PDA

View Full Version : Gingivitis - Important info to share

January 3rd 06, 03:15 PM
I posted a while back about my newly adopted cat Freckles, who is 3.
When we first brought him to the vet, he noted severe gingivitis and
suggested a dental cleaning. I wanted him to settle into our home
first. So, after 3 weeks I brought him in (last week). The unusual
thing is that he had TERRIBLE breath (worse than your average tuna
breath) and he also had started sneezing, several times an hour.
Sometimes he would sneeze 8 times in a row. I told the vet to check
that out too.

Well, the dental cleaning went well, but he had to have 4 teeth
removed. Also, the vet said his teeth were all loose, and he hoped to
save them by giving him antibiotics for 6 weeks. Luckily, Freckles
came home and was just fine. He ate soft food for 2 days and is now on
dry again. Interestingly, his sneezing has totally stopped! My guess
is it was all related to the bacteria in his mouth. SO, I just wanted
everyone to know that bad dental hygiene in cats can really lead to
other problems. PS- his breath is so much better too!

Beth

chas
January 3rd 06, 08:24 PM
Glad to hear he's better.

chas

chas
January 3rd 06, 08:24 PM
Glad to hear he's better.

chas

Phil P.
January 4th 06, 07:23 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
> > SO, I just wanted
> > everyone to know that bad dental hygiene in cats can really lead to
> > other problems. PS- his breath is so much better too!
>
> Gingivitis is an infection that can get into the heart in humans, so I
> assume it's not good for cats, either.

Excellent point.

Dental disease not only causes a cat's teeth to look and smell bad-- the
damage that isn't seen is far worse. The gum tissues have an extensive blood
supply, and all the bacteria involved in periodontal infections easily enter
the blood stream and can lead to valvular heart disease, kidney disease,
hepatitis and joint disease- and cause infections just about anywhere else
blood circulates-- not to mention the constant pain from tooth loss.

Phil