PDA

View Full Version : The kitty from hell!

Joao
December 29th 05, 08:15 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm a cat person myself, and I like my girlfriend's
cat. But the little bugger has been driving me insane!

My GF and I live together. A few years back, she adopted this cat from
a friend, and he has always been a wonderful kitty. A bit grumpy at
times, and nervous around strangers, but a nice kitty never the less.

Whenever we would go on vacation, once we got back, the cat would meow
quite a bit during the night for a few days. It was a bit annoying, but
no major hassle. But sometime this last summer, we went on vacation,
and since we've got back, the cat just meows really loud just about
every night. It usually starts around 3 or 4 AM. And it's a small
1-bedroom apartment. Therefore we've both been getting very little sleep.

Someone mentioned squirting it with water whenever he starts, but that
would require turning on the lights, finding the cat, and making sure
not to squirt any electronic equipment. So its not a very good idea.

Can anyone suggest anything else that can be done to stop the meowing?

chas
December 29th 05, 08:24 PM
Give him more attention and let him sleep with you?

chas

NMR
December 29th 05, 08:26 PM
Is the cat neutered
"chas" > wrote in message
> Give him more attention and let him sleep with you?
>
> chas

Bobblespin
December 29th 05, 08:43 PM
> Can anyone suggest anything else that can be done to stop the meowing?

You need to find the cause in order to stop the meowing. Possible causes:

Hunger? - leave some dry food for him to munch on overnight.
Loneliness? - is he allowed on the bed or in your bedroom?
Boredom? - leave some toys out so he can amuse himself and play with him
every evening so he will be tired and sleepy. Perhaps adopt a very young
kitten so he can have company.
Is he neutered? - he might want OUT.

Getting up and running after him to make him stop will only teach him that
for you to get up and pay attention to him, he just has to holler.

Joao
December 29th 05, 08:51 PM
Bobblespin wrote:

> Hunger? - leave some dry food for him to munch on overnight.

We always leave him food overnight. He eats two servings per day. One
in the morning, and one when we first go to bed. I've also tried to
give him some extra food when he starts meowing, but no luck.

> Loneliness? - is he allowed on the bed or in your bedroom?

Yes, he is allowed in the bedroom, and sometimes he jumps right on top
of us while during his meowing sessions.

> Boredom? - leave some toys out so he can amuse himself and play with him
> every evening so he will be tired and sleepy. Perhaps adopt a very young
> kitten so he can have company.

He has lost of toys, but never really plays much. He's about 16 years
old, and was never into toys.

> Is he neutered? - he might want OUT.

Yup. He's neutered. And loud. Very very loud!

Joao
December 29th 05, 08:52 PM
chas wrote:
> Give him more attention and let him sleep with you?

And what makes you assume we don't?

CatNipped
December 29th 05, 09:01 PM
"Joao"
<this_email_address_was_harvested_from_usenet_for_s >
wrote in message ...
> Bobblespin wrote:
>>
>> Hunger? - leave some dry food for him to munch on overnight.
>
> We always leave him food overnight. He eats two servings per day. One in
> the morning, and one when we first go to bed. I've also tried to give him
> some extra food when he starts meowing, but no luck.
>
>> Loneliness? - is he allowed on the bed or in your bedroom?
>
> Yes, he is allowed in the bedroom, and sometimes he jumps right on top of
> us while during his meowing sessions.
>
>> Boredom? - leave some toys out so he can amuse himself and play with him
>> every evening so he will be tired and sleepy. Perhaps adopt a very young
>> kitten so he can have company.
>
> He has lost of toys, but never really plays much. He's about 16 years
> old, and was never into toys.
>
>> Is he neutered? - he might want OUT.
>
> Yup. He's neutered. And loud. Very very loud!

There are a number of medical reasons he could be meowing, especially at
that age. Has he been check by a vet lately? I believe thyroid problems
will cause meowing, or it could be as simple as he is going deaf in his old
age or senile.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Joao
December 29th 05, 09:12 PM
CatNipped wrote:

> Has he been check by a vet lately? I believe thyroid problems
> will cause meowing,

He hasn't been to the vet in the last few months, but he has been since
the nightly meowing sessions started. He did have his thyroid tested
then since he's getting older, but nothing.

> or it could be as simple as he is going deaf in his old
> age or senile.

I guess senile it is, since he's definetly not deaf. Whenever he starts
meowing I just need to make a hissing sound for him to stop for a couple
of minutes, then start again.

mlbriggs
December 29th 05, 10:34 PM
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:15:41 -0500, Joao wrote:

> Don't get me wrong. I'm a cat person myself, and I like my girlfriend's
> cat. But the little bugger has been driving me insane!
>
> My GF and I live together. A few years back, she adopted this cat from
> a friend, and he has always been a wonderful kitty. A bit grumpy at
> times, and nervous around strangers, but a nice kitty never the less.
>
> Whenever we would go on vacation, once we got back, the cat would meow
> quite a bit during the night for a few days. It was a bit annoying, but
> no major hassle. But sometime this last summer, we went on vacation,
> and since we've got back, the cat just meows really loud just about
> every night. It usually starts around 3 or 4 AM. And it's a small
> 1-bedroom apartment. Therefore we've both been getting very little sleep.
>
> Someone mentioned squirting it with water whenever he starts, but that
> would require turning on the lights, finding the cat, and making sure
> not to squirt any electronic equipment. So its not a very good idea.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything else that can be done to stop the meowing?

Just a suggestion. Put it in the bathroom in a comfortable kitty bed.
Turn on a radio = either talk or music (softly) and pray. MLB

Willow
December 29th 05, 11:17 PM
If you want help you might want to mellow out a bit..

There's no way to know either way if yu didn't say and that was a good start
I think..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"Joao"
<this_email_address_was_harvested_from_usenet_for_s [email protected]
n.com> wrote in message ...
> chas wrote:
> > Give him more attention and let him sleep with you?
>
> And what makes you assume we don't?

Helen Miles
December 29th 05, 11:26 PM
"Joao" <this_email_address_was_harvested_from_usenet_for_s> wrote in
message

> I guess senile it is, since he's definetly not deaf. Whenever he starts
> meowing I just need to make a hissing sound for him to stop for a couple
> of minutes, then start again.

Sometimes the older guys get a little confused as they become a little
senile. He's probably meowing for reassurance - especially if he gets
confused easily. Instead of hissing at him, try meowing back at him.
Often my guys will meow to ask where I am in the house and as soon as I
meow back they settle down again.

Helen M

Wendy
December 30th 05, 12:21 AM
"Helen Miles" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...
> "Joao" <this_email_address_was_harvested_from_usenet_for_s> wrote in
> message
>>
>> I guess senile it is, since he's definetly not deaf. Whenever he starts
>> meowing I just need to make a hissing sound for him to stop for a couple
>> of minutes, then start again.
>
> Sometimes the older guys get a little confused as they become a little
> senile. He's probably meowing for reassurance - especially if he gets
> confused easily. Instead of hissing at him, try meowing back at him.
> Often my guys will meow to ask where I am in the house and as soon as I
> meow back they settle down again.
>
> Helen M

Would leaving a radio on low supply some reassurance to the kitty if it is
senility?

Spot
December 30th 05, 12:57 AM
I find that a laser pointer is a great way to tire a cat out and get a good
nights sleep. I have a calico who every once in a while get wound up like a
spring and will drive you crazy at all hours of the night. When I see she's
in one of these moods I will play with her with the lazer for about 30
minutes before I go to bed. All the chasing and attacking that little red
dot plays her out and everyone gets some sleep then.

Celeste

"Bobblespin" > wrote in message
. 197.138...

>> Can anyone suggest anything else that can be done to stop the meowing?
>
> You need to find the cause in order to stop the meowing. Possible causes:
>
> Hunger? - leave some dry food for him to munch on overnight.
> Loneliness? - is he allowed on the bed or in your bedroom?
> Boredom? - leave some toys out so he can amuse himself and play with him
> every evening so he will be tired and sleepy. Perhaps adopt a very young
> kitten so he can have company.
> Is he neutered? - he might want OUT.
>
> Getting up and running after him to make him stop will only teach him that
> for you to get up and pay attention to him, he just has to holler.

Brian Link
December 30th 05, 03:55 AM
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:12:59 -0500, Joao
wrote:

>CatNipped wrote:
>>
>> Has he been check by a vet lately? I believe thyroid problems
>> will cause meowing,
>
>He hasn't been to the vet in the last few months, but he has been since
>the nightly meowing sessions started. He did have his thyroid tested
>then since he's getting older, but nothing.
>
>> or it could be as simple as he is going deaf in his old
>> age or senile.
>
>I guess senile it is, since he's definetly not deaf. Whenever he starts
>meowing I just need to make a hissing sound for him to stop for a couple
>of minutes, then start again.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is that there may be another
cat outside, or recently introduced into the apartment complex.

Cats can 1) hear way better than us and 2) smell way better than us.
Mebbe there's a new kitty howling outside or on a different floor that
your cat is answering. We finally solved Louis' late-night howling
(and by god, a mutt meowing is a gentle breeze next to the siren of a
Bengal shouting) by finding the newest stray and finding a home for
him.

Unfortunately, I don't have a quick solution if this is the cause..
but knowing what the problem is may help you ask the smarter folks in
this group, or your vet.

BLink

Old Salt
December 30th 05, 03:57 AM
Joao wrote:

> Can anyone suggest anything else that can be done to stop the meowing?

Yeah. Hugs.

Old Salt

Frank Pittel
December 30th 05, 10:12 AM
[...]

That's what god invented slippers for!! :-)
--

-------------------

Frank Pittel
December 30th 05, 10:14 AM
Bobblespin > wrote:

: > Can anyone suggest anything else that can be done to stop the meowing?

: You need to find the cause in order to stop the meowing. Possible causes:

I think my cat meows like that out of stupidity. He'll wake up by himself and
not know where I or my other cat is and then start hollering. When I go to him
to find out what's wrong he runs and hides.
--

-------------------

chas
December 30th 05, 02:40 PM
If the loud miaowing is worse when you've just arrived back - it could just
be he's missed you, he's telling you off for leaving him and/or he is
excited you're home.

My cat does the same as yours - but not for as long as yours does. In
between 'shouting' for me if I've gone to bed (although she can still get in
to the bedroom to see me and sleep with me) my cat will charge around the
house in a really mad 10 mins or so then settle down.

I've put it down to a combination of the 3 things suggested above.

chas

Helen Miles
December 30th 05, 03:28 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message

> Would leaving a radio on low supply some reassurance to the kitty if it is
> senility?///

I would have certainly thought it could help - I sometimes leave the TV
on for my cats and it seems to help settle them.

Helen M

Barb
December 30th 05, 04:48 PM
Haven't read all your replies but has he been neutered?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Karen
December 31st 05, 05:18 AM
On 2005-12-30 09:28:52 -0600, "Helen Miles" > said:

> "Wendy" > wrote in message
>

>> Would leaving a radio on low supply some reassurance to the kitty if it
>> is senility?///
>
> I would have certainly thought it could help - I sometimes leave the TV
> on for my cats and it seems to help settle them.
>
> Helen M

Or a nightlight or two.

Willow
December 31st 05, 06:57 AM
In San Francisco we had that old wiggly nightlight and when the bus would
drive down geary (24h line) the thing would shake and make a moving
reflection on the wall... drove the cats insane..

Was worst with earthquakes, the smallest shake (we wouldn't even feel it)
would drive the cats insane to start with and then when they just started
calming down they would see the light moving..

They say San Francisco is never dull.. that sure is true with two neurotic
cats.. ;op

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

news:2005123023184624084%[email protected]