PDA

View Full Version : Bladder infection - Kindly help

ramon82
January 5th 06, 08:15 AM
Hi all

I have a 2 ˝ year old male cat who is experiencing problems to urinate due to
an infection. Obviously I went to the VET and he applied the cutiter (sorry
my English; a thin tube which sucks liquid from the cat’s bladder I imagine).
When the VET sucked the urine it was dark yellow almost amber in color
indicating some blood in it, again due to the infection and the crystals. He
extracted most of it and put in a clear liquid too to sort of filter the
kidneys. It has now been 3 days since I started to medicate my cat with pills
3x per day and give him fresh water with a syringe very often. Unfortunately
I am not seeing any improvement and my cat still suffers to urinate, you can
almost hear him try…Also I spotted some red liquid on his penis and I assume
its blood…He continously licks it, maybe it itches him a lot I sincerely dont
know.

Even worse this morning after he was asleep in his bed, we went out to pee in
a hail storm and came back very wet... i am fearing he could catch a flu now :
(

Can someone give an advice on this maybe somebody already experienced this
with his cat. Also any other suggestions what might do to help him further.

Thanks so much

Gail
January 5th 06, 03:30 PM
Take him back to the vet or to another vet.
Gail
"ramon82" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hi all
>
> I have a 2 ˝ year old male cat who is experiencing problems to urinate due
> an infection. Obviously I went to the VET and he applied the cutiter
> (sorry
> my English; a thin tube which sucks liquid from the cat's bladder I
> imagine).
> When the VET sucked the urine it was dark yellow almost amber in color
> indicating some blood in it, again due to the infection and the crystals.
> He
> extracted most of it and put in a clear liquid too to sort of filter the
> kidneys. It has now been 3 days since I started to medicate my cat with
> pills
> 3x per day and give him fresh water with a syringe very often.
> Unfortunately
> I am not seeing any improvement and my cat still suffers to urinate, you
> can
> almost hear him try.Also I spotted some red liquid on his penis and I
> assume
> its blood.He continously licks it, maybe it itches him a lot I sincerely
> dont
> know.
>
> Even worse this morning after he was asleep in his bed, we went out to pee
> in
> a hail storm and came back very wet... i am fearing he could catch a flu
> now :
> (
>
> Can someone give an advice on this maybe somebody already experienced this
> with his cat. Also any other suggestions what might do to help him
> further.
>
> Thanks so much

ramon82 via CatKB.com
January 5th 06, 05:32 PM
I figured that.

What I would is someone who can explain what the cat might have

Gail wrote:
>Take him back to the vet or to another vet.
>Gail
>> Hi all
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 31 lines]
>>
>> Thanks so much

JQ
January 5th 06, 07:39 PM
Hello My cat had this problem, it can be fatal in cats and is most
common in male cats. It's like crystals blocking the track making him
unable to pee. Its very painful. My cat had this and would try to pee
on the couch, bed pillows, anywhere it was soft as he was in so much
pain and would try everything to try to go but he couldn't. I would
spot blood everywhere. I would give him a litter box tho, you really
shouldn't be bringing a sick cat outside to go pee. It's painful enough
for him to walk, let alone dig in outside dirt and walk around in the
cold. Really it would be better for him.
My cat has recovered, slowly. But he did. Your vet should recommend low
ph food, better for males with this condition or any cat really to
avoid getting this. I feed my cat Walthams SO ph control wet food. I
wouldn't take him to another vet that's more terrifying for him and
they'll likely do the same thing and try to get urine out of his
bladder and hurt him again. It's very painful and difficult to try to
do that to humans let alone a tiny kitty's penis. Really you have
mediciine now, just give it time and please get a litter box, don't
bring him outside - that's too painful for him and in time he will
recover, just let him rest and keep a close eye on him. If left too
long it is the most common death in male cats.
All the best!
JQ

ramon82 via CatKB.com
January 5th 06, 07:59 PM
Oh I didnt think it was that serious, I am worried more now. But what might
lead to death, the excessive pain or the infection itself?

My cat doesnt seem to be suffering from any pain though cos he plays around
like he has nothing...

If I give him the medicine and the proper rest should I be worrying about
fatalities anyways?

JQ wrote:
>Hello My cat had this problem, it can be fatal in cats and is most
>common in male cats. It's like crystals blocking the track making him
>unable to pee. Its very painful. My cat had this and would try to pee
>on the couch, bed pillows, anywhere it was soft as he was in so much
>pain and would try everything to try to go but he couldn't. I would
>spot blood everywhere. I would give him a litter box tho, you really
>shouldn't be bringing a sick cat outside to go pee. It's painful enough
>for him to walk, let alone dig in outside dirt and walk around in the
>cold. Really it would be better for him.
>My cat has recovered, slowly. But he did. Your vet should recommend low
>ph food, better for males with this condition or any cat really to
>avoid getting this. I feed my cat Walthams SO ph control wet food. I
>wouldn't take him to another vet that's more terrifying for him and
>they'll likely do the same thing and try to get urine out of his
>bladder and hurt him again. It's very painful and difficult to try to
>do that to humans let alone a tiny kitty's penis. Really you have
>mediciine now, just give it time and please get a litter box, don't
>bring him outside - that's too painful for him and in time he will
>recover, just let him rest and keep a close eye on him. If left too
>long it is the most common death in male cats.
>All the best!
>JQ

JQ
January 5th 06, 10:01 PM
That's good - I didn't mean to worry you, just be careful. It can be
fatal if not taken care of right away!! You said he's on medication so
I'm sure he'll be good in no time, especially if he's already playing.
But to avoid getting it again, he really should take LOW PH food, like
Walthams, SO Ph control canned food. Ask your vet, I am sure she'd say
the same thing. That cheap food is bad for them.
If left without medication it leads to kidney damage which is how they
die.Very common for male cats to get kidney failure and problems.
No don't worry about fatality in your cat if he's getting better, just
get proper diet, clean litter box so u can keep an eye on how much he
pees in it.
If you let him just go pee outside you can't see if he's actually
peeing and how much, or if he's struggling. If you have a litter box
you know exactly how often he's trying to go to it and how much pee is
in it. and if theres any blood.
Hope that helps a little.
JQ

ramon82 via CatKB.com
January 5th 06, 10:27 PM
I hope the medication works I cant imagine my life without my little gritz...:
((

JQ wrote:
>That's good - I didn't mean to worry you, just be careful. It can be
>fatal if not taken care of right away!! You said he's on medication so
>I'm sure he'll be good in no time, especially if he's already playing.
>But to avoid getting it again, he really should take LOW PH food, like
>Walthams, SO Ph control canned food. Ask your vet, I am sure she'd say
>the same thing. That cheap food is bad for them.
>If left without medication it leads to kidney damage which is how they
>die.Very common for male cats to get kidney failure and problems.
>No don't worry about fatality in your cat if he's getting better, just
>get proper diet, clean litter box so u can keep an eye on how much he
>pees in it.
>If you let him just go pee outside you can't see if he's actually
>peeing and how much, or if he's struggling. If you have a litter box
>you know exactly how often he's trying to go to it and how much pee is
>in it. and if theres any blood.
>Hope that helps a little.
>JQ

5cats
January 6th 06, 04:51 AM
ramon82 via CatKB.com wrote:

> I hope the medication works I cant imagine my life without my little
> gritz...: ((

As JQ mentioned, diet is very important in managing the condition. Please
talk to your vet about the proper food (if you haven't already ).