PDA

View Full Version : 2 very aggressive cats pleae help.

luvbrat8282
January 4th 06, 07:50 AM
i have two cats that are very aggressive. the first one is a little orange
cat she's just a little over a year old... one sec she is the best thing
that's i've ever found and then for no reason shes nothing but a little devil!
she'll be sitting on my lap purring and loving and then if i even as much as
look at her the wrong way she starts hissing and trying to swing at me.
everytime i pick her up she starts growling and hissing and tries to scratch
me. i don't know what to do. i've tried just about everything aside from
beating her!!! which sometimes i feel like i should.!!! j/k maybe i should
add that i fond her on the side of the road with all of her bros and sisses
and all of them were very wild. i've had her for over a year and the only
signs that i'm getting out of her is that she's getting worse! please help i
love this cat with all of my heart and don't want to get rid of her. she also
seems to have this problem with kissing noises. if she even hears them she
freaks out for no reason. i've tried the whold squirt bottle thing and that
doens't work... i've even tried the hissing back thing and all that seems to
do is make it worse. PLEASE HELP.

the other cat that i have is a new member of the family. he is over 2 years
old now and has a total attitude problem. we can't even touch this one. we
have him a really big cage and when you approach him he hissing and stricks
at us... we've never even held him. we believe that the woman that gave him
to us may have hurt him at some point but can't prove it. so long as we don't
touch him (skin to fur) or our case leather gloves to fur he attacks right
away. but throgh the screen he rubs up against it and seems like he wants to
be loved. i've looked up some cat dieases but none of them even come close to
what these cats are... they just have a major attitue problem. if anyone can
please help please feel free to give me input. you can reach me at
please i bed of anyone PLEASE HELP>>>>> my cats are a
huge part of my life and it would kill me to have to get ris pf either one!!!
please someone, anyone help

angie

January 4th 06, 09:30 AM
There are techniques for dealing with aggressive cats, but you have to
be patient and consistent. I know that you want to have a loving pet
(don't we all?), but sometimes you have to wait for them to come to you
and want the affection. Firstly, stop trying to pick them up (unless
you have to for vet or some such thing). They just aren't ready. For a
cat that solicits affection and then bats or hisses (which sounds like
the orange one), what you want to do is be very stinting with the
affection. If she solicits a pet, give her one or two, then take a
break, wait a while, and see if she wants any more. This way you avoid
over stimulating her or giving her more than she can handle, and it
will be easier for her to control herself. If she is nice with you,
give her a treat and a hearty "good kitty". If she bats, hisses or
scratches, say "ow", look distressed, and remove yourself away from
her. In this way, you incentivize her to avoid behavior that makes you
go away. The key is to dish out affection in little manageable
teaspoons that she can handle without feeling overwhelmed and
over-excited. Play with a wand toy can also be
a good way to interact while being out of range. The key is to be
consistent so that good behavior gets her rewards and bad behavior
results in not getting rewarded. If you observe her, you may find some
characteristics that will tell you that she is stimulated, some common
ones are flattening of the ears, widening of the eyes, or swishing of
the tail, and those can help you to see when she needs a break.

For the cat in a cage, try sitting in the room he is in, away from
striking range and singing or talking to him without directly
interacting. That way he can watch you without feeling threatened. Do
this for a period of time every day for two weeks without in any way
approaching him, except to deliver food and clean his box. Then start
to quietly sit closer to the cage, still singing or humming or
chit-chatting, and see if you can be there without him striking out at
you. If so, try using a wand toy to interact with him inside his cage.
If you can get him playing with the toy without feeling threatened by
your prescence, then you are halfway home. The next step would involve
opening the door to the cage while you sit outside blocking the exit
and talking and singing some more. Then try confining him to a room
with a hiding space and go through the same ritual for a while. They
key is get him used to your prescence without having to interact with
you directly so he can stop feeling threatened by you. In time
(probably lots of it), he will start to see you as safe and it will
occur to him to approach you. When he does, be very calm (as he will
be nervous and excited), move very slowly and deliberately and let him
show you the pace at which he would like to go. It's better to leave
them wanting more affection and play than to overwhelm them and end up
with aggressive behavior.

If you do this consistently, then you should have a very different pair
of cats a year from now.

Good luck!

Alison
January 4th 06, 08:12 PM
"luvbrat8282" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> i have two cats that are very aggressive. the first one is a little
orange
> cat she's just a little over a year old... one sec she is the best
thing
> that's i've ever found and then for no reason shes nothing but a
little devil!
> she'll be sitting on my lap purring and loving and then if i even as
much as
> look at her the wrong way she starts hissing and trying to swing at
me.
> everytime i pick her up she starts growling and hissing and tries to
scratch
> me. i don't know what to do. i've tried just about everything aside
from
> beating her!!! which sometimes i feel like i should.!!! j/k maybe i
should
> add that i fond her on the side of the road with all of her bros and
sisses
> and all of them were very wild. i've had her for over a year and the
only
> signs that i'm getting out of her is that she's getting worse!
please help i
> love this cat with all of my heart and don't want to get rid of her.
she also
> seems to have this problem with kissing noises. if she even hears
them she
> freaks out for no reason. i've tried the whold squirt bottle thing
and that
> doens't work... i've even tried the hissing back thing and all that
seems to
> do is make it worse. PLEASE HELP.>>.

It's *very* important you stop hissing at her and sqirting her with
water, this will
only encourage her to be more aggressive.
You can improve her behaviour but you will have to accept that as she
was likely
a feral cat she will always need careful handling. Lots of pet cats
do not like being picked up and over petted. They prefer the affection
to be on their terms , my own cat is like this.
Some cats get over stimulated when you stroke them , you need to be
alert for the subtle signs such as they pupils changing size and the
slight swishing of the tail and stop petting.
Dont keep picking her up. If you do have to keep it short.

> the other cat that i have is a new member of the family. he is over
2 years
> old now and has a total attitude problem. we can't even touch this
one. we
> have him a really big cage and when you approach him he hissing and
stricks
> at us... we've never even held him. we believe that the woman that
gave him
> to us may have hurt him at some point but can't prove it. so long as
we don't
> touch him (skin to fur) or our case leather gloves to fur he attacks
right
> away. but throgh the screen he rubs up against it and seems like he
wants to
> be loved. i've looked up some cat dieases but none of them even come
close to
> what these cats are... they just have a major attitue problem. if
anyone can
> please help please feel free to give me input. you can reach me at
>> angie>>

Why is he kept in a cage? Cats attack when they feel trapped and
have no where to hide. He would be better off in a spare room on his
own where he can approach you in his own time.
Alison

luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com
January 5th 06, 12:09 AM
Poobah wrote:
>> i have two cats that are very aggressive. the first one is a little
>> orange cat she's just a little over a year old... one sec she is the
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>> thing and that doens't work... i've even tried the hissing back thing
>> and all that seems to do is make it worse. PLEASE HELP.
>
>Jesus Christ, don't PUNISH the cat for being half wild! Let her be,
>she'll get accustomed to you, and if you're thinking of getting rid of
>her simply because she won't let you pet her whenever you feel like it
>then you should get a stuffed cat. They're living, free-willed
>creatures, not accessories for your sole pleasure.
>
>poobah

i have never punished her for being mean i've just tried to get her to stop
attacking me... i very aware of te fact that they are not here for
"accessories for your sole pleasure" and that they are free-willed animals...
we have 6 other perfectly fine and loving cats that do as they please... i've
just never had a cat that has stayed aggressive for so long. I've had
aggressive cats before but after a couple weeks they are just fine i've had
my orange cat for over a year now and she's still like this. now i'm sorry of
i wrote something that offened you but i did not mean to. my cats are my
world they rule my house and do what they want really when they want to...
(with some exceptions) IE: attacking people! and as far a squrting them this
is used even by Vets! it's a way of telling them that they aren't supposed to
be doing what theyre doing with out hurting ot scaring them! they just don't
like it! and for a hissing it's a way of showing them that you aren't afaid
of them and that youre the boss! but anyway thanks for responding and i have
a good year!!!!

ANGIE

January 5th 06, 12:14 AM
"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Poobah wrote:
> >> i have two cats that are very aggressive. the first one is a little
> >> orange cat she's just a little over a year old... one sec she is the
> >[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
> >> thing and that doens't work... i've even tried the hissing back thing
> >> and all that seems to do is make it worse. PLEASE HELP.
> >
> >Jesus Christ, don't PUNISH the cat for being half wild! Let her be,
> >she'll get accustomed to you, and if you're thinking of getting rid of
> >her simply because she won't let you pet her whenever you feel like it
> >then you should get a stuffed cat. They're living, free-willed
> >creatures, not accessories for your sole pleasure.
> >
> >poobah
>
> i have never punished her for being mean i've just tried to get her to
stop
> attacking me... i very aware of te fact that they are not here for
> "accessories for your sole pleasure" and that they are free-willed
animals...
> we have 6 other perfectly fine and loving cats that do as they please...
i've
> just never had a cat that has stayed aggressive for so long. I've had
> aggressive cats before but after a couple weeks they are just fine i've
had
> my orange cat for over a year now and she's still like this. now i'm sorry
of
> i wrote something that offened you but i did not mean to. my cats are my
> world they rule my house and do what they want really when they want to...
> (with some exceptions) IE: attacking people! and as far a squrting them
this
> is used even by Vets! it's a way of telling them that they aren't supposed
> be doing what theyre doing with out hurting ot scaring them! they just
don't
> like it! and for a hissing it's a way of showing them that you aren't
afaid
> of them and that youre the boss! but anyway thanks for responding and i
have
> a good year!!!!
>
> ANGIE

Why is it that the people posting from CatKB almost always sound like
they are developmentally disabled?

Anybody else notice that?

NMR
January 5th 06, 12:45 AM
Are the cats all neutered, the vaccinations and boosters up to date?

Are the cats in questions showing any other strange behavior such as
urinating outside the box?

Ok how did you introduce them to the other cats? I going to bet that you
just put them together. If you did not let them get used to one another on
their terms some of the conditions you described are going to happen due to
dominant behavior specially with 7 other cats in the house.

Why were any of the other cats aggressive when you first go them?

A cat might calm down to a human but may maintain the aggressive behavior
towards other cats. Are any of the other cats fighting?

Is their stress in the house such as moving furniture etc beside a new
addition in the cage?

What is the cat in the cage for is there no other place to keep him in an
environment that he can feel safe. Do the other cats have access to the
area where the cage is kept. This bad behavior can be standard reaction to
a stressful environment.

How much room do you have. You have eight cats one in a cage that means
they need a lot of room

The cat in the cage if you believe that the woman hurt the cat consider
this cat to act like a feral cat so treat him so.
Stop trying to touch him and if you have to use gloves stop using leather
gloves( the smell and feel is obviously a problem with the cat) go to a
local pet store and pick up a pair of cat handlers gloves about $14 best one
are the Kevlar. This cat is going to need to be in a stress free
environment and definitely out of that cage. The cat will let you know
when he is ready to be your cat.
You have a long road ahead of you with a vet and a behaviorist I can see
will be in the future of this cat if this continues.

The hissing thing well it works and it doesn't work both side of the
argument can be stated but will cause a flame war that I am not interested
in dealing with. If the person doing it backs down from the cat in the
dominance issue the cat wins. If the person try's to establish dominance
over an cat all they get is a cat scared of them. See how either side of
the debate can start a problem.

Start reading on Phil's site
http://www.maxshouse.com/behavior__training_IDX.htm

IMO I am going to say there is alot more going on then wrote about. It
almost sounds like you have more than you can handle or need some outside
help to step in and definitely help with the cats. And that is not accusing
you of anything just an observation from your post and response

luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com
January 6th 06, 05:50 PM
Iím sorry... was that directed at me or someone else?

cybercat wrote:
>[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]
>>
>> ANGIE
>
>Why is it that the people posting from CatKB almost always sound like
>they are developmentally disabled?
>
>Anybody else notice that?

January 6th 06, 06:04 PM
"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm sorry... was that directed at me or someone else?

I notice you found your "shift" key. Excellent.

> >[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]
> >>
> >> ANGIE
> >
> >Why is it that the people posting from CatKB almost always sound like
> >they are developmentally disabled?
> >
> >Anybody else notice that?

luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com
January 6th 06, 06:11 PM
ok to make answering all of your questions and not missing any i've copied
and pasted your post and i'll put answers beside your questions in CAPS. I
have erased all non question to make this post a little shorter. and thank
you so much for your input! =)

Are the cats all neutered, the vaccinations and boosters up to date? YES ALL
OF THEM ARE FIXED AND UP TO DATE.

Are the cats in questions showing any other strange behavior such as
urinating outside the box? NO, NONE OF THEM ARE.

Ok how did you introduce them to the other cats? I going to bet that you
just put them together. If you did not let them get used to one another on
their terms some of the conditions you described are going to happen due to
dominant behavior specially with 7 other cats in the house. OF COURSE WE DID
NOT FORCE THEM ONTO EACH OTHER. WE LET THEM GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER ON THEIR
OWN TERMS. WE RESCUE CATS AND WE HAVE WORKED WITH ALOT OF THEM. I'VE EVEN
TAKEN A CLASS TO LEARN THE PROPER TECHNIQUES TO TAKE CARE OF THEM (THE CLASS
NEVER TOUCHED BASE OF AGGRESSION) HENCE WHY I AM HERE ASKING MY QUESTION.

Why were any of the other cats aggressive when you first go them? NO NOT ALL
OF THEM. A FEW HAVE BEEN BUT CALMED DOWN AFTER GETTING USE TO US.

A cat might calm down to a human but may maintain the aggressive behavior
towards other cats. Are any of the other cats fighting? THE ONLY CAT THAT IS
EVEN SLIGHTLY AGGRESSIVE TO ANY OTHER CAT IS MY LITTLE ORANGE ONE. WE HAVEN'T
INTRODUCED THE NEWEST ONE TO ANY OF THE CATS YET. HE'S NEVER HAD TO LIVE WITH
OTHER CATS SO WE HAVE HIM IN OUR COMPUTER ROOM BY HIMSELF (WITH NO OTHER CATS)
AND WE GO SPEND TIME WITH HIM EVERYDAY. AS A MATTER OF FACT HE IS WITH ME
RIGHT NOW.

Is their stress in the house such as moving furniture etc beside a new
addition in the cage? NOT AT THIS TIME.

What is the cat in the cage for is there no other place to keep him in an
environment that he can feel safe. Do the other cats have access to the
area where the cage is kept. This bad behavior can be standard reaction to
a stressful environment. SEE ANSWER TO QUESTION ABOVE.

How much room do you have. You have eight cats one in a cage that means
they need a lot of room. THEY HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM. 4 OF THE CATS ARE INDOOR-
OUTDOOR CATS AND COME IN AND OUT AS THEY PLEASE.

The hissing thing well it works and it doesn't work both side of the
argument can be stated but will cause a flame war that I am not interested
in dealing with. If the person doing it backs down from the cat in the
dominance issue the cat wins. If the person try's to establish dominance
over an cat all they get is a cat scared of them. See how either side of
the debate can start a problem. I ONLY TRIED THIS TECHNIQUE A FEW TIMES, SAW
THAT IT DIDN'T WORK AND HAVE NOT DONE IT SINCE. IT WAS JUST SOMETHING I READ
ON ONE OF THE MANY WEB SITES I'VE GONE ON TO REGUARDING AGGRESSIVE CATS.

IMO I am going to say there is alot more going on then wrote about. It
almost sounds like you have more than you can handle or need some outside
help to step in and definitely help with the cats. And that is not accusing
you of anything just an observation from your post and response. THERE ARE 4
OF US HERE IN MY HOUSE INCLUDING MYSELF. THERES MY MOTHER, FATHER, AND
BROTHER. WE EACH HAVE 2 CATS EACH TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL CATS GET THE SAME
AMOUNT OF LOVING AND CARE. THE ORANGE CAT IS MINE AND THE ONE THAT WAS CAGED
IS MY MOTHERS. SO I DO HAVE PLENTY OF HELP.

THANKS AGAIN,
ANGIE

NMR wrote:
>Are the cats all neutered, the vaccinations and boosters up to date?
>
>Are the cats in questions showing any other strange behavior such as
>urinating outside the box?
>
>Ok how did you introduce them to the other cats? I going to bet that you
>just put them together. If you did not let them get used to one another on
>their terms some of the conditions you described are going to happen due to
>dominant behavior specially with 7 other cats in the house.
>
>Why were any of the other cats aggressive when you first go them?
>
>A cat might calm down to a human but may maintain the aggressive behavior
>towards other cats. Are any of the other cats fighting?
>
>Is their stress in the house such as moving furniture etc beside a new
>addition in the cage?
>
>What is the cat in the cage for is there no other place to keep him in an
>environment that he can feel safe. Do the other cats have access to the
>area where the cage is kept. This bad behavior can be standard reaction to
>a stressful environment.
>
>How much room do you have. You have eight cats one in a cage that means
>they need a lot of room
>
>The cat in the cage if you believe that the woman hurt the cat consider
>this cat to act like a feral cat so treat him so.
>Stop trying to touch him and if you have to use gloves stop using leather
>gloves( the smell and feel is obviously a problem with the cat) go to a
>local pet store and pick up a pair of cat handlers gloves about $14 best one
>are the Kevlar. This cat is going to need to be in a stress free
>environment and definitely out of that cage. The cat will let you know
>when he is ready to be your cat.
>You have a long road ahead of you with a vet and a behaviorist I can see
>will be in the future of this cat if this continues.
>
>The hissing thing well it works and it doesn't work both side of the
>argument can be stated but will cause a flame war that I am not interested
>in dealing with. If the person doing it backs down from the cat in the
>dominance issue the cat wins. If the person try's to establish dominance
>over an cat all they get is a cat scared of them. See how either side of
>the debate can start a problem.
>
>Start reading on Phil's site
>http://www.maxshouse.com/behavior__training_IDX.htm
>
>IMO I am going to say there is alot more going on then wrote about. It
>almost sounds like you have more than you can handle or need some outside
>help to step in and definitely help with the cats. And that is not accusing
>you of anything just an observation from your post and response

January 6th 06, 06:20 PM
"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote

>YES ALL
> OF THEM ARE FIXED AND UP TO DATE.

lol

Found your caps lock too, I see!

cybercat
January 6th 06, 06:24 PM
"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> ok to make answering all of your questions and not missing any i've copied
> and pasted your post and i'll put answers beside your questions in CAPS. I
> have erased all non question to make this post a little shorter. and thank
> you so much for your input! =)
>
> Are the cats all neutered, the vaccinations and boosters up to date? YES
ALL
> OF THEM ARE FIXED AND UP TO DATE.
>
> Are the cats in questions showing any other strange behavior such as
> urinating outside the box? NO, NONE OF THEM ARE.
>
> Ok how did you introduce them to the other cats? I going to bet that
you
> just put them together.

No. Go to Google groups and google this group for "introducing cats."

luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com
January 6th 06, 06:34 PM
I'm sorry but I think that you have me all wrong! You basically just told me
that you, in some sense do the same thing that I do... only instead of
hissing or using water, you use air! And for the same reason I do. and like
Iíve tried telling you before, which Iím guessing since you've already have
this horrible image of me in your mind, I only tried the hissing and water
thing a few times, got no results from it and so I stopped doing it! And as
for "feeling emotionally rejected by a cat" I don't. I could care less how it
makes me feel. My main concern is my cats. I donít like seeing them looking
as scared all the time. I don't believe that an animal could live happy like
that. Now once again Iím sorry that you have this image of me but you have it
all wrong. I love my cats, and there is absolutely nothing that I wouldn't do
for them! Including coming on websites and getting criticized by people like
you that make up images when instead of jumping to conclusions all you had to
do was just simply ask instead of assuming! But once again thanks for your
input!

Angie

Poobah wrote:
>> i have never punished her for being mean i've just tried to get her to
>> stop attacking me...
>[...]
>> and as far a squrting them this is used even by
>> Vets! it's a way of telling them that they aren't supposed to be doing
>> what theyre doing with out hurting ot scaring them! they just don't
>> like it!
>
>It's attitude adjustment, and simply because it doesn't hurt the cat
>doesn't mean that it's any different than hitting it. The purpose is the
>same, to tell the cat that it's doing something wrong. But in this case,
>if the cat doesn't want to be picked up or petted, then the human is the
>one doing something wrong by insisting and in essence performing a form
>of agression on the cat who's feeling defensive.
>
>I have a young female that I rescued off the street when she was about
>3-4 months old. Past that age, if they haven't bonded with humans then
>they'll always remain aloof. She used to swipe at my face and I grabbed
>her paws and blew in her face to tell her no, but I wasn't using that
>method to force her into being picked up or petted.
>
>To this day, she sometimes hisses at me if I push her off a counter, but
>that's because she sees this as a form of agression. Instead of hissing
>back at her, I call to her gently to let her know that I'm not trying to
>confront her and she comes out of whatever hiding place she ran under to
>rub against me, and she'll kiss me on the lips. She's still very feisty
>(she won't stand the proximity of my other female, who's completely
>harmless) but she's mellowed out considerably and will even sleep with
>me on occasion.
>
>I didn't achieve any of this by waging a battle of wills agains her.
>That's not the way to deal with a cat feeling threatened.
>
>And for Gods sake, stop feeling emotionally rejected by a cat!
>
>poobah

Alison
January 6th 06, 11:08 PM
"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
..
>>. my cats are my
> world they rule my house and do what they want really when they want
to...
> (with some exceptions) IE: attacking people! and as far a squrting
them this
> is used even by Vets! it's a way of telling them that they aren't
supposed to
> be doing what theyre doing with out hurting ot scaring them! they
just don't
> like it! and for a hissing it's a way of showing them that you
aren't afaid
> of them and that youre the boss! but anyway thanks for responding
and i have
> a good year!!!!>>>

I apprecite its not pleasant to be attacked by a cat . It's very
painful but you need to understand why your two are doing it.
Aggression is a natural reaction in cats that are frightened and
fearful and feel cornered i.e attack is the best form of defence. By
doing things that are percieved as being aggressive by the cat such as
hissing and squirting water , you are proving to them that you are a
threat and danger to them and that you are unpredictable, sometimes
being nice and sometimes not and therefore their aggressiveness is
justified.
Most vets know little about cat behaviour and showing a frightened
cat that you are the boss and that your're not afraid of it (your
words) is pointless and detrimetal.
You need to encourage a good relationship based on trust so that your
cats don't feel the need to use aggression.

Alison

luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com
January 8th 06, 08:26 AM
Well everyone this is the last time I'm coming on this site... thanks to
everyone that has helped and just to let everyone know cat # 2 is doing great!
Thanks to you Alison. You have been the most help and for that I am very
grateful! He is now loose in the house not attacking anyone and hasn't got
into any fights with any other cats. He is still a little skittish but that's
with all cats in a new home. When we first rescued him we were just going to
keep him for a while until we found him a new and good home, but seeing how
much trouble he had just adjusting to us we've decided to keep him instead of
letting him go though the same fight with other people that might hurt him!
As for my little orange cat, she's still very very mean but I've given it a
lot of thought and I love her just the way she is... like me =) She's just
feisty and needs more attention then the others or in some cases less
attention. I've also thought that I might just go ahead and get her soft paws
and keep her in my room away from the other cats. That should give the other
cats in the house a break since she does have them all afraid of her even
though she's half, if not less, their size. =) but thanks once again Alison,
Tracyrose, NMR, and anyone else that has actually tried to help! (You know
who you are) Have a great year oh and thanks for the typing lessons cybercat
I honestly donít know if I could have gone on though life typing like I was
if it wasnít for you! =) Bye All!!

Alison wrote:
>.
>>>. my cats are my
>> world they rule my house and do what they want really when they want to...
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>> of them and that youre the boss! but anyway thanks for responding and i have
>> a good year!!!!>>>
>
> I apprecite its not pleasant to be attacked by a cat . It's very
>painful but you need to understand why your two are doing it.
>Aggression is a natural reaction in cats that are frightened and
>fearful and feel cornered i.e attack is the best form of defence. By
>doing things that are percieved as being aggressive by the cat such as
>hissing and squirting water , you are proving to them that you are a
>threat and danger to them and that you are unpredictable, sometimes
>being nice and sometimes not and therefore their aggressiveness is
>justified.
> Most vets know little about cat behaviour and showing a frightened
>cat that you are the boss and that your're not afraid of it (your
>words) is pointless and detrimetal.
> You need to encourage a good relationship based on trust so that your
>cats don't feel the need to use aggression.
>
> Alison

Alison
January 8th 06, 04:43 PM
Now you're here, you might as well stay and pick up some more info:)
It can be rough on unmoderated newsgroups but some people here are
very knowledgeable and their help will be invaluable.
If you don't feel you can ask more questions, do a search on google
and look
up old posts.
http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/deja_announcement.html

That is a good idea to keep the little ginger cat separated for a
while , it will give
her a break too. If there is a lot of aggression between cats then the
usual advice is to separate them and slowly re introduced them ,
first by smell and then visual .
Feliway diffusers can help relax cats and chill out, they're expensive
but it might be worth trying them.

--
Alison
http://catinfolinks.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Well everyone this is the last time I'm coming on this site...
thanks to
> everyone that has helped and just to let everyone know cat # 2 is
doing great!
> Thanks to you Alison. You have been the most help and for that I am
very
> grateful! He is now loose in the house not attacking anyone and
hasn't got
> into any fights with any other cats. He is still a little skittish
but that's
> with all cats in a new home. When we first rescued him we were just
going to
> keep him for a while until we found him a new and good home, but
seeing how
> much trouble he had just adjusting to us we've decided to keep him
instead of
> letting him go though the same fight with other people that might
hurt him!
> As for my little orange cat, she's still very very mean but I've
given it a
> lot of thought and I love her just the way she is... like me =)
She's just
> feisty and needs more attention then the others or in some cases
less
> attention. I've also thought that I might just go ahead and get her
soft paws
> and keep her in my room away from the other cats. That should give
the other
> cats in the house a break since she does have them all afraid of her
even
> though she's half, if not less, their size. =) but thanks once again
Alison,
> Tracyrose, NMR, and anyone else that has actually tried to help!
(You know
> who you are) Have a great year oh and thanks for the typing lessons
cybercat
> I honestly don't know if I could have gone on though life typing
like I was
> if it wasn't for you! =) Bye All!!

cybercat
January 8th 06, 07:10 PM
"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote

> oh and thanks for the typing lessons cybercat
> I honestly don't know if I could have gone on though life typing like I
was
> if it wasn't for you! =) Bye All!!

You're welcome, luvbrat. You have made tremendous progress, good for you.