PDA

View Full Version : safe for dogs to eat cat food?

January 6th 06, 03:01 AM
Hi,

When I feed my cat dry cat food in the morning, my dog always wants to
eat it too. Is it safe for dogs to eat cat food?

Thanks for any info.

Niel Humphreys
January 6th 06, 09:09 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> When I feed my cat dry cat food in the morning, my dog always wants to
> eat it too. Is it safe for dogs to eat cat food?

Safe but it will probably make them fart like crazy.

--

Niel H

JQ
January 6th 06, 01:32 PM
In long term - I would make sure the dog is stilll getting the proper
vitamins which is different than for cats. Talk to your vet. Especially
if your cat is on special diet food. You want to make sure your dog
isn't missing something special in the diet that could keep him
healthier and live longer.
JQ

Levon
January 6th 06, 01:37 PM
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I feed my cat dry cat food in the morning, my dog always wants to
> eat it too. Is it safe for dogs to eat cat food?

yes of course it is

Willow
January 6th 06, 08:04 PM
My cat steal the dog's food..

so far so good.. but then Gaya's always been a little weird..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> When I feed my cat dry cat food in the morning, my dog always wants to
> eat it too. Is it safe for dogs to eat cat food?
>
> Thanks for any info.

Alison
January 6th 06, 11:12 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> When I feed my cat dry cat food in the morning, my dog always wants
> eat it too. Is it safe for dogs to eat cat food?
>
> Thanks for any info.>>

I'm sure a little won't hurt. I use cat biscuits as reward for my
dog, he loves them. Cat food contains more protein than dog food so it
would be worth checking with your vet if its ok for your dog.
Alison

Steve Crane
January 7th 06, 12:42 AM
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I feed my cat dry cat food in the morning, my dog always wants to
> eat it too. Is it safe for dogs to eat cat food?
>
> Thanks for any info.

Safe - Yes, Good idea - No. The opposite would not be true. Cat's
should not be fed a dog food because cats are obligate carnivores and
cannot manufacture certain amino acids that the dog can. By feeding a
dog food to a cat there is a probability that the cat will not get some
critical nutrients. Feeding a dog cat food is therefore "safe", but not
a good idea. Cat foods are much higher in protein than dog foods and
excess protein is innapropriate for the dog. Cat foods are
substantially higher in calories than dog foods and the extra calories
are usually not a good idea for dogs either.

Clyde Ferndock
January 8th 06, 02:01 PM
"Willow" > wrote in
:

> My cat steal the dog's food..
>
> so far so good.. but then Gaya's always been a little weird..

I had a cat (for 18 years) that would drop down out of a tree onto the back
of a German Shepard when he was in our yard. He would sometimes ride the
dog across the street into his own yard and then jump off and come home.
Now the yards were only fenced by a 36 inch chain-link fences, but that did
extablish territory for both pets.

Once the dog's owner showed up at our front door complaining about the fact
that our cat had been in their yard abusing their dog. My wife informed
her that we had small children that played in our yard and if she didn't
keep her dog home we would let our mean cat out to play with their dog. We
did have another cat at that time, but he was too cowardly to let himself
be seen by an intruder of any verity.

Eventually their dog quit showing up, or got hit by a car or something.

I do not think my cat actually took a bite of this dog, so maybe a response
in a thread about cats eating "dog" food is inappropriate, but it is a true
story!