PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles flew the coop!

RobZip
January 3rd 06, 09:26 PM
Our latest household addition, Bubbles, seems to prefer rejoining the great
outdoors. Bubbles is about 8 months old and was one of 4 kittens born to a
semi-feral mom under our home. As the months went by, he more than the
others seemed interested in what went on in the house. Bubbles would often
sit on our top step and peer in the through the storm door watching with
interest what was going on. Of course my 4 indoor cats would venture to the
door, often going nose to nose with him through the glass.

A few months ago Bubbles decided he wanted to try life inside. His aloof,
semi-spooked outdoor demeanor quickly gave way to a very charming little
attention driven creature who loved to sit on laps, lick fingers, nuzzle
chins, and sleep with whoever was willing to have him. I told my wife to get
him neutered in December before we started having spraying problems with
him. For whatever reason she hadn't gotten to it yet. Over the past 2 weeks
Bubbles would be seen testing his dominance against my two neutered toms,
Spot and Nacho. Spot has been king of the hill and surprisingly was rather
tolerant of the kitten's displays. Bubbles also started strolling around the
house calling loudly at various early morning hours. I reiterated to the
wife the need to get him neutered - *now*.

When his brother or sister would perch on the step he would show little
interest in them. Once his brother Spook actually came inside and Bubbles
ran him off with hissing and growling. He seemed to have little interest in
being around them and certainly objected to them coming inside

Yesterday our weather was warmer than it had been for a few weeks. Bubbles
slipped past my wife and headed outside-something he has had no interest in
since being indoors. She quickly coaxed him back in. A short while later he
got out again slipping past my son. He came back by a few times yesterday
evening and sat looking in the door like he always did when he was a full
time outdoor animal.

Opening the door to invite him in only caused him to move just out of range.
At this point 24 hours later he seems to have rejoined the pack outside. He
showed up at daylight today with the others for morning chow. My morning
herd usually runs from 3 to 6 or 7 cats. He took a few quick bites and
scampered off out of range when I called him. I guess he has a preference
for the outdoors. Since I can't have him freely traveling back and forth due
to fleas it would seem his adventure has cast him back among his siblings.

Have any of you ever had a cat that adapted so well to indoor life but
suddenly chucked it all to be among old friends outside? Our worst winter
weather is yet to come and I wonder if he'll change his mind once the
serious 0 degree temps hit.

Wendy
January 3rd 06, 09:33 PM
"RobZip" > wrote in message
> [...]
> time outdoor animal.
>
> Opening the door to invite him in only caused him to move just out of
> range.
> At this point 24 hours later he seems to have rejoined the pack outside.
> He
> showed up at daylight today with the others for morning chow. My morning
> herd usually runs from 3 to 6 or 7 cats. He took a few quick bites and
> scampered off out of range when I called him. I guess he has a preference
> for the outdoors. Since I can't have him freely traveling back and forth
> due
> to fleas it would seem his adventure has cast him back among his siblings.
>
> Have any of you ever had a cat that adapted so well to indoor life but
> suddenly chucked it all to be among old friends outside? Our worst winter
> weather is yet to come and I wonder if he'll change his mind once the

Bubbles apparently became sexually mature and decided the outside life with
un-spayed females was appealing. Now he's free to mate with his sisters - oh
joy! Have you considered trapping him and getting him neutered. His
wanderlust might wane if he didn't have the hormones urging him on.

mlbriggs
January 3rd 06, 09:46 PM
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:26:17 +0000, RobZip wrote:

> Our latest household addition, Bubbles, seems to prefer rejoining the great
> outdoors. Bubbles is about 8 months old and was one of 4 kittens born to a
> semi-feral mom under our home. As the months went by, he more than the
> others seemed interested in what went on in the house. Bubbles would often
> sit on our top step and peer in the through the storm door watching with
> interest what was going on. Of course my 4 indoor cats would venture to the
> door, often going nose to nose with him through the glass.
>
> A few months ago Bubbles decided he wanted to try life inside. His aloof,
> semi-spooked outdoor demeanor quickly gave way to a very charming little
> attention driven creature who loved to sit on laps, lick fingers, nuzzle
> chins, and sleep with whoever was willing to have him. I told my wife to get
> him neutered in December before we started having spraying problems with
> him. For whatever reason she hadn't gotten to it yet. Over the past 2 weeks
> Bubbles would be seen testing his dominance against my two neutered toms,
> Spot and Nacho. Spot has been king of the hill and surprisingly was rather
> tolerant of the kitten's displays. Bubbles also started strolling around the
> house calling loudly at various early morning hours. I reiterated to the
> wife the need to get him neutered - *now*.
>
> When his brother or sister would perch on the step he would show little
> interest in them. Once his brother Spook actually came inside and Bubbles
> ran him off with hissing and growling. He seemed to have little interest in
> being around them and certainly objected to them coming inside
>
> Yesterday our weather was warmer than it had been for a few weeks. Bubbles
> slipped past my wife and headed outside-something he has had no interest in
> since being indoors. She quickly coaxed him back in. A short while later he
> got out again slipping past my son. He came back by a few times yesterday
> evening and sat looking in the door like he always did when he was a full
> time outdoor animal.
>
> Opening the door to invite him in only caused him to move just out of range.
> At this point 24 hours later he seems to have rejoined the pack outside. He
> showed up at daylight today with the others for morning chow. My morning
> herd usually runs from 3 to 6 or 7 cats. He took a few quick bites and
> scampered off out of range when I called him. I guess he has a preference
> for the outdoors. Since I can't have him freely traveling back and forth due
> to fleas it would seem his adventure has cast him back among his siblings.
>
> Have any of you ever had a cat that adapted so well to indoor life but
> suddenly chucked it all to be among old friends outside? Our worst winter
> weather is yet to come and I wonder if he'll change his mind once the
> serious 0 degree temps hit.

When you said "NOW" to your wife, did she tell YOU to do it? MLB

RobZip
January 3rd 06, 11:48 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:26:17 +0000, RobZip wrote:
>
> When you said "NOW" to your wife, did she tell YOU to do it? MLB

The agreement was that if she wanted to take the little guy in that she
would assume responsibility for getting the neutering and other vet
neccessities taken care of. I've done all this for our other 4 cats
including force feeding Spot to nurse him back from a respiratory infection
that killed two of his siblings. I was not really in favor of adding any
more to our household but if this little guy charmed her in an irresistable
way, I could certainly understand. However, she did agree to the terms and
I'm not going to let it be pushed off on me this time. My work schedule
simply won't allow for it. If she can make arrangements for the surgery to
be done on a Friday, I could pick him up and be with him all day on Sat. and
Sun to monitor his recuperation. Considering all we have to deal with day
to day, I feel that's a pretty fair split of the responsibility.

2 fingers
January 4th 06, 12:14 AM
only going by the title
you should

beat the hell out of cat next itme you get chance

let action show proof ofwho is favorited pussy
big du,mbmass poosy whooped

Rhonda
January 4th 06, 01:53 AM
There may be cats in heat and he is now sexually mature. He's going to
claw his way past anything to get outside.

If you want the nice, inside cat again, he has to be neutered (no matter
who puts him in the car and takes him to the vet.) Right no you're on
the way to having a scraggly outdoor tom cat that is going to live a
much shorter life.

Rhonda

RobZip wrote:

> Our latest household addition, Bubbles, seems to prefer rejoining the great
> outdoors. Bubbles is about 8 months old and was one of 4 kittens born to a
> semi-feral mom under our home. As the months went by, he more than the
> others seemed interested in what went on in the house. Bubbles would often
> sit on our top step and peer in the through the storm door watching with
> interest what was going on. Of course my 4 indoor cats would venture to the
> door, often going nose to nose with him through the glass.
>
> A few months ago Bubbles decided he wanted to try life inside. His aloof,
> semi-spooked outdoor demeanor quickly gave way to a very charming little
> attention driven creature who loved to sit on laps, lick fingers, nuzzle
> chins, and sleep with whoever was willing to have him. I told my wife to get
> him neutered in December before we started having spraying problems with
> him. For whatever reason she hadn't gotten to it yet. Over the past 2 weeks
> Bubbles would be seen testing his dominance against my two neutered toms,
> Spot and Nacho. Spot has been king of the hill and surprisingly was rather
> tolerant of the kitten's displays. Bubbles also started strolling around the
> house calling loudly at various early morning hours. I reiterated to the
> wife the need to get him neutered - *now*.
>
> When his brother or sister would perch on the step he would show little
> interest in them. Once his brother Spook actually came inside and Bubbles
> ran him off with hissing and growling. He seemed to have little interest in
> being around them and certainly objected to them coming inside
>
> Yesterday our weather was warmer than it had been for a few weeks. Bubbles
> slipped past my wife and headed outside-something he has had no interest in
> since being indoors. She quickly coaxed him back in. A short while later he
> got out again slipping past my son. He came back by a few times yesterday
> evening and sat looking in the door like he always did when he was a full
> time outdoor animal.
>
> Opening the door to invite him in only caused him to move just out of range.
> At this point 24 hours later he seems to have rejoined the pack outside. He
> showed up at daylight today with the others for morning chow. My morning
> herd usually runs from 3 to 6 or 7 cats. He took a few quick bites and
> scampered off out of range when I called him. I guess he has a preference
> for the outdoors. Since I can't have him freely traveling back and forth due
> to fleas it would seem his adventure has cast him back among his siblings.
>
> Have any of you ever had a cat that adapted so well to indoor life but
> suddenly chucked it all to be among old friends outside? Our worst winter
> weather is yet to come and I wonder if he'll change his mind once the
> serious 0 degree temps hit.

RobZip
January 4th 06, 10:07 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> There may be cats in heat and he is now sexually mature. He's going to
> claw his way past anything to get outside.
>
> If you want the nice, inside cat again, he has to be neutered (no matter
> who puts him in the car and takes him to the vet.) Right no you're on
> the way to having a scraggly outdoor tom cat that is going to live a
> much shorter life.
>
> Rhonda

Oh fer sure... I've told her that no way is he going to be a comapatible
peer for the others inside until he's neutered. I'm really surprised and
relieved that he didn't start spraying indoors yet. He was out most of last
night and all day today so far - romping around with his brother and getting
into various kitten mischief around the neighborhood. For the space and
resources we have available our current 4 cats is all we should have. I'm
sorry to say but this little guy being here - especially in his unneutered
state - has upset the balance and harmony somewhat.

My work day starts in the evening and usually I'm out for about 14 hours.
This leaves me precious little time to do much but sleep during the day. I
usually feed the whole outdoor tribe when I get home in the morning and
again in the evening. They have several warm spaces in the area to go to.
Some of them are just adorable but I know my limit. I can only do what I can
for the others.

I'm going to repeat what I've already stated. I feel our limit for indoor
animals has been reached and am opposewd to adding more. If the wife finds
this little guy so charming that she can't resist having him, then she will
have to take care of all the details to prepare him for life indoors. I've
had numerous things like this loosely agreed to by her concerning the other
cats that ultimately got pushed off on me. This time I insisted on a firm
understanding and my dear wife is unfortunately doing it again - hoping that
my head is as soft as her heart.