either a bronchoscopy or a wash.
> Hubby is concerned about the safety of the bronchoscopy but I think it's
> the right thing to do.
>
> Our cat is 10 years old and except for a chronic cough which we're not
> too sure is asthma, Gypsy is fine. She's had a heart echo and blood work
> and all is fine.
>
> So our question is how safe is a bronchoscopy for cats? Should we do
> that or the wash?
>
> Thanks so much
>
> Paula

If the vet will be using a modern flexible fiberoptic endoscope, I'd opt for
the bronchoscopy because it would yield more information than a
trans-tracheal wash. If the vet will be using an old ridged scope, either
go with the wash or find a vet who uses a fiberoptic scope.

Btw, has your cat had chest x-rays and has she been tested for heartworm
disease?

Best of luck,

Phil