PDA

View Full Version : Diamond-brand pet food recall

Rhonda
January 4th 06, 01:58 AM
Dog and cat foods recalled, containing high levels of aflatoxin. -Rhonda

http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/index.php

2 fingers
January 4th 06, 02:33 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> Dog and cat foods recalled, containing high levels of aflatoxin. -Rhonda
>
> http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/index.p

does anyone buy this? (I've never so much as heard of it)

Thank You Rhonda, what is aflatoxin

flat toxins...i have no clue..

what is this...can i catch this?

im confused

John Doe
January 4th 06, 02:48 AM
Rhonda > wrote:

> Dog and cat foods recalled, containing high levels of aflatoxin.
> -Rhonda
>
> http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/index.php

Thanks for the heads-up.

This is the first and probably only time I'll say that, it just
strikes me as another good use for this group.

2 fingers
January 4th 06, 05:11 AM
John Doe wrote:

> Thanks for the heads-up.
>
> This is the first and probably only time I'll say that, it just
> strikes me as another good use for this group.

say shallow muther****er with me

use use use

how bout putting something useful on the table you taker man troll boy!

Steve Crane
January 5th 06, 01:28 PM
2 fingers wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
> > Dog and cat foods recalled, containing high levels of aflatoxin. -Rhonda
> >
> > http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/index.p
>
> does anyone buy this? (I've never so much as heard of it)
>
> Thank You Rhonda, what is aflatoxin
>
> flat toxins...i have no clue..
>
> what is this...can i catch this?

No you can't "catch it", but you can be affected - see below.

PROPERTIES OF AFLATOXIN AND IT PRODUCING FUNGI
Reddy,S.V. and Farid Waliyar

Many agricultural commodities are vulnerable to attack by a group of
fungi that are able to produce toxic metabolites called mycotoxins.
Among various mycotoxins, aflatoxins have assumed significance due to
their deleterious effects on human beings, poultry and livestock. The
aflatoxin problem was first recognized in 1960, when there was severe
outbreak of a disease referred as "Turkey 'X' Disease" in UK, in which
over 100,000 turkey poults died. The cause of the disease was shown due
to toxins in peanut meal infected with Aspergillus flavus and the
toxins were named as aflatoxins.

Natural occurrence:

Food products contaminated with aflatoxins include cereal (maize,
sorghum, pearl millet, rice, wheat), oilseeds (groundnut, soybean,
sunflower, cotton), spices (chillies, black pepper, coriander,
turmeric, ginger), tree nuts (almonds, pistachio, walnuts, coconut) and
milk.
http://www.aflatoxin.info/aflatoxin.asp

Aflatoxin is a known issue, it's been a problem for decades and it is
NOT restricted to corn. It can occur in rice, wheat, sorghum, oilseeds
(groundnut, soybean, sunflower, cotton), spices (chillies, black
pepper, coriander, turmeric, zinger), tree nuts (almonds, pistachio,
walnuts, coconut) and milk.

Aflatoxin is also not the only similar mold and fungus born toxin.
Vomitoxin is another similar problem which struck Nature's Recipe in
the late 90's. It is also possible that Pet Curean's Go! Natural was
similarly contaminated early last year and caused the deaths of several
dogs in the San Francisco Bay area. Neither of these products
contained corn. Purina in Venezuela and Mars/Royal Canin/Masterfoods in
Malaysia also apparently got caught with a grain based toxin in this
past year.

The problem is really very simple to control, and most major pet food
companies control it with ease. It simply requires that incoming lots
of grains be tested for the presence of the toxin. I would expect that
all the major manufacturers in this country routinely require vendors
provide testing results of all such incoming raw ingredients and then
spot check the vendors submitted testing results to keep the vendors on
thier toes. The same holds true of all raw ingredients. Every raw
ingredient has the capacity to have some kind of contamination problem.
When we look at fish - we have to be thinking - and testing for heavy
metals, mercury, PCB's etc. When we deal with grains we have to be
testing for molds and thier toxins. This should be a routine activity
for every pet food company. The process is expensive however. Vendors
pass on the costs of such testing to the manufacturer and the
manufacturer has costs in running their own tests to verify the
vendors.

Mike S.
January 6th 06, 05:29 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> Dog and cat foods recalled, containing high levels of aflatoxin. -Rhonda
>
> http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/index.php

Well I guess I won't be buying their food ever again. The vet had
recommended it a few years ago but I had been using it already. Last
spring (2005), I noticed that a bag of the Costco Kirkland cat food
(made by Diamond Pet Food) smelled like sewage and none of the cats
would touch it. I called Diamond to get a refund and a few weeks later
they called to ask for a sample of the food, another cat owner had made
the same complaint as I did. I never found out what was wrong with the
food but I stopped using it after that. I was considering going back to
it but if they're going to have problems like this every year it really
makes me wonder about them.