PDA

View Full Version : My private psych ward

Charlie Wilkes
December 31st 05, 07:02 AM
I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
was killed, apparently by a car. I found her in the front yard, all
but unconscious, and took her to the emergency vet where she lived
just long enough to cost me $1,000. The vet thought he was dealing
with a case of poisoning because she had no visible signs of injury,
but he did an autopsy after she died and found a small bruise and a
ruptured spleen. I assume she got cornered on the bumper of a car or
perhaps hit by something protruding from a vehicle, like a farm
implement being towed. She was always afraid of cars and the road,
but something pulled her off guard, apparently.

I got on a plane and came out to the island. It took me awhile to set
up an internet connection using my cell phone and an old computer.

I have a caretaker who takes care of everything and enables me to
wallow in lassitude. I have been sitting around reading old history
books, forgotten lore to go along with the dreary nights. No spectral
birds have dropped by. But that does happen out here, believe it or
not... years ago a neighbor of mine was walking in the woods and a
horned owl lit on his shoulder. He wasn't wearing gloves, so he left
the initiative with the bird. He kept walking and after some time it
flew off.

Tweaker has been my great consolation, oozing affection and not
failing to take a keen interest in anything I am doing. Also,
neighbors have pawned their dogs on me for the holidays, which is a
positive diversion. I have Dogma, a sheep-dog/corgi who I have known
since he was a pup, and over Christmas I had Joey, my tenants' young
dog. Joey is the kind of dog who cats are wise to be afraid of,
because he is some kind of bulldog. But, Tweaker's approach has been
to assume Joey's goodwill, marching right up to him even when he has a
fixed stare and a stiff posture, and not hesitating to horn in on
Joey's food when the dog is trying to eat. I have never seen a cat
who is quite so bold with dogs -- all dogs. But the upshot is that
Tweaker and Joey get along fine. As for Dogma, he's easy... an old
hand with cats and a general policy of peaceful coexistence.

Charlie

NMR
December 31st 05, 07:04 AM
I am sorry for your loss CHARLIE We all we met are friend again on the
bridge in time till than our memories stay strong for they are always
watching

Matthew

"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
>I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
> was killed, apparently by a car. I found her in the front yard, all
> but unconscious, and took her to the emergency vet where she lived
> just long enough to cost me $1,000. The vet thought he was dealing
> with a case of poisoning because she had no visible signs of injury,
> but he did an autopsy after she died and found a small bruise and a
> ruptured spleen. I assume she got cornered on the bumper of a car or
> perhaps hit by something protruding from a vehicle, like a farm
> implement being towed. She was always afraid of cars and the road,
> but something pulled her off guard, apparently.
>
> I got on a plane and came out to the island. It took me awhile to set
> up an internet connection using my cell phone and an old computer.
>
> I have a caretaker who takes care of everything and enables me to
> wallow in lassitude. I have been sitting around reading old history
> books, forgotten lore to go along with the dreary nights. No spectral
> birds have dropped by. But that does happen out here, believe it or
> not... years ago a neighbor of mine was walking in the woods and a
> horned owl lit on his shoulder. He wasn't wearing gloves, so he left
> the initiative with the bird. He kept walking and after some time it
> flew off.
>
> Tweaker has been my great consolation, oozing affection and not
> failing to take a keen interest in anything I am doing. Also,
> neighbors have pawned their dogs on me for the holidays, which is a
> positive diversion. I have Dogma, a sheep-dog/corgi who I have known
> since he was a pup, and over Christmas I had Joey, my tenants' young
> dog. Joey is the kind of dog who cats are wise to be afraid of,
> because he is some kind of bulldog. But, Tweaker's approach has been
> to assume Joey's goodwill, marching right up to him even when he has a
> fixed stare and a stiff posture, and not hesitating to horn in on
> Joey's food when the dog is trying to eat. I have never seen a cat
> who is quite so bold with dogs -- all dogs. But the upshot is that
> Tweaker and Joey get along fine. As for Dogma, he's easy... an old
> hand with cats and a general policy of peaceful coexistence.
>
> Charlie

Gold Finger
December 31st 05, 07:32 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
> was killed, apparently by a car.

Sorry there! Im sure everyone misses her
she probably just faded after the rupture

> hand with cats and a general policy of peaceful coexistence.
>
> Charlie

the rest sounds very healthy indeed, a nice way to start a brand new
year

Thats nice about the nieghbors dogs, they are probably having a blast
don't be too nice, they might not go home

so you hopped an old dinasour pc onto the net through the cell phone
that's got to be fun, pretty clever

I have a few connection notches in my belt myself...but never through a
cell phone

i've been using google earth, without me having to dig around, what
island are you on
i wanted to see it with google earth, just something to do

take care!

-L.
December 31st 05, 07:35 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
> was killed, apparently by a car. I found her in the front yard, all
> but unconscious, and took her to the emergency vet where she lived
> just long enough to cost me $1,000. The vet thought he was dealing
> with a case of poisoning because she had no visible signs of injury,
> but he did an autopsy after she died and found a small bruise and a
> ruptured spleen. I assume she got cornered on the bumper of a car or
> perhaps hit by something protruding from a vehicle, like a farm
> implement being towed. She was always afraid of cars and the road,
> but something pulled her off guard, apparently.

That totally sucks, Charlie. Totally. It's the one reason my dog is
never off-lead any more unless the area is completely fenced. No
matter how well-trained they are, something can always make them revert
to being "all dog". How old was she?

-L.

Charlie Wilkes
December 31st 05, 10:07 AM
On 30 Dec 2005 23:35:54 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>> I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
>> was killed, apparently by a car. I found her in the front yard, all
>> but unconscious, and took her to the emergency vet where she lived
>> just long enough to cost me $1,000. The vet thought he was dealing
>> with a case of poisoning because she had no visible signs of injury,
>> but he did an autopsy after she died and found a small bruise and a
>> ruptured spleen. I assume she got cornered on the bumper of a car or
>> perhaps hit by something protruding from a vehicle, like a farm
>> implement being towed. She was always afraid of cars and the road,
>> but something pulled her off guard, apparently.
>
>That totally sucks, Charlie. Totally. It's the one reason my dog is
>never off-lead any more unless the area is completely fenced. No
>matter how well-trained they are, something can always make them revert
>to being "all dog". How old was she?
>
>-L.

She was not quite 5. You are right re fencing. I thought this was
one dog who didn't need it, but lots of people have sung that refrain,
right? Anyway, it will be awhile before I get another dog, and I
doubt if I will make the same mistake. It's a miserable way to learn.

The cat I keep indoors, because there is no doubt that he would be
easy prey for anything. I found him splattered in the middle of the
road, as you know. He doesn't want to go outside, either, and he is
very tidy with his business in the litter box, so there is no need.

For years I was happy being friends with other peoples' dogs, and
taking care of them as they showed up or as their owners dropped them
off, knowing I'm a pushover for animals. That may be the best way for
me to operate, at least for awhile.

Charlie

Gold Finger
December 31st 05, 02:48 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> off, knowing I'm a pushover for animals. That may be the best way for
> me to operate, at least for awhile.
>
> Charlie

just messin with ya dude!

its aight im cool
i figure your cell phone died there on gilligans island
somewhere out on the south pacific
?

i have no clue

i am as suprised as you are

CatNipped
December 31st 05, 04:12 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
>I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
> was killed, apparently by a car. I found her in the front yard, all
> but unconscious, and took her to the emergency vet where she lived
> just long enough to cost me $1,000. The vet thought he was dealing
> with a case of poisoning because she had no visible signs of injury,
> but he did an autopsy after she died and found a small bruise and a
> ruptured spleen. I assume she got cornered on the bumper of a car or
> perhaps hit by something protruding from a vehicle, like a farm
> implement being towed. She was always afraid of cars and the road,
> but something pulled her off guard, apparently.
>
> I got on a plane and came out to the island. It took me awhile to set
> up an internet connection using my cell phone and an old computer.
>
> I have a caretaker who takes care of everything and enables me to
> wallow in lassitude. I have been sitting around reading old history
> books, forgotten lore to go along with the dreary nights. No spectral
> birds have dropped by. But that does happen out here, believe it or
> not... years ago a neighbor of mine was walking in the woods and a
> horned owl lit on his shoulder. He wasn't wearing gloves, so he left
> the initiative with the bird. He kept walking and after some time it
> flew off.
>
> Tweaker has been my great consolation, oozing affection and not
> failing to take a keen interest in anything I am doing. Also,
> neighbors have pawned their dogs on me for the holidays, which is a
> positive diversion. I have Dogma, a sheep-dog/corgi who I have known
> since he was a pup, and over Christmas I had Joey, my tenants' young
> dog. Joey is the kind of dog who cats are wise to be afraid of,
> because he is some kind of bulldog. But, Tweaker's approach has been
> to assume Joey's goodwill, marching right up to him even when he has a
> fixed stare and a stiff posture, and not hesitating to horn in on
> Joey's food when the dog is trying to eat. I have never seen a cat
> who is quite so bold with dogs -- all dogs. But the upshot is that
> Tweaker and Joey get along fine. As for Dogma, he's easy... an old
> hand with cats and a general policy of peaceful coexistence.
>
> Charlie

{{{{{{{{{{Charlie}}}}}}}}}}

I'm sorry to hear that about Holly, Charlie. It's hard to lose a loved one
at any time, but especially hard around the holidays.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

December 31st 05, 04:54 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> I have a caretaker who takes care of everything and enables me to
> wallow in lassitude. I have been sitting around reading old history
> books, forgotten lore to go along with the dreary nights. No spectral
> birds have dropped by.

Haha! I love that monster poem.

> Tweaker has been my great consolation, oozing affection and not
> failing to take a keen interest in anything I am doing. Also,
> neighbors have pawned their dogs on me for the holidays, which is a
> positive diversion. I have Dogma, a sheep-dog/corgi who I have known
> since he was a pup, and over Christmas I had Joey, my tenants' young
> dog.

Neat name, neat blend of breeds! I think we need some pics!

Joey is the kind of dog who cats are wise to be afraid of,
> because he is some kind of bulldog. But, Tweaker's approach has been
> to assume Joey's goodwill, marching right up to him even when he has a
> fixed stare and a stiff posture, and not hesitating to horn in on
> Joey's food when the dog is trying to eat. I have never seen a cat
> who is quite so bold with dogs -- all dogs. But the upshot is that
> Tweaker and Joey get along fine. As for Dogma, he's easy... an old
> hand with cats and a general policy of peaceful coexistence.

Welcome back, Charlie, you have been missed. I really am so sorry
about your baby girl. I wish things like this never happened.

-L.
December 31st 05, 11:16 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> She was not quite 5.

Damn. Way too young.

>You are right re fencing. I thought this was
> one dog who didn't need it, but lots of people have sung that refrain,
> right?

What convinced me was hiking with my Border Collie mix and my Basenji
mix in NC. They took off like they usually did, but always before they
would stay within earshot. This time, Tosh didn't return: she had been
hit by a guy on a trail bike. We found her sitting next to the car
waiting for us to come back - injured but overall, ok. That was the
last off-lead, non-fenced session they had. It taught me that no dog
can be trusted 100%. I still wonder if that injury lead to her
eventual fatal tumor - the vet said that sometimes an internal injury
will become cancerous.

>Anyway, it will be awhile before I get another dog, and I
> doubt if I will make the same mistake. It's a miserable way to learn.

Eventually another dog will find you. They always do, IME.

-L.

Candace
January 1st 06, 02:55 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
> was killed, apparently by a car. I found her in the front yard, all
> but unconscious, and took her to the emergency vet where she lived
> just long enough to cost me $1,000.

I'm truly very sorry about Holly, Charlie. I loved your stories about
Holly and Tweaker interacting. It's very sad. It sounds as though she
did not suffer long...or at all, hopefully. And she had a good and
exciting and loved life until her end. My condolences.

Candace

Charlie Wilkes
January 1st 06, 03:27 AM
On 31 Dec 2005 06:48:34 -0800, "Gold Finger"
> wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>> off, knowing I'm a pushover for animals. That may be the best way for
>> me to operate, at least for awhile.
>>
>> Charlie
>
>just messin with ya dude!
>
>its aight im cool
>i figure your cell phone died there on gilligans island
>somewhere out on the south pacific
>?
>
>i have no clue

It's ok, Barry. I live in the San Juan Islands, where cluelessness is
the norm. The Corsican mouflon, for example, is endangered in
Corsica, but it is a nuisance species on Spieden Island. "So many
mouflons, so little time" is a commonly heard refrain in these parts.
Presumably -- eons ago -- a breeding pair floated around the Cape of
Good Hope on a log jam, and from there got caught up in the Japanese
Current. But how could untrained mouflons survive such a long passage
at sea??? No one knows.

If you ever caught an episode of "Twin Peaks" on TV, you will have
some idea of what it is like around here. No one seems to know
anything, and what they do know, they ain't telling. It can be quite
frustrating.

Charlie

>i am as suprised as you are

Charlie Wilkes
January 1st 06, 03:34 AM
On 31 Dec 2005 17:54:27 +0100, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
>> I have a caretaker who takes care of everything and enables me to
>> wallow in lassitude. I have been sitting around reading old history
>> books, forgotten lore to go along with the dreary nights. No spectral
>> birds have dropped by.
>
>Haha! I love that monster poem.
>

>> Tweaker has been my great consolation, oozing affection and not
>> failing to take a keen interest in anything I am doing. Also,
>> neighbors have pawned their dogs on me for the holidays, which is a
>> positive diversion. I have Dogma, a sheep-dog/corgi who I have known
>> since he was a pup, and over Christmas I had Joey, my tenants' young
>> dog.
>
>Neat name, neat blend of breeds! I think we need some pics!
>
> Joey is the kind of dog who cats are wise to be afraid of,
>> because he is some kind of bulldog. But, Tweaker's approach has been
>> to assume Joey's goodwill, marching right up to him even when he has a
>> fixed stare and a stiff posture, and not hesitating to horn in on
>> Joey's food when the dog is trying to eat. I have never seen a cat
>> who is quite so bold with dogs -- all dogs. But the upshot is that
>> Tweaker and Joey get along fine. As for Dogma, he's easy... an old
>> hand with cats and a general policy of peaceful coexistence.
>>

>Welcome back, Charlie, you have been missed. I really am so sorry
>about your baby girl. I wish things like this never happened.

Thank you. I wish so, too, but they do. I guess I could go over to
Ed Wms. web site and read some poetry, eh?

"Alas, poor Rover!
He rolled over
The White Cliffs of Dover
He's splattered on the beach...
Do I dare to eat a peach?"

(by T.S. Arnold)

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
January 1st 06, 03:38 AM
On 31 Dec 2005 18:55:15 -0800, "Candace" > wrote:

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>> I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
>> was killed, apparently by a car. I found her in the front yard, all
>> but unconscious, and took her to the emergency vet where she lived
>> just long enough to cost me $1,000.
>
>I'm truly very sorry about Holly, Charlie. I loved your stories about
>Holly and Tweaker interacting. It's very sad. It sounds as though she
>did not suffer long...or at all, hopefully. And she had a good and
>exciting and loved life until her end. My condolences.
>
>Candace

Thank you Candace. She suffered a bit, but probably not terribly.
She did have a good life, and she was loved by quite a few people
besides myself.

I will probably fly down to AZ/NM sometime this winter with Tweaker.
I'm on a tight budget so I'll just camp on your couch. You won't even
know I'm there. Not more than a month at the outside.

Charlie

cybercat
January 1st 06, 04:24 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote> >Welcome back,
Charlie, you have been missed. I really am so sorry
> >about your baby girl. I wish things like this never happened.
> >
> Thank you. I wish so, too, but they do. I guess I could go over to
> Ed Wms. web site and read some poetry, eh?

What site is this??

> "Alas, poor Rover!
> He rolled over
> The White Cliffs of Dover
> He's splattered on the beach...
> Do I dare to eat a peach?"
>
> (by T.S. Arnold)

:) I imagine that he had hear the mermaids singing
each to each

but did not think that they would sing for, uh, .... he.

Charlie Wilkes
January 1st 06, 11:24 AM
On 1 Jan 2006 05:24:01 +0100, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote> >Welcome back,
>Charlie, you have been missed. I really am so sorry
>> >about your baby girl. I wish things like this never happened.
>> >
>> Thank you. I wish so, too, but they do. I guess I could go over to
>> Ed Wms. web site and read some poetry, eh?
>
>What site is this??

www.petloss.com Ed is a two-bit huckster who has hit on a scam to
exploit people's grief. He has a chat session on Thursday nights, or
some such thing, and I have suggested that sometime I might like to
participate. Ed is not keen on that idea, and we've gone back and
forth a bit to exchange views. Frankly and candidly, I might add.

Charlie

>> "Alas, poor Rover!
>> He rolled over
>> The White Cliffs of Dover
>> He's splattered on the beach...
>> Do I dare to eat a peach?"
>>
>> (by T.S. Arnold)
>>

>:) I imagine that he had hear the mermaids singing
>each to each
>
>but did not think that they would sing for, uh, .... he.

cybercat
January 1st 06, 06:04 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On 1 Jan 2006 05:24:01 +0100, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> >"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote> >Welcome
back,
> >Charlie, you have been missed. I really am so sorry
> >> >
> >> Thank you. I wish so, too, but they do. I guess I could go over to
> >> Ed Wms. web site and read some poetry, eh?
> >
> >What site is this??
>
> www.petloss.com Ed is a two-bit huckster who has hit on a scam to
> exploit people's grief. He has a chat session on Thursday nights, or
> some such thing, and I have suggested that sometime I might like to
> participate. Ed is not keen on that idea, and we've gone back and
> forth a bit to exchange views. Frankly and candidly, I might add.

oooo

He charges money for this??

Candace
January 2nd 06, 12:45 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> I will probably fly down to AZ/NM sometime this winter with Tweaker.
> I'm on a tight budget so I'll just camp on your couch. You won't even
> know I'm there. Not more than a month at the outside.
>
> Charlie

Okey-dokey. Sounds swell.

Candace

Rhonda
January 2nd 06, 05:01 AM
I'm sorry, Charlie. I know you loved that dog. At least she did not
suffer long.

Tweaker sounds like an angel with fur.

Take care,

Rhonda

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
> was killed, apparently by a car.

Charlie Wilkes
January 2nd 06, 05:37 AM
On 1 Jan 2006 19:04:39 +0100, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
>> On 1 Jan 2006 05:24:01 +0100, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>

>> >"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote> >Welcome
>back,
>> >Charlie, you have been missed. I really am so sorry

>> >What site is this??
>>
>> www.petloss.com Ed is a two-bit huckster who has hit on a scam to
>> exploit people's grief. He has a chat session on Thursday nights, or
>> some such thing, and I have suggested that sometime I might like to
>> participate. Ed is not keen on that idea, and we've gone back and
>> forth a bit to exchange views. Frankly and candidly, I might add.
>>

>oooo
>
>He charges money for this??

No, not really. People can get a smarmy pat on the back without
paying anything, as far as I know. He takes donations and he used to
sell pet-loss paraphernalia, but it looks like he fell behind on
completing the orders owing to medical problems. (Maybe there will be
a www.ed-loss.com in the near future.)

Every funeral home in the country exploits grief on a much larger and
more expensive scale than Ed does. So, I have no real complaints. Ed
has made some redneck comments about my herbal habits, and I have
offered some caustic remarks about the schmaltzy verse on his web
site, and that's about all there is to it.

Ed has some followers amongst the Anecdolts, because I saw a nauseous
fable from his website reprinted in that group.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
January 2nd 06, 09:23 AM
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 05:01:16 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>I'm sorry, Charlie. I know you loved that dog. At least she did not
>suffer long.
>
>Tweaker sounds like an angel with fur.
>
>Take care,
>
>Rhonda

Thanks Rhonda. Tweaker is a wonderful pal, for sure. My human
friends have been very solicitous as well, even though I have been
ignoring them all for the past 2 or 3 years. My New Years Resolution
is to stop telling everyone to **** off and leave me alone.

Charlie

>Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>
>> I need it... it has been 3 weeks and a day now since my dog, Holly,
>> was killed, apparently by a car.

cybercat
January 2nd 06, 04:43 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote :> >
> >oooo
> >
> >He charges money for this??
> >
> No, not really. People can get a smarmy pat on the back without
> paying anything, as far as I know. He takes donations and he used to
> sell pet-loss paraphernalia, but it looks like he fell behind on
> completing the orders owing to medical problems. (Maybe there will be
> a www.ed-loss.com in the near future.)
>
> Every funeral home in the country exploits grief on a much larger and
> more expensive scale than Ed does. So, I have no real complaints. Ed
> has made some redneck comments about my herbal habits, and I have
> offered some caustic remarks about the schmaltzy verse on his web
> site, and that's about all there is to it.
>
> Ed has some followers amongst the Anecdolts, because I saw a nauseous
> fable from his website reprinted in that group.

I can't be sure, but it sounds to me like you might be feeling a little
better. lol!

What I want to know: who coined the phrase "anecdolts?" Was it you?

Charlie Wilkes
January 3rd 06, 06:05 AM
On 2 Jan 2006 17:43:10 +0100, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote :> >
>> >oooo
>> >
>> >He charges money for this??
>> >
>> No, not really. People can get a smarmy pat on the back without
>> paying anything, as far as I know. He takes donations and he used to
>> sell pet-loss paraphernalia, but it looks like he fell behind on
>> completing the orders owing to medical problems. (Maybe there will be
>> a www.ed-loss.com in the near future.)
>>
>> Every funeral home in the country exploits grief on a much larger and
>> more expensive scale than Ed does. So, I have no real complaints. Ed
>> has made some redneck comments about my herbal habits, and I have
>> offered some caustic remarks about the schmaltzy verse on his web
>> site, and that's about all there is to it.
>>
>> Ed has some followers amongst the Anecdolts, because I saw a nauseous
>> fable from his website reprinted in that group.
>>

>I can't be sure, but it sounds to me like you might be feeling a little
>better. lol!

About the same. I think it's wise to keep a stiff upper lip, although
there is a lot of bad dime-store psychology that says otherwise. I
don't like to be too much of a pampered first-worlder... there are
lots of people who bear much tougher losses stoically because they
have no choice, they gotta deal with the rudimentary business of
survival and providing food for empty stomachs. In the midst of
death, there is life, right?

>What I want to know: who coined the phrase "anecdolts?" Was it you?

It is such an obvious coinage, I think any credit should go to Jill
McQuown, Christine Websell, Dan Mahoney, etc. etc. etc. They are the
ones whose daily drivel and boundless self-indulgence make such
wordplay inevitable.

Charlie

2 fingers
January 3rd 06, 06:24 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
They are the
> ones whose daily drivel and boundless self-indulgence make such
> wordplay inevitable.

that is genius of you

"boundless self indulgence"

having a field day in the playground of their minds

they're acceptance of themselves is so exceptional it extends and
assumes it's position of it's peers, that is, assumes that everybody
loves it...can't get enough

yeah

2 fingers
January 4th 06, 12:12 AM