PDA

View Full Version : cat mouth/tooth problem?

January 4th 06, 01:15 AM
One of my cats has for the last 2-3 days been making strange
mouth/tongue motions, sometimes today even pawing at it, yet she
doesn't seem to be in any pain or real agony, and is eating and doing
everything else normally. I imagine it's probably a loose tooth which
from what I have seen and heard about in the past is usually something
that will just fall out soon and be done with. But I'm wondering if it
could be something else and if so what. I've tried to look in her mouth
but she's really squigly. From what little I've seen for a fleeting
moment or two I have not seen anything unusual.

NMR
January 4th 06, 01:34 AM
VET TIME
If she is pawing at it something might be stuck in the gum. The tooth might
be infected or abscessed. Cats don't loose teeth like us all the time some
times the tooth is pushed back up in to the gum or swallowed.
You need to take her to the vet it just might be a discomfort right now cats
a re notorious for hiding things. And if she is being real squiggly when
you try to examine the mouth there is pain just not enough yet to have the
cat squall or bite

part of Phil's mini exam

Mouth and Nose
With your cat facing you, push back the lips to examine the gums and teeth.
The gums should be pink, not white or red, and should show no signs of
swelling. The teeth should be clean, without any brownish tartar. Sniff your
cat's breath; while a cat's breath is never pleasant, a strong, fetid odor
is
abnormal and may indicate a problem. Excessive drooling can also be a sign
of oral disease. Unless it is normally colored or marked with color, the
nose
should be pink, and there should be no nasal discharge.

oups.com...