PDA

View Full Version : Ear medicine problems

Angela St.Aubin
January 3rd 06, 04:15 AM
I have three cats and they have been passing earmites back and forth on and
off for ages now, so I got Biogroom earmite treatment, in the form of ear
drops and gave them all their first dose today. I have cleaned their ears
before, and used other liquids in them, and they have never cared much, but
just a few drops of this and they were scratching, trying to get away, and i
had to hold them all down, and they are all sulking now.
does it burn or something? it does smell strong, but i only got 3 drops or
so in each ear, and it says to use 10, so i know its not too much.
I hate hurting them, but the earmites have to go and this is the only brand
of medicine available in my area, i called all around.
Any ideas?

Angela St.Aubin
January 3rd 06, 04:27 AM
okay, something is definitely not right, i just went to check on them, and
all 2 of them have their ears pointed back, and rusty actually ran away and
tried to hide when i went to see him, he has never once done that!
what have i done to my kitties!?

Rhonda
January 3rd 06, 05:01 AM
I don't know the answer to your questions, but I would suggest you call
a vet about it. I wonder if they had open sores in their ears from the
itching and the biogroom burned.

If they are really in distress, you might try to get them into a vet
tonight.

Good luck to all of you,

Rhonda

Angela St.Aubin wrote:

> okay, something is definitely not right, i just went to check on them, and
> all 2 of them have their ears pointed back, and rusty actually ran away and
> tried to hide when i went to see him, he has never once done that!
> what have i done to my kitties!?

Edward Chimiel
January 3rd 06, 05:08 AM
Angela,
I have tried to find Biogroom earmite treatment to see the label and
according to their webite, they just have ear cleaners. They do contain
boric acid and salicylic acid. Is this the same item that you are using? I
would recommend that since this is disturbing your cats, try to remove it.
You can use plain mineral oil on a Q-Tip. Using the mineral oil will also
help in removing some of the earmites. The vet clinic that I work in uses
the mineral oil to gently clean the ears. Then apply 2 drops of regular
Frontline (Not Plus) into each ear. Clean out the ears every 2-3 days with
a dry Q-Tip and reapply 2 drops of Frontline in 3 weeks to kill the new
hatch. Good luck with your babies.
"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
> okay, something is definitely not right, i just went to check on them, and
> all 2 of them have their ears pointed back, and rusty actually ran away
> and
> tried to hide when i went to see him, he has never once done that!
> what have i done to my kitties!?

Angela St.Aubin
January 3rd 06, 07:12 AM
"Edward Chimiel" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Angela,
> I have tried to find Biogroom earmite treatment to see the label and
> according to their webite, they just have ear cleaners. They do contain
> boric acid and salicylic acid. Is this the same item that you are using?
> would recommend that since this is disturbing your cats, try to remove it.
> You can use plain mineral oil on a Q-Tip. Using the mineral oil will also
> help in removing some of the earmites. The vet clinic that I work in uses
> the mineral oil to gently clean the ears. Then apply 2 drops of regular
> Frontline (Not Plus) into each ear. Clean out the ears every 2-3 days
with
> a dry Q-Tip and reapply 2 drops of Frontline in 3 weeks to kill the new
> hatch. Good luck with your babies.

This specifically says it is to treat earmites and that it should not be
used if there are no ear mites present.

I live in a small town, where options are limited, and I dont have 150$ but
40$ cabfare to take one of the cats to the vet to get them seen to get the
frontline or any other vet-only product. I called around and they wont give
it without an appointment.
And if this irritates them, assumingly any will, but i dont know what else
to do.
mineral oil works for cleansing, but it cant eliminate the mites, and with 3
cats, they just keep making the rounds.

Angela St.Aubin
January 3rd 06, 07:14 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> I don't know the answer to your questions, but I would suggest you call
> a vet about it. I wonder if they had open sores in their ears from the
> itching and the biogroom burned.
>
> If they are really in distress, you might try to get them into a vet
> tonight.
>
> Good luck to all of you,
>
> Rhonda

They may have had little sores from scratching, but I didn't see any.
Illogical that a product would be made like that since its pretty common for
cats with ear mites to scratch.
I dont have access to the kind of money needed to get to a vet in a rural
area with no car.
I wiped as much as it off as i could and there doesn't seem to be any
redness or anything.

Charlie Wilkes
January 3rd 06, 10:40 AM
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 01:12:56 -0500, "Angela St.Aubin"
> wrote:

>"Edward Chimiel" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>> Angela,
>> I have tried to find Biogroom earmite treatment to see the label and
>> according to their webite, they just have ear cleaners. They do contain
>> boric acid and salicylic acid. Is this the same item that you are using?
>> would recommend that since this is disturbing your cats, try to remove it.
>> You can use plain mineral oil on a Q-Tip. Using the mineral oil will also
>> help in removing some of the earmites. The vet clinic that I work in uses
>> the mineral oil to gently clean the ears. Then apply 2 drops of regular
>> Frontline (Not Plus) into each ear. Clean out the ears every 2-3 days
>with
>> a dry Q-Tip and reapply 2 drops of Frontline in 3 weeks to kill the new
>> hatch. Good luck with your babies.
>
>This specifically says it is to treat earmites and that it should not be
>used if there are no ear mites present.
>
>I live in a small town, where options are limited, and I dont have 150$ but
>40$ cabfare to take one of the cats to the vet to get them seen to get the
>frontline or any other vet-only product. I called around and they wont give
>it without an appointment.
>And if this irritates them, assumingly any will, but i dont know what else
>to do.
>mineral oil works for cleansing, but it cant eliminate the mites, and with 3
>cats, they just keep making the rounds.

Ivermectin works if properly administered. My vet gave me a single
dose of Ivermectin, applied in an ointment, and that was the end of my
cat's ear mite problem.

Ivermectin is sold over-the-counter as "heartgard" for heartworm in
dogs, $12.99 for six pills for dogs under 25 pounds at
www.petdrug.com. Whether that would be safe for cats and whether two
pills per cat would be enough, I don't know, but perhaps someone here
does.

Charlie

January 3rd 06, 06:05 PM
My baby had earmites before I got her. And I tok her in because she
was scratching. Vet said she had gotten a secondary infection and gave
me drops. Maybe thats it? I hope so!
Sarah Liz

Edward Chimiel
January 3rd 06, 08:37 PM
Frontline is available without a Rx. You can order it online at most animal
retail sites ie Dr Foster & Smith, Jefferspet, petmed etc. Some pet
stores, excluding Petsmart, carry it as well. It's more cost effective,
easier to use and works just as well as the Rx treatments.
"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Edward Chimiel" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> Angela,
>> I have tried to find Biogroom earmite treatment to see the label and
>> according to their webite, they just have ear cleaners. They do contain
>> boric acid and salicylic acid. Is this the same item that you are using?
>> would recommend that since this is disturbing your cats, try to remove
>> it.
>> You can use plain mineral oil on a Q-Tip. Using the mineral oil will
>> also
>> help in removing some of the earmites. The vet clinic that I work in
>> uses
>> the mineral oil to gently clean the ears. Then apply 2 drops of regular
>> Frontline (Not Plus) into each ear. Clean out the ears every 2-3 days
> with
>> a dry Q-Tip and reapply 2 drops of Frontline in 3 weeks to kill the new
>> hatch. Good luck with your babies.
>
> This specifically says it is to treat earmites and that it should not be
> used if there are no ear mites present.
>
> I live in a small town, where options are limited, and I dont have 150$
> but
> 40$ cabfare to take one of the cats to the vet to get them seen to get the
> frontline or any other vet-only product. I called around and they wont
> give
> it without an appointment.
> And if this irritates them, assumingly any will, but i dont know what else
> to do.
> mineral oil works for cleansing, but it cant eliminate the mites, and with
> 3
> cats, they just keep making the rounds.

Angela St.Aubin
January 8th 06, 06:52 PM
Thanks, I will keep that in mind for the future.
I dont shop online because 1. I am Canadian and most stores are American
2. I dont have a credit card and most stores dont take cheques.

"Edward Chimiel" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Frontline is available without a Rx. You can order it online at most
animal
> retail sites ie Dr Foster & Smith, Jefferspet, petmed etc. Some pet
> stores, excluding Petsmart, carry it as well. It's more cost effective,
> easier to use and works just as well as the Rx treatments.
> "Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "Edward Chimiel" > wrote in message
> > nk.net...
> >> Angela,
> >> I have tried to find Biogroom earmite treatment to see the label and
> >> according to their webite, they just have ear cleaners. They do
contain
> >> boric acid and salicylic acid. Is this the same item that you are
using?
> >> would recommend that since this is disturbing your cats, try to remove
> >> it.
> >> You can use plain mineral oil on a Q-Tip. Using the mineral oil will
> >> also
> >> help in removing some of the earmites. The vet clinic that I work in
> >> uses
> >> the mineral oil to gently clean the ears. Then apply 2 drops of
regular
> >> Frontline (Not Plus) into each ear. Clean out the ears every 2-3 days
> > with
> >> a dry Q-Tip and reapply 2 drops of Frontline in 3 weeks to kill the new
> >> hatch. Good luck with your babies.
> >
> > This specifically says it is to treat earmites and that it should not be
> > used if there are no ear mites present.
> >
> > I live in a small town, where options are limited, and I dont have 150$
> > but
> > 40$ cabfare to take one of the cats to the vet to get them seen to get
the
> > frontline or any other vet-only product. I called around and they wont
> > give
> > it without an appointment.
> > And if this irritates them, assumingly any will, but i dont know what
else
> > to do.
> > mineral oil works for cleansing, but it cant eliminate the mites, and
with
> > 3
> > cats, they just keep making the rounds.

---MIKE---
January 8th 06, 07:34 PM
Revolution is a topical solution which will control ear mites. If you
can't get it from your vet, go to Google then Froogle and type in
"Revolution for pets" (without the quotes) to find an on line source.
Rovolution is applied to the back of the neck - like Frontline and
Advantage.

---MIKE---