PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding cat dental issues

Boxwood Studios
January 3rd 06, 12:55 AM
When I got my beloved Annie (see photos as
http://www.geocities.com/eastmountainsmusic/stories.html#rainbow ) she
was an orphan in Austin. My cat previous to her, Edward, had died
after being with me for 16 years. So I was looking for another friend,
and Annie showed up.

She was pregnant when I found her, and she had four kittens, for whom I
found good homes. (A "teenaged pregnancy" the vet called it.) I kept
her in after that, had her fixed, good care, good food, no outside
roaming any more. Problem is, she lived in a very large cat populated
area with I think a good bit of violence, and some time after I got
her, I was petting her, and her front big tooth fell out in my hands.
It was rotten!

So my question is: the rest of her teeth look fine and I've had them
cleaned once. Will the loss of that one fang be a problem for her as
she ages?

Thanks,
Connie

CatNipped
January 3rd 06, 01:16 AM
"Boxwood Studios" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> When I got my beloved Annie (see photos as
> http://www.geocities.com/eastmountainsmusic/stories.html#rainbow ) she
> was an orphan in Austin. My cat previous to her, Edward, had died
> after being with me for 16 years. So I was looking for another friend,
> and Annie showed up.
>
> She was pregnant when I found her, and she had four kittens, for whom I
> found good homes. (A "teenaged pregnancy" the vet called it.) I kept
> her in after that, had her fixed, good care, good food, no outside
> roaming any more. Problem is, she lived in a very large cat populated
> area with I think a good bit of violence, and some time after I got
> her, I was petting her, and her front big tooth fell out in my hands.
> It was rotten!
>
> So my question is: the rest of her teeth look fine and I've had them
> cleaned once. Will the loss of that one fang be a problem for her as
> she ages?
>
> Thanks,
> Connie

No, not at all. I've heard of cats getting by with no front teeth at all.
As long as you keep the rest of her teeth cleaned and health she should be
just fine.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Boxwood Studios
January 3rd 06, 01:17 AM
Oh good, thank you; that's good to know. I love her SO MUCH. :)

CatNipped
January 3rd 06, 01:29 AM
"Boxwood Studios" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Oh good, thank you; that's good to know. I love her SO MUCH. :)

Of course! She's a beautiful little girl!!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Larry
January 3rd 06, 01:31 AM
All my Mario has left is a few, maybe two of the small teeth in the back of
his mouth. He gets along fine. He eats both canned and a little dry.

--
Larry - Owned by ten cats

Boxwood Studios
January 3rd 06, 01:54 AM
>> Of course! She's a beautiful little girl!!

She really is; she's so sweet. I'm a music teacher and she "helps" me
with my little students. She also takes care of me, makes sure I get
to bed at a reasonable hour, and comforts me when I'm in pain (I have
MS). It's like SHE'S taking care of ME. God bless her little heart.

How can people be mean to animals? I refuse even to eat animals. I'd
rather starve. I don't, however, force my views on her. She gets
Fancy feast, dry.

Connie

( I sent this before, but it timed out or something...forgive me if it
comes up twice)

Tony P.
January 3rd 06, 01:55 AM
In article om>,
says...
> When I got my beloved Annie (see photos as
> http://www.geocities.com/eastmountainsmusic/stories.html#rainbow ) she
> was an orphan in Austin. My cat previous to her, Edward, had died
> after being with me for 16 years. So I was looking for another friend,
> and Annie showed up.
>
> She was pregnant when I found her, and she had four kittens, for whom I
> found good homes. (A "teenaged pregnancy" the vet called it.) I kept
> her in after that, had her fixed, good care, good food, no outside
> roaming any more. Problem is, she lived in a very large cat populated
> area with I think a good bit of violence, and some time after I got
> her, I was petting her, and her front big tooth fell out in my hands.
> It was rotten!
>
> So my question is: the rest of her teeth look fine and I've had them
> cleaned once. Will the loss of that one fang be a problem for her as
> she ages?

My eldest Randy has had two fangs and two molars removed. Seems dumbass
doesn't know you should chew the food.

The vet tells me that the kibble is small enough to be swallowed whole
which is precisely what bright boy has been doing for sixteen years of
his life.

So yes, indoor cats could survive if they were toothless.

Phil P.
January 3rd 06, 03:13 AM
"Boxwood Studios" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> When I got my beloved Annie (see photos as
> http://www.geocities.com/eastmountainsmusic/stories.html#rainbow ) she
> was an orphan in Austin. My cat previous to her, Edward, had died
> after being with me for 16 years. So I was looking for another friend,
> and Annie showed up.
>
> She was pregnant when I found her, and she had four kittens, for whom I
> found good homes. (A "teenaged pregnancy" the vet called it.) I kept
> her in after that, had her fixed, good care, good food, no outside
> roaming any more. Problem is, she lived in a very large cat populated
> area with I think a good bit of violence, and some time after I got
> her, I was petting her, and her front big tooth fell out in my hands.
> It was rotten!
>
> So my question is: the rest of her teeth look fine and I've had them
> cleaned once. Will the loss of that one fang be a problem for her as
> she ages?

Not at all. Cats use their fangs (canines) for capturing and killing prey.
The tiny incisors between the canines are used to hold struggling prey.
Cats don't chew food as in mastication- they cut meat and crunch dry food
with their carnassials- which work like shears.

Phil

JJ
January 3rd 06, 03:17 AM
I have a cat that had all of her teeth removed due to stomatitis(sp).
She gets along fine - and is actually overweight....eats dry food and
moist food sparingly. The only thing about cats with fewer teeth etc-
is they must be inside at all times. Other factors to consider:
Cats without teeth need assistance with grooming. In my case, one of
my other cats helps the cat without teeth by grooming her! And cats
without teeth have less to defende themselves with so must be safely
housed (ie without any other aggressive cats) Good luck for your baby
- cats are angels aren't they!

CatNipped
January 3rd 06, 03:59 AM
"Boxwood Studios" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>>> Of course! She's a beautiful little girl!!
>
> She really is; she's so sweet. I'm a music teacher and she "helps" me
> with my little students. She also takes care of me, makes sure I get
> to bed at a reasonable hour, and comforts me when I'm in pain (I have
> MS). It's like SHE'S taking care of ME. God bless her little heart.
>
> How can people be mean to animals? I refuse even to eat animals. I'd
> rather starve. I don't, however, force my views on her. She gets
> Fancy feast, dry.
>
> Connie
>
> ( I sent this before, but it timed out or something...forgive me if it
> comes up twice)

Nope, I just saw it once.

I know exactly what you mean. Mine seem to know when I'm feeling really
bad (I have fibromyalgia and degenerative disk disease), and they come and
lay next to me and start purring. Even if it can't make me feel better
physically, it makes me feel better emotionally. I wouldn't know what to do
without them

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Boxwood
January 3rd 06, 04:18 AM
I love your page. The Bandit story really made me cry. Oh my.

CatNipped
January 3rd 06, 03:06 PM
"Boxwood" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I love your page. The Bandit story really made me cry. Oh my.

Thank you!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

January 3rd 06, 06:22 PM
Hi-
your post tore me up. Its so wrong. people are so cruel. A baby is
rescued from a well why the world stops and hold its breath but a
kitten is thrown out of moving car on IH35??? It just about kills me.
Life is life. And animals are like babies that we commit to caring for
and loving. It should be a lot harder to adopt.
I live in austin and my new kitten Sophie looks like your baby. I was
told she is a Turkish Van. She. like your baby, is beautiful!
here is Sophie.
http://www.catster.com/?238825