PDA

View Full Version : Need a fondling lesson

blair thompson
December 30th 05, 01:54 AM
I recently adopted a pair of calico sisters, a year old. Neither one
especially likes to be picked up and held, turning into 12-legged
felines if I try. Due to coyotes in the neighbourhood, they are indoor
cats.

I've heard that calicos are not the most touchy-feely types, and as I
am already the third owner in their short lives, I suspect that they
weren't handled much as kittens.

Is this behaviour hard-wired, or should I persevere with them, and try
to get them to enjoy "up close and personal" a bit more? They follow
me from room to room like dogs, sleep with me, and are generally
pretty companionable, one being a tad more sociable than her sis.

Thanks
Blair

Gail
December 30th 05, 02:12 AM
I wouldn't try to force it on them. Give them time and love. Some cats do
not like being picked up even if they were handled as young kittens. Enjoy
your girls!!
Gail
"blair thompson" > wrote in message
> I recently adopted a pair of calico sisters, a year old. Neither one
> especially likes to be picked up and held, turning into 12-legged
> felines if I try. Due to coyotes in the neighbourhood, they are indoor
> cats.
>
> I've heard that calicos are not the most touchy-feely types, and as I
> am already the third owner in their short lives, I suspect that they
> weren't handled much as kittens.
>
> Is this behaviour hard-wired, or should I persevere with them, and try
> to get them to enjoy "up close and personal" a bit more? They follow
> me from room to room like dogs, sleep with me, and are generally
> pretty companionable, one being a tad more sociable than her sis.
>
> Thanks
> Blair

bag-o-switches
December 30th 05, 03:28 AM
Gail wrote:
> I wouldn't try to force it on them. Give them time and love. Some cats do
> not like being picked up even if they were handled as young kittens. Enjoy
> your girls!!
> Gail

:

cybercat
December 30th 05, 03:52 AM
"bag-o-switches" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Gail wrote:
> > I wouldn't try to force it on them. Give them time and love. Some cats
do
> > not like being picked up even if they were handled as young kittens.
Enjoy
> > your girls!!
> > Gail
>
> :

Hmm. You look kinda familiar, around the eyes.

Brian Link
December 30th 05, 05:00 AM
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:54:49 -0800, blair thompson >
wrote:

> I recently adopted a pair of calico sisters, a year old. Neither one
>especially likes to be picked up and held, turning into 12-legged
>felines if I try. Due to coyotes in the neighbourhood, they are indoor
>cats.
>
>I've heard that calicos are not the most touchy-feely types, and as I
>am already the third owner in their short lives, I suspect that they
>weren't handled much as kittens.
>
>Is this behaviour hard-wired, or should I persevere with them, and try
>to get them to enjoy "up close and personal" a bit more? They follow
>me from room to room like dogs, sleep with me, and are generally
>pretty companionable, one being a tad more sociable than her sis.
>
>Thanks
>Blair

One characteristic of Maine Coon cats, as well as some of their moggie
relatives, is the characteristic of loving being "near" you but not
"on" you.

Tiger, a Maine Coon-ish moggie, will not sit on your lap. Only in his
later years (12 yrs) has he decided that in some very particular
situations he loves being pet. This type of cat will also tend to bond
strongly to one person in the household, but be totally indifferent to
everyone else.

Louis (4 yr Bengal) is even more selective - only in his very cuddly,
going-to-sleep mode will he enjoy a gentle stroke on the neck or
cheek. Other times he shrinks away.

Ironically, the new cat, Chloe, will allow you to cuddle her like a
teddy bear, even though she has an arbitrary insane streak which can
turn quite bloody.

Cats are different.

BLink

Willow
December 30th 05, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't force it... let them go as far as they want to..

And pray for the best ;op

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"blair thompson" > wrote in message
> I recently adopted a pair of calico sisters, a year old. Neither one
> especially likes to be picked up and held, turning into 12-legged
> felines if I try. Due to coyotes in the neighbourhood, they are indoor
> cats.
>
> I've heard that calicos are not the most touchy-feely types, and as I
> am already the third owner in their short lives, I suspect that they
> weren't handled much as kittens.
>
> Is this behaviour hard-wired, or should I persevere with them, and try
> to get them to enjoy "up close and personal" a bit more? They follow
> me from room to room like dogs, sleep with me, and are generally
> pretty companionable, one being a tad more sociable than her sis.
>
> Thanks
> Blair

---MIKE---
December 30th 05, 05:00 PM
Brian Link wrote:

>>Tiger, a Maine Coon-ish moggie, will
>> not sit on your lap.

My Tiger is also a Maine Coon-ish cat. He is a 24 pound lap cat. He
will sit there for hours at times usually preferring not to be petted -
just sleeping.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Claude V. Lucas
December 30th 05, 06:41 PM
In article >,
---MIKE--- > wrote:
>Brian Link wrote:
>
>>>Tiger, a Maine Coon-ish moggie, will
>>> not sit on your lap.
>
>My Tiger is also a Maine Coon-ish cat. He is a 24 pound lap cat. He
>will sit there for hours at times usually preferring not to be petted -
>just sleeping.

Bubba the MC is too big for my lap, but if I'm lying down, he'll
stretch out on my chest/stomach and go to sleep. He usually
doesn't mind being petted, but sometimes he'll go from purring
to bite/scratch/bunnykick in a blink. Especially if he's on
the 'nip.

Gotta keep those nails trimmed.

Claude`

January 2nd 06, 06:28 AM
Claude V. Lucas wrote:
> In article >,
> ---MIKE--- > wrote:

> >My Tiger is also a Maine Coon-ish cat. He is a 24 pound lap cat. He
> >will sit there for hours at times usually preferring not to be petted -
> >just sleeping.
> >

> Bubba the MC is too big for my lap, but if I'm lying down, he'll
> stretch out on my chest/stomach and go to sleep. He usually
> doesn't mind being petted, but sometimes he'll go from purring
> to bite/scratch/bunnykick in a blink. Especially if he's on
> the 'nip.
>
> Gotta keep those nails trimmed.
>

> Claude`

Hi! I have a cat who doesn't like to be picked up and I have had her
since she was a kitten(she's 11 now). She loves to be petted and will
sit on my lap when it is her idea, but will not come out when company
is over. Her brother and litermate is totally opposite and they were
raised exactly the same. I think each cat just has their own
personality just like we do!

Claude V. Lucas
January 2nd 06, 06:49 AM
In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
>Claude V. Lucas wrote:
>> In article >,
>> ---MIKE--- > wrote:

>> >My Tiger is also a Maine Coon-ish cat. He is a 24 pound lap cat. He
>> >will sit there for hours at times usually preferring not to be petted -
>> >just sleeping.
>> >

>> Bubba the MC is too big for my lap, but if I'm lying down, he'll
>> stretch out on my chest/stomach and go to sleep. He usually
>> doesn't mind being petted, but sometimes he'll go from purring
>> to bite/scratch/bunnykick in a blink. Especially if he's on
>> the 'nip.
>>
>> Gotta keep those nails trimmed.
>>

>> Claude`
>
>Hi! I have a cat who doesn't like to be picked up and I have had her
>since she was a kitten(she's 11 now). She loves to be petted and will
>sit on my lap when it is her idea, but will not come out when company
>is over. Her brother and litermate is totally opposite and they were
>raised exactly the same. I think each cat just has their own
>personality just like we do!

That's for sure.

When I pick Bubba up I'm always careful to use both
hands and make sure that I support all his weight so
I don't accidentally hurt him and he still wiggles
and makes noises like I'm torturing him.

LOL

He's a people kitty though. He loves company and always
hits the visitors up for a few pets. He's scared to death
of other cats, though. The neighbor's kitten ran him behind
the couch by hissing at him and was only about 1/10 his
size at the time... Dunno what's up with that. It was hilarious.

Claude

cybercat
January 2nd 06, 07:30 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote >
> When I pick Bubba up I'm always careful to use both
> hands and make sure that I support all his weight so
> I don't accidentally hurt him and he still wiggles
> and makes noises like I'm torturing him.
>
> LOL

Cats can be such drama queens! Both of my cats
do this when anyone picks them up. And yet they will
seek affection and snuggle and offer up their tummies
to be petted. Just don't *pick them up.*

Claude V. Lucas
January 2nd 06, 07:45 PM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote >
>> When I pick Bubba up I'm always careful to use both
>> hands and make sure that I support all his weight so
>> I don't accidentally hurt him and he still wiggles
>> and makes noises like I'm torturing him.
>>
>> LOL
>>

>Cats can be such drama queens! Both of my cats
>do this when anyone picks them up. And yet they will
>seek affection and snuggle and offer up their tummies
>to be petted. Just don't *pick them up.*

Bubba fits that description for sure.

Usually when he rolls over and offers up his belly
he's setting bait for the unwary because 9 out of
10 times it turns into grab/bite/scratch/bunnykick
after a few strokes. Usually he's just playing but
if I don't keep him trimmed he'll do some damage.
He never seems to bite hard, but always gives a
"Now I've got *you*" look. Good thing that house
cats aren't any bigger... Some of us would be prey.

Claude

cybercat
January 2nd 06, 08:04 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote

> Good thing that house
> cats aren't any bigger... Some of us would be prey.

I have thought of this! Also, while rubbing my kitty's tummy
while she blisses out and makes google eyes on the bed, I have
thought of how great it would be to lie belly up and have some
Great Big Hand come down and rub your belly and scratch your
head! lol

Claude V. Lucas
January 2nd 06, 08:08 PM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote
>
>> Good thing that house
>> cats aren't any bigger... Some of us would be prey.
>>

>I have thought of this! Also, while rubbing my kitty's tummy
>while she blisses out and makes google eyes on the bed, I have
>thought of how great it would be to lie belly up and have some
>Great Big Hand come down and rub your belly and scratch your
>head! lol

:^)

cybercat
January 3rd 06, 03:40 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
> > "Claude V. Lucas" > wrote
> >
> > > Good thing that house
> > > cats aren't any bigger... Some of us would be prey.
> > >

> > I have thought of this! Also, while rubbing my kitty's tummy
> > while she blisses out and makes google eyes on the bed, I have
> > thought of how great it would be to lie belly up and have some
> > Great Big Hand come down and rub your belly and scratch your
> > head! lol
>
> That's part of my idea of what significant others are for . . . ;)

lol! No, I was thinking the Big Hand--proportional to the
size of ours in relation to a cat. Now just imagine a back rub
with a paw that size.

Now that I think about it, this is kind of scary.

Never mind. :)

black-ip
January 3rd 06, 03:47 AM
cybercat wrote:

> Never mind. :)

never mind what?

cybercat
January 3rd 06, 04:04 AM
"black-ip" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > Never mind. :)
>
> never mind what?

Never mind about the big hand.

Never MIND, lol

black-ip
January 3rd 06, 04:53 AM
Diane wrote:

> Dang, and my fantasies had just begun. I'm fond of belly rubs. (Wish my
> cat were!)

and you're preffered method is by a large hand?

oooo kkkk

maybe this is lapse to time when jolly green giant was household icon

black-ip
January 3rd 06, 05:13 AM
Diane wrote:

> > and you're preffered method is by a large hand?
>
> That was cybercat's. I'm not so picky. ;)

oh, i see, maybe you are willing to settle for Mr Clean

cybercat
January 3rd 06, 06:40 AM
"black-ip" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Diane wrote:
>
> > Dang, and my fantasies had just begun. I'm fond of belly rubs. (Wish my
> > cat were!)
>
> and you're preffered method is by a large hand?
>
> oooo kkkk
>
> maybe this is lapse to time when jolly green giant was household icon

No, no, no. :) You have to be petting your cat on the belly for the
900th time, enjoying her googly-eyed bliss, then imagine what it would
be like if you were in her place and a benign, well-wishing big hand came
in and just laid you out and rubbed you were it feels the best.

Okay, so it is a little surreal. :)

That's why I recommended that you

never

mind.

cybercat
January 3rd 06, 06:42 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> In article om>,

> > > That was cybercat's. I'm not so picky. ;)
> > >

> > oh, i see, maybe you are willing to settle for Mr Clean
>
> Stop! You're making me feel old . . .

He so mean. *shaking my head*

Anyway, I still think the Big Hand is an intriguing thing to think about. :)

2 fingers
January 3rd 06, 07:26 AM
cybercat wrote:

> > > oh, i see, maybe you are willing to settle for Mr Clean
> >
> > Stop! You're making me feel old . . .
> >

> He so mean. *shaking my head*
>
> Anyway, I still think the Big Hand is an intriguing thing to think about. :)

aaawww. i theenk we have a "brawny paper towel man" kind of cat on our
hands tonight