PDA

View Full Version : Friskies Hairball Remedy vs Petromalt

teri
January 5th 06, 10:33 PM
Anyone use the Friskies Hairball treats regularly and have any
comments? I would like to keep Jewel lubricated so the hair passes
thru more easily and she doesn't slowly back up. Use the petromalt
now, two to three times a week, how about changing to the Friskies
which she will eat readily?
Teri

Spot
January 6th 06, 12:51 AM
I don't see where one is any different than the other. The thing is getting
the cat to eat it readily. If she will take it and it's working that's the
important thing.

My cats won't touch any of the stuff what so ever. I finally switched them
to food that helps with the hair balls and give each of them a tiny bit of
petroleum jelly every week. I checked with the vet she said it won't hurt
and it's the only thing any of them them will take willingly.

Celeste

"teri" > wrote in message
> Anyone use the Friskies Hairball treats regularly and have any
> comments? I would like to keep Jewel lubricated so the hair passes
> thru more easily and she doesn't slowly back up. Use the petromalt
> now, two to three times a week, how about changing to the Friskies
> which she will eat readily?
> Teri

teri
January 6th 06, 11:42 PM
>Use whateverr your cat will take. Kami won't eat petromalt, and ate
>the Pounce hairball treats for a long time. Now she just likes plain
>old white petroleum jelly (Vaseline).
Wow, both your cats "like" vaseline? That seems strange to me, but I
believe you. Might have to try it.
Thanks for responding, I was just concerned that there might be some
kind of bad "don't use the Friskies Hairball Remedy" stories out there
since I have never tried it with my cats.

On a side note, the reason I want to use something on a consistent
basis is this - I have previously given her petromalt once in a while,
if I noticed she had not pooped for two days, or her stools were
consistently small, which hers often are. But, we just got recovered
from one bad dental cleaning experience....
Jewel is six. Her vet said her teeth were not in bad shape, but she
did have tarter build-up, and doing a cleaning now before she got bad
was a good idea. Of course I had heard all about the cleanings, did
more research, and asked everyone I knew that had cats about them
(previously my cats had never needed one).
Her cleaning went well, pulled the two small teeth alongside the lower
incisors because of root decay, she tolerated anesthesia with no
problems. She came home and ate a little bit that nite. The next day
she still only ate a little bit, same for the next two days. Back to
the vet, gums are all healed, she is probably nauseous from the
antibiotics and maybe the pain meds. She got fluids, Vit B12, cypro
to stimulate appetite, stopped all other meds. Over the next few days
she started to pick up her appetite a bit, but still was very quite,
had an extremely strange cry-like meow, rarely purred... then one week
from the dental, she started vomiting. Back to vet. Labs, and xrays
done, showed stool backed up her descending colon and across the
transverse. So the day before christmas she gets an enema. Not a
good experience at all. That day she felt too crappy to clean herself
well after trips to the litter box, so all she could do on christmas
was scoot, and lick her bottom and expel anal sac stuff. No way could
I get her cleaned up back there despite my efforts. A very
unpleasant day. Next day back to vet to get her bottom shaved, her
skin was raw from the enema solution and dried on stool. Finally she
starts to eat (was given a shot of prednisolone after the enema
because her bowel was inflamed and slightly bloody) but now she won't
poop because it hurts too much (she screamed the first time she
tried). It is now three weeks to the day after the routine dental,
and this is the first day she is running around knocking her toys down
the steps and being her funny, pleasant self.
So now you know why I want to give her bowels some help in keeping
things moving along. And why none of my cats will be getting "routine
dentals" again.
Teri