PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear the story of the gigantic Outback feral cats?

Brian Link
January 3rd 06, 04:02 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to search for this story, since I
only remember a few details.

Apparently someone shot a "big cat" in the Outback (or possibly New
Zealand), and returned with the tail, which was, iirc, 26 inches long.
They did a DNA analysis and found out it was a regular moggie, just
grown huge. There have been many sightings of these big "leopard"
cryptids, and they're beginning to suspect they're all domestic cats.
The theory was that domestic cats are breeding themselves huge in that
environment.

Anyone recall this story, and can provide any pointers? A 26" tail
would mean a pretty dang big house-cat, I'd think.

Thanks

BLink
-----
"It must be very strange to be President Bush.
A man of extraordinary vision and brilliance
approaching to genius, he can't get anyone to
notice. He is like a great painter or musician
who is ahead of his time, and who unveils one
masterpiece after another to a reception that,
when not bored, is hostile."

black-ip
January 3rd 06, 04:08 AM
Brian Link wrote:

> BLink
> -----
> "It must be very strange to be President Bush.
> A man of extraordinary vision and brilliance
> approaching to genius, he can't get anyone to
> notice. He is like a great painter or musician
> who is ahead of his time, and who unveils one
> masterpiece after another to a reception that,
> when not bored, is hostile."

do what

this makes me think too hard
it interferes with my buzz

i thought democracy was where 51 people
take away the rights of the other 49
Thomas Jefferson, sorta

mlbriggs
January 3rd 06, 05:55 AM
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:02:59 -0600, Brian Link wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out how to search for this story, since I
> only remember a few details.
>
> Apparently someone shot a "big cat" in the Outback (or possibly New
> Zealand), and returned with the tail, which was, iirc, 26 inches long.
> They did a DNA analysis and found out it was a regular moggie, just
> grown huge. There have been many sightings of these big "leopard"
> cryptids, and they're beginning to suspect they're all domestic cats.
> The theory was that domestic cats are breeding themselves huge in that
> environment.
>
> Anyone recall this story, and can provide any pointers? A 26" tail
> would mean a pretty dang big house-cat, I'd think.
>
> Thanks
>
> BLink
> -----
> "It must be very strange to be President Bush.
> A man of extraordinary vision and brilliance
> approaching to genius, he can't get anyone to
> notice. He is like a great painter or musician
> who is ahead of his time, and who unveils one
> masterpiece after another to a reception that,
> when not bored, is hostile."

I have read that angle worms in NZ are as big as snakes. Insects very
large too. I wonder what it is about NZ that makes things grow so large?
MLB

Charlie Wilkes
January 3rd 06, 08:53 AM
Brian, this sounds like more bull**** from Greater Rootardia. But if
anyone would know, it is the crowd in wa.general. They are on
intimate terms with the local wildlife... VERY intimate.

Charlie

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:02:59 -0600, Brian Link > wrote:

>I've been trying to figure out how to search for this story, since I
>only remember a few details.
>
>Apparently someone shot a "big cat" in the Outback (or possibly New
>Zealand), and returned with the tail, which was, iirc, 26 inches long.
>They did a DNA analysis and found out it was a regular moggie, just
>grown huge. There have been many sightings of these big "leopard"
>cryptids, and they're beginning to suspect they're all domestic cats.
>The theory was that domestic cats are breeding themselves huge in that
>environment.
>
>Anyone recall this story, and can provide any pointers? A 26" tail
>would mean a pretty dang big house-cat, I'd think.
>
>Thanks
>
>BLink
>-----
>"It must be very strange to be President Bush.
>A man of extraordinary vision and brilliance
>approaching to genius, he can't get anyone to
>notice. He is like a great painter or musician
>who is ahead of his time, and who unveils one
>masterpiece after another to a reception that,
>when not bored, is hostile."

Ed -
January 3rd 06, 10:33 AM
Right Charlie - Wilkes wrote in message ....
: Brian, this sounds like more bull**** from Greater Rootardia. But if
: anyone would know, it is the crowd in wa.general. They are on
: intimate terms with the local wildlife... VERY intimate.
:
: Right Charlie
:
:
: On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:02:59 -0600, Brian Link > wrote:
:
: >I've been trying to figure out how to search for this story, since I
: >only remember a few details.
: >
: >Apparently someone shot a "big cat" in the Outback (or possibly New
: >Zealand), and returned with the tail, which was, iirc, 26 inches
long.
: >They did a DNA analysis and found out it was a regular moggie, just
: >grown huge. There have been many sightings of these big "leopard"
: >cryptids, and they're beginning to suspect they're all domestic cats.
: >The theory was that domestic cats are breeding themselves huge in
that
: >environment.
: >
: >Anyone recall this story, and can provide any pointers? A 26" tail
: >would mean a pretty dang big house-cat, I'd think.
: >
maybe the big pussy has been eating GM chooks which are eating growth
hormone laced feed.

just like all those tall kids you see around nowadays

Southwest Software
January 3rd 06, 11:06 AM
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:53:39 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
> wrote:

>Brian, this sounds like more bull**** from Greater Rootardia. But if
>anyone would know, it is the crowd in wa.general. They are on
>intimate terms with the local wildlife... VERY intimate.
>
>Charlie

Hehehe better than being Very Intimate with Sheep / brother /sister /
as is said of some 'Other' states hehe

>>Apparently someone shot a "big cat" in the Outback (or possibly New
>>Zealand), and returned with the tail, which was, iirc, 26 inches long.
>>They did a DNA analysis and found out it was a regular moggie, just
>>grown huge.

I lived in Carnarvon (1000k north of Perth WA) for some time(1985) and
spent a lot of time camping around the Blowholes. I saw on 2
occassions a very big cat. Once just a glimpse and the second time
about a mile away from the first sighting and 2 months later a very
clear sighting no more than 100 meters from me. It was black with
white paws. Stood about waist height to me (Guessing over the distance
but would be close) It looked at me for about 30 seconds ... and then
shot of into the bush. I thought about going to look for prints but I
wasnt hanging around. I mentioned it too a few locals and it seems I
am not the only one who has seen it !

True story!

Dean

Southwest Software
http://www.swsoftware.com.au/shop/

Sandgroper
January 3rd 06, 11:42 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> Brian, this sounds like more bull**** from Greater Rootardia. But if
> anyone would know, it is the crowd in wa.general. They are on
> intimate terms with the local wildlife... VERY intimate.

ROFL
This comment comes from a whacko septic tank degenerate that has a rooster
as a boyfriend ?

--
------------------------------------
True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

Sandgroper
------------------------------------
Remove KNICKERS to Email

Stephen X. Carter
January 3rd 06, 12:48 PM
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:53:39 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
> wrote:

>Brian, this sounds like more bull**** from Greater Rootardia. But if
>anyone would know, it is the crowd in wa.general. They are on
>intimate terms with the local wildlife... VERY intimate.

Try:
alt.folklore.urban

The gentle folk there will be able to help you establish if it is an
Urban Legend, or truth.

--
steve.hat.stephencarter.not.com.but.net
Nothing is Beatle Proof!!

jmc
January 3rd 06, 08:49 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Brian Link exclaimed (03-Jan-06 4:02 AM):
> I've been trying to figure out how to search for this story, since I
> only remember a few details.
>
> Apparently someone shot a "big cat" in the Outback (or possibly New
> Zealand), and returned with the tail, which was, iirc, 26 inches long.
> They did a DNA analysis and found out it was a regular moggie, just
> grown huge. There have been many sightings of these big "leopard"
> cryptids, and they're beginning to suspect they're all domestic cats.
> The theory was that domestic cats are breeding themselves huge in that
> environment.
>
> Anyone recall this story, and can provide any pointers? A 26" tail
> would mean a pretty dang big house-cat, I'd think.
>
> Thanks
>
> BLink

Blink, it was a topic of conversation for a while on the rec.equestrian
newsgroup.

After a bit of googling, I found this theory (giant marsupial cat):

http://www.internetezy.com.au/~mj129/thegreatpanthermystery.html

This seems at least possible, to me - Australia is a very large, nearly
empty country and I would readily believe that there could be all kinds
of currently unknown types of animals, of all sizes.

I think I'd have give this idea more credence than that a few
generations of feral domestic cat has gotten as big as a panther.
Although...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200511/s1518331.htm

Here's some more:

http://farshores.org/abcoz18.htm

Happy reading!

jmc

jg
January 3rd 06, 10:36 PM
Yes.

Brian Link
January 4th 06, 01:23 AM
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:49:59 +0000, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, Brian Link exclaimed (03-Jan-06 4:02 AM):
>> I've been trying to figure out how to search for this story, since I
>> only remember a few details.
>>
>> Apparently someone shot a "big cat" in the Outback (or possibly New
>> Zealand), and returned with the tail, which was, iirc, 26 inches long.
>> They did a DNA analysis and found out it was a regular moggie, just
>> grown huge. There have been many sightings of these big "leopard"
>> cryptids, and they're beginning to suspect they're all domestic cats.
>> The theory was that domestic cats are breeding themselves huge in that
>> environment.
>>
>> Anyone recall this story, and can provide any pointers? A 26" tail
>> would mean a pretty dang big house-cat, I'd think.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> BLink
>
>Blink, it was a topic of conversation for a while on the rec.equestrian
>newsgroup.
>
>After a bit of googling, I found this theory (giant marsupial cat):
>
>http://www.internetezy.com.au/~mj129/thegreatpanthermystery.html
>
>This seems at least possible, to me - Australia is a very large, nearly
>empty country and I would readily believe that there could be all kinds
>of currently unknown types of animals, of all sizes.
>
>I think I'd have give this idea more credence than that a few
>generations of feral domestic cat has gotten as big as a panther.
>Although...
>
>http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200511/s1518331.htm
>
>Here's some more:
>
>http://farshores.org/abcoz18.htm
>
>Happy reading!
>
>jmc

Found it -

Thanks for the references. This particular case, I've finally
discovered, is called the "Gippsland Panther".

http://www.libertytimes.com.tw/2005/new/dec/1/today-int8.htm
http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/newposts/215/topic215442.shtm

(warning, some links contained in these articles point to a graphic
shot of the cat, post-shooting)

The original article was posted on the Victoria Herald-Sun, but that
article's disappeared behind their subscription wall.

You can also Google: "kurt engel" cat and find lots of links to
cryptozooligical websites with the story.

Nice kitty.. have another salmon...

BLink
BLink
-----
"It must be very strange to be President Bush.
A man of extraordinary vision and brilliance
approaching to genius, he can't get anyone to
notice. He is like a great painter or musician
who is ahead of his time, and who unveils one
masterpiece after another to a reception that,
when not bored, is hostile."

Ray Haddad
January 4th 06, 02:54 AM
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 22:36:35 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
and "jg" > instead replied:

>Yes.

Me too. It went like this. A gigantic Outback Feral Cat walks into a
bar . . .
--
Ray

jg
January 4th 06, 04:00 AM
"Ray Haddad" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 22:36:35 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
> and "jg" > instead replied:
>
> >Yes.
>
> Me too. It went like this. A gigantic Outback Feral Cat walks into a
> bar . . .

....with a stockman
Do you serve politicians in this hotel?
Yes, of course
Good, I'll have a beer and a politician for the tiger.

Paul Raj Khangure
January 4th 06, 09:12 AM
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:02:59 -0600, Brian Link > wrote:

> >I've been trying to figure out how to search for this story, since I
> >only remember a few details.
> >
> >Apparently someone shot a "big cat" in the Outback (or possibly New
> >Zealand), and returned with the tail, which was, iirc, 26 inches long.
> >They did a DNA analysis and found out it was a regular moggie, just
> >grown huge. There have been many sightings of these big "leopard"
> >cryptids, and they're beginning to suspect they're all domestic cats.
> >The theory was that domestic cats are breeding themselves huge in that
> >environment.

<http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:F2SNVi5R2b4J:www.heraldsun.news.com .au/printpage/0,5481,17374294,00.html>

Or google "cat gippsland DNA" and look for the cached Herald Sun
article.

prk.

Southwest Software
January 4th 06, 09:34 PM
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:54:40 +0800, Ray Haddad
> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 22:36:35 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
>and "jg" > instead replied:
>
>>Yes.
>
>Me too. It went like this. A gigantic Outback Feral Cat walks into a
>bar . . .

and the bartender says ...ouch thats gotta hurt ! Ba-boom tish