PDA

View Full Version : Kittens vs. consumer electronics

Lurkster
January 5th 06, 09:15 PM
My wife & I have a kitten that acts like it's about to fold up. Weak,
very little appetite, lethargic, stunted growth when compared to her
siblings. Barely walks. The vet really couldn't do much in the way
of diagnosis without blood tests, etc. Heres the fun part- This
kitten made a habit, for a while of sleeping on top of the comuter
monitor, assumably for the warmth. Normally, a person wouldn't think
too much about that, but, we have had (2) kittens in the past who have
taken to sleeping on (1) a power supply for a laptop, and (2) a heating
pad (set on low). Both of them developed similar symptoms to this one.
(one died). After 3 such common occurances, we are becoming
convinced that either the heat or some form of electromagnetic
radiation may be to blame. The vets have all poo-poo'd this
immediately. Looking at other discussion groups, I found one post that
stated they had heard that cats would do that as a symptom of feline
leukemia. I'm thinking not. Our other 10 cats are healthy. I'm
curious as to whether the heat may have induced some kind of feline
heat stroke. Does anyone else have any ideas, or have had any
experience with kittens who nap on electronic/electrical apparati and
became ill?
Thanks

John Doe
January 5th 06, 10:03 PM
"Lurkster" > wrote:

> My wife & I have a kitten that acts like it's about to fold up.
> Weak, very little appetite, lethargic, stunted growth when
> compared to her siblings. Barely walks. The vet really
> couldn't do much in the way of diagnosis without blood tests, etc.
> Heres the fun part- This kitten made a habit, for a while of
> sleeping on top of the comuter monitor, assumably for the warmth.
> Normally, a person wouldn't think too much about that, but, we
> have had (2) kittens in the past who have taken to sleeping on (1)
> a power supply for a laptop, and (2) a heating pad (set on low).
> Both of them developed similar symptoms to this one. (one died).
> After 3 such common occurances, we are becoming convinced that
> either the heat or some form of electromagnetic radiation may be
> to blame. The vets have all poo-poo'd this immediately.

The simple idea that keeping warm is unhealthy should be pooh-poohed
IMO. Yes, I imagine it could depend on what the electronics radiate.
Being so close to the electronics in a computer monitor might be
suspect. I think that is a very good concern. Good luck.

Sounds to me like it might be a good question for one of the high
technology groups.

2 fingers
January 5th 06, 10:33 PM
Lurkster wrote:
> My wife & I have a kitten that acts like it's about to fold up. Weak,

> Thanks

You wanna know what I think...

I think you are right on.

I think you're common sense KNOWS what the problem is

yes..even a cell phone has a warning on it.

there is considerable radiation coming from monitors
especially a monitor...

i can believe that a cats chemistry is not suited for this
we get zapped being in front of them, but we don't lay on them
I can't imagine how anemic we would look if we did

go with your gut SEEING THAT THE BIG DOCTOR YOU PAID don't know squat
about it...

but true enough, if you give heat pad when not cold in house, it will
weaken cats circulatory system

Vigilias
January 6th 06, 01:25 AM
Am I glad I read this!

I think the kitten Lurkster describes is the runt of it's litter.
Smaller, weaker, more prone to any passing infection. It's usually
because the runt is born last and its stronger, more assertive siblings
all got a better crack at and head start of their mothers milk. The
first few grammes of an animals milk contain the best of the valuable
antibodies to the common diseases. Runts of a litter always tend to be
sicker and end up costing more in vets fees - that is, if they dont die
in the first few weeks.

A friends cat had a litter and the runt basically was destined to die.
Even when it wasn't able to cope with solid food after the milk dried
up, if anything it would climb inside the food bowl and end up a
bedraggled mess. The first litter that cat had was a litter of only
one, so the lone kitten had the lions share of its mothers milk
(Literally) and didn't even have to compete for it. The kitten grew in
to one hefty cat, humped it's own mother, stole its mothers milk for
the new kittens then one day when I was looking after the house and
cats for my friend, I caught the same cat HUMPING ITS OWN
SISTER/DAUGHTER from the new litter!!!. Brazon it was too, on top of
the Tumble Dryer. If that cat was a person, it'd be doing 10 years now
for some unspeakable sexual offence!

My cat has found an area in the hall way between the kitchen and living
room where there must obviously be a hot pipe under the floor. That
area of the floor is always warm and she loves curling up on the carpet
over the warm spot. Unfortunately, she is short haired and completely
black so I have to be carefull not to trip over her before I put the
light on. There's a way to tell if you've stepped on the cat. An
ear-splitting spine-chilling yowl and the not too pleasant sensation of
teeth sinking in to your ankle!

She decided to lie on the DVD player when I had it on the floor but I
shooed her off because I didn't want fur inside the appliance.

I never thought about E-M Radiation.

---MIKE---
January 6th 06, 01:36 AM
I have used a heating pad (on low) on Amber's window seat for several
years. She spends about half of her time there. There is another
heated window seat next to it (for Tiger) but he doesn't use it (he is
long haired).

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Tony P.
January 6th 06, 02:31 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> My wife & I have a kitten that acts like it's about to fold up. Weak,
> very little appetite, lethargic, stunted growth when compared to her
> siblings. Barely walks. The vet really couldn't do much in the way
> of diagnosis without blood tests, etc. Heres the fun part- This
> kitten made a habit, for a while of sleeping on top of the comuter
> monitor, assumably for the warmth. Normally, a person wouldn't think
> too much about that, but, we have had (2) kittens in the past who have
> taken to sleeping on (1) a power supply for a laptop, and (2) a heating
> pad (set on low). Both of them developed similar symptoms to this one.
> (one died). After 3 such common occurances, we are becoming
> convinced that either the heat or some form of electromagnetic
> radiation may be to blame. The vets have all poo-poo'd this
> immediately. Looking at other discussion groups, I found one post that
> stated they had heard that cats would do that as a symptom of feline
> leukemia. I'm thinking not. Our other 10 cats are healthy. I'm
> curious as to whether the heat may have induced some kind of feline
> heat stroke. Does anyone else have any ideas, or have had any
> experience with kittens who nap on electronic/electrical apparati and
> became ill?
> Thanks

Electro magnetism does do some interesting things to living tissue.
Mostly it cooks it. Depending upon the power level and wavelength the
length of time varies.

Tony P.
January 6th 06, 02:32 AM
In article >,
says...
> "Lurkster" > wrote:
>
> > My wife & I have a kitten that acts like it's about to fold up.
> > Weak, very little appetite, lethargic, stunted growth when
> > compared to her siblings. Barely walks. The vet really
> > couldn't do much in the way of diagnosis without blood tests, etc.
> > Heres the fun part- This kitten made a habit, for a while of
> > sleeping on top of the comuter monitor, assumably for the warmth.
> > Normally, a person wouldn't think too much about that, but, we
> > have had (2) kittens in the past who have taken to sleeping on (1)
> > a power supply for a laptop, and (2) a heating pad (set on low).
> > Both of them developed similar symptoms to this one. (one died).
> > After 3 such common occurances, we are becoming convinced that
> > either the heat or some form of electromagnetic radiation may be
> > to blame. The vets have all poo-poo'd this immediately.
>
> The simple idea that keeping warm is unhealthy should be pooh-poohed
> IMO. Yes, I imagine it could depend on what the electronics radiate.
> Being so close to the electronics in a computer monitor might be
> suspect. I think that is a very good concern. Good luck.
>
> Sounds to me like it might be a good question for one of the high
> technology groups.

The front area of a CRT is lead coated to block X-Ray and other
emissions, but the back part is not.

So in addition to strong EM fields that cat probably got a pretty high
X-Ray dose.

January 6th 06, 04:45 AM
Vigilias wrote:
> Am I glad I read this!
>
> I think the kitten Lurkster describes is the runt of it's litter.
> Smaller, weaker, more prone to any passing infection. It's usually
> because the runt is born last and its stronger, more assertive siblings
> all got a better crack at and head start of their mothers milk. The
> first few grammes of an animals milk contain the best of the valuable
> antibodies to the common diseases. Runts of a litter always tend to be
> sicker and end up costing more in vets fees - that is, if they dont die
> in the first few weeks.

With good help from day one, a runt does not have to be any different
from any other cat. No more prone to infection or sickly, etc.

If you are there when the kittens are born, it isn't very hard to
remove some of the larger kittens for a short time and give the runt a
chance at the good milk. And from then on, supplement with kitten milk,
and also rotate the kittens to give the run a chance at the mother's
milk.

Many years ago, my mom's cat chewed through a screen window, spent the
night in the garage with a farm cat, and produced 8 kittens. She was
only 7 pounds, and she didn't have enough milk for 8 kittens. It was
obvious right away that 3 of them were smaller. So, we rotated them to
give them all a chance at her milk, and we started supplementing from
day one. We kept the smallest of the 3 runts, a really ugly looking
kitten. The others went quickly, but nobody wanted him. Until he had
stayed with us awhile, and I found myself hooked. I was only 14 at the
time, and I decided I would spend my paper route money to get him
neutered if my dad would let me keep him.

He died last May, a week and a half before his 19th birthday. He was
very healthy all his life. He had one minor respiratory infection when
he was 9 years old, easily cleared up with meds. And he had an abcess
when he was 17. Somebody else swatted him in the butt. And that was it
until his liver failed last May.

He was a healthy 9 lb cat.

If we, as their caretakers, step in and take care of the kittens when
they are born, there is no reason that a runt can't live a healthy
normal life. Nobody would have thought Maynard was a runt if they
looked at him. Not as an adult. He just needed some extra supplementing
as a kitten and a little help to get his share of mother's milk.

As far as monitors, I do not know. None of my cats have hung out on the
monitor. Fiona spent years sleeping on the tv and vcr and lived to be
18, but I don't know how those compare to computers and monitors.

2 fingers
January 6th 06, 05:19 AM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> I have used a heating pad (on low) on Amber's window seat for several
> years. She spends about half of her time there. There is another
> heated window seat next to it (for Tiger) but he doesn't use it (he is
> long haired).

you forgot to mention you made your cat bald with this
we've been over this!

nothing is free, it's a trade off

heating pads are for sore backs etc..

turn the thermostat up to 70
and let the cat curl up on a couch

---MIKE---
January 6th 06, 02:46 PM
Asshole Barry wrote-

>>you forgot to mention you made your
>> cat bald with this we've been over this!

She was NOT bald - just lost some hair on her belly which was probably
not from the heating pad.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Levon
January 6th 06, 05:23 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:

> She was NOT bald - just lost some hair on her belly which was probably
> not from the heating pad.

oh good heavens man, do I have to go get the post

mike mike, it's alright, embrace the truth

she was only bald where the heating pad was

SHA!

---MIKE---
January 6th 06, 06:34 PM
Better than the post is a photo.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=1777604&a=13746150&p=71729977&Sequence=0&res=high

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Levon
January 6th 06, 07:03 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> Better than the post is a photo.
>
> http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=1777604&a=13746150&p=71729977&Sequence=0&res=high

steeeeerike ONE!

nobody home at link

John Doe
January 6th 06, 10:02 PM
I wrote:

> Sounds to me like it might be a good question for one of the high
> technology groups.

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Too close to a computer monitor?

Levon
January 7th 06, 01:50 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Better than the post is a photo.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=1777604&a=13746150&p=71729977&Sequenc
e=0&res=high

nobody home at that link

i posted this earlier under from google acct
i think i will stop using google to post

Levon
January 7th 06, 01:53 AM
"Levon" > wrote in message news:[email protected]

ok, I see...

i had to copy paste link rather than click through

but what is that in the picture

is that the top of your head?

damn shame really, all that hair and a pink bald spot

just kidding, hope she grows back when you cut the heating pad off
do her heart a favor and make her stay warm on her own Mike.

---MIKE---
January 7th 06, 01:57 PM
>>hope she grows back when you cut the
>> heating pad off do her heart a favor
>> and make her stay warm on her own
>> Mike.

The hair all grew back last summer. I now have a "diffuser" over the
pad to reduce the heat. It is just slightly warm now. I will be
checking her tummy frequently to see if there is any hair loss.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

sCatologist
January 12th 06, 11:13 PM
Am glad someone else is asking this question, too. We have a 3-year old tortie cat that loves to sleep on top of the monitor in my wife's home-office. She (the cat) has always been allowed outside, hunted mice and voles and the occasional bird. She has always been fed a high-grade organic cat food, as well as occasional small portions of meat and fish. Never had any problems with her, until just before Christmas. She started vomiting virtually everything we tried to feed her, so we took her to vet. X-rays revealed a "possible" foreign object in the small intestine, so we let them open her up, looking for string, Christmas ribbon, etc (apparently a very common problem). Vet found a "possible" object that had passed into the large intestine by the time he got in there, so he didn't cut her bowel open, thankfully. After surgery recovery, she went right back to vomiting everything except some very expensive venison-based "I.D." brand food. She can eat as little as one pellet of our other cat's food, and the whole vomiting process begins again. Anyway, to get to the point, is there any medical evidence anywhere that prolonged close exposure to the back of computer monitors causes digestive or other health problems in cats? Has anyone else besides Lurkster thought seriously about this? The vet's diagnosis is ""extreme" food allergies and irritable bowel syndrome," but he can't give us any ideas as to why she could eat virtually anything for over three years and all of the sudden not be able to keep anything down but the strictest regimen of this "ID" food. The only difference between the two cat's lives has been that the tortie spends so much time sleeping on the top of the computer monitor. Sorry this is so lengthy, but it seemed like a thorough explanation in the beginning might prompt the best answers. Thanks, hope to hear from some of you.

[...]

January 13th 06, 07:56 AM
sCatologist > wrote:

> Anyway, to get to the point, is there any medical evidence
> anywhere that prolonged close exposure to the back of computer
> monitors causes digestive or other health problems in cats? Has
> anyone else besides Lurkster thought seriously about this?

Have you read the rest of the thread?

sCatologist
January 13th 06, 06:25 PM
sCatologist wrote:

Anyway, to get to the point, is there any medical evidence
anywhere that prolonged close exposure to the back of computer
monitors causes digestive or other health problems in cats? Has
anyone else besides Lurkster thought seriously about this?

Have you read the rest of the thread?

Yes, I scanned it quickly, and it seems like there is only speculation and replies, but no one with any real "proof" of cause/effect, nor any evidence of an animal's improved health if they prevented the animal from parking itself up on the monitor for a great length of time; for instance, several months of intentional prevention. Without that, it's just speculation, like saying "my eyes are getting worse because I stare at a computer all day for my job," but not proving it by taking an extended time off and avoiding staring at the computer to see if the eyes return to normal (I did this: taking a 3 1/2 week raft trip in the Grand Canyon, and my eyes got LOTS better, so there was a verifiable cause/effect relationship). Anyway, I'm going to rig something so the cat can't lay on the monitor, and see if it helps her.

John Doe
January 14th 06, 06:51 AM
sCatologist <sCatologist.21l57m news.catbanter.com> wrote:

> John Doe Wrote:
>> sCatologist sCatologist.21jr7j news.catbanter.com wrote:
>>

>> Anyway, to get to the point, is there any medical evidence
>> anywhere that prolonged close exposure to the back of computer
>> monitors causes digestive or other health problems in cats? Has
>> anyone else besides Lurkster thought seriously about this?
>>
>> Have you read the rest of the thread?
>
> Yes, I scanned it quickly, and it seems like there is only
> speculation and replies, but no one with any real "proof" of
> cause/effect,

You might not find many people here who are experienced in
that particular subject. So I wouldn't expect many offers of
real proof. If you can do research or even ask questions in
other groups (sci... for example), you don't have to limit yourself
to this group and this thread.

Good luck.