PDA

View Full Version : Cat Pooping in Bathtub!

Ruby Tuesday
January 9th 06, 04:59 AM
For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's poop
in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell. I
recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda high,
maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.

Feeback, anyone?

- Ruby Tuesday

cybercat
January 9th 06, 05:05 AM
"Ruby Tuesday" > wrote in message
> For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's
poop
> in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell.
> recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda
high,
> maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate.

You mean, you added clean litter to dirty?

Ruby Tuesday
January 9th 06, 05:06 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Ruby Tuesday" > wrote in message
> > For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's
> poop
> > in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell.
> > recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda
> high,
> > maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate.
>

> You mean, you added clean litter to dirty?

Um, I scooped out what I could to the first layer of litter, then I poured
the rest of the bag on top.

January 9th 06, 05:11 AM
Ruby Tuesday wrote:
> For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's poop
> in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell. I
> recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda high,
> maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
> excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.
>
> Feeback, anyone?
>
> - Ruby Tuesday

Do you have only one cat? If not, are the other cats harrassing Mico?
He could be using the bathtub because he feels like it's a "safe
place"--high sides, privacy, etc.
Is your litterbox in a busy or noisy place? If so, try moving it.
Also, if the litterbox isn't impeccably clean, some cats will avoid it.

Sherry

Judy
January 9th 06, 05:28 AM
"Ruby Tuesday" > wrote in message
> For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's
> poop
> in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell.
> recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda
> high,
> maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
> excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.
>
> Feeback, anyone?

Have him checked by the vet. Inappropriate pooping is usually as a result of
a medical or behavioural problem. It's best to rule out a medical problem
first.

Wendy
January 9th 06, 01:30 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Ruby Tuesday wrote:
>> For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's
>> poop
>> in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell.
>> recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda
>> high,
>> maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
>> excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.
>>
>> Feeback, anyone?
>>
>> - Ruby Tuesday
>
> Do you have only one cat? If not, are the other cats harrassing Mico?
> He could be using the bathtub because he feels like it's a "safe
> place"--high sides, privacy, etc.
> Is your litterbox in a busy or noisy place? If so, try moving it.
> Also, if the litterbox isn't impeccably clean, some cats will avoid it.
>
> Sherry

Try adding another box. Some cats won't poop in the same box they pee in.
With an extra box and regular scooping (at least once a day if not twice)
one of them is more likely to be up to the cat's standards.

January 9th 06, 02:57 PM
I had a cat years ago who peed in the toilet with no encouragement from
me.
My cat used to do her business in the bathtub. She also liked to pee on
rubber backed rugs. Wish I knew why.

Levon
January 9th 06, 03:00 PM
Ruby Tuesday wrote:
> For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's poop
> in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell. I
> recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda high,
> maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
> excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.
>
> Feeback, anyone?
>
> - Ruby Tuesday

set the litter box in the bathtub
(send your message to him)

Paul M. Cook
January 9th 06, 04:27 PM
"Ruby Tuesday" > wrote in message
> For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's
poop
> in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell.
> recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda
high,
> maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
> excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.
>
> Feeback, anyone?

He may not know what a litter box is. Some cats get confused. Try putting
a fresh box of litter in or near the bathtub for a few days. Let him find
it. Then gradually relocate the litter box a bit each day after he gets
used to using it.

Paul

Barb
January 9th 06, 05:21 PM
My litter boxes are in an unused closet. If your litter boxes arena.t in
the bathroom you could shut the bathroom door. I took care of a neighbor's
6 cats once and one of them always "used" the tub. The family used the
other tub.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

AZ Nomad
January 9th 06, 05:38 PM
On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:59:21 -0500, Ruby Tuesday > wrote:

>For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's poop
>in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell. I
>recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda high,
>maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
>excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.

>Feeback, anyone?

I once had a cat who insisted that I replace the litter no less than
every other day. If I went longer than that, he'd poop in the tub.
He was the boss and I complied.

Joe Canuck
January 10th 06, 12:12 AM
Ruby Tuesday wrote:

> For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's poop
> in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell. I
> recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda high,
> maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
> excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.
>
> Feeback, anyone?
>
> - Ruby Tuesday

Close the drain.

Fill the bathtub with clumping kitty litter.

Scoop daily.

CatNipped
January 10th 06, 12:34 AM
"Ruby Tuesday" > wrote in message
> For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's
> poop
> in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell.
> recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda
> high,
> maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
> excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.
>
> Feeback, anyone?
>
> - Ruby Tuesday

Keep the tub filled with water??! ;>

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Wendy
January 10th 06, 12:38 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I had a cat years ago who peed in the toilet with no encouragement from
> me.
> My cat used to do her business in the bathtub. She also liked to pee on
> rubber backed rugs. Wish I knew why.

I've heard the rubber backed rugs tend to attract cats - an odor maybe? My
Tigger used to use mine (rubber backed bathmat) until I added a litterbox in
the bathroom. Then she was happy to use that.

January 10th 06, 04:03 PM
AZ Nomad wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:59:21 -0500, Ruby Tuesday > wrote:
>

> >For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's poop
> >in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell. I
> >recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda high,
> >maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
> >excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.
>
> >Feeback, anyone?
>
> I once had a cat who insisted that I replace the litter no less than
> every other day. If I went longer than that, he'd poop in the tub.
> He was the boss and I complied.

I change the litter every other day, if not every day, or it stinks. I
wouldn't like to use a toilet that hadn't been flushed for 2 days, why
should they? My cat pees on leather though, which is OK, cos being a
veggie I don't have any leather possessions, not much fun for my
friends though, if I remember I lift their bags out of harms way, but
sometimes I forget!

Ron Herfurth
January 11th 06, 01:46 PM
wrote:

> >For me, 3 is the magic number. Tonight was the 3rd time I found Mico's
poop
> >in the bathtub. I take it he's angry at me, but for what I cannot tell.
> >recently filled up the litterbox with more litter - the pile is kinda
high,
> >maybe more than the three inches the instructions dictate. He's getting
> >excellent food. I'm drawing a blank.
>
> >Feeback, anyone?
>
> I once had a cat who insisted that I replace the litter no less than
> every other day. If I went longer than that, he'd poop in the tub.
> He was the boss and I complied.

The nice thing about clumping litter is you don't replace it, you just keep
adding more. I use a mix of clumping and regular, about half and half
(slightly more than half clumping actually).
Ron 18 cats with 13 litter pans.

AZ Nomad
January 11th 06, 03:26 PM
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:46:11 -0500, Ron Herfurth > wrote:
>The nice thing about clumping litter is you don't replace it, you just keep
>adding more. I use a mix of clumping and regular, about half and half
>(slightly more than half clumping actually).
>Ron 18 cats with 13 litter pans.

I've found that clumping litter gets just as stinky as regular litter and
loses the ability to clump.

We curently have two litterboxes in the house used by two cats and one
is clumping and the other not. We're not sure which is less work.

Shardonay
January 11th 06, 04:15 PM
AZ Nomad wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:46:11 -0500, Ron Herfurth > wrote:
>
>>The nice thing about clumping litter is you don't replace it, you just keep
>>adding more. I use a mix of clumping and regular, about half and half
>>(slightly more than half clumping actually).
>>Ron 18 cats with 13 litter pans.
>

> I've found that clumping litter gets just as stinky as regular litter and
> loses the ability to clump.

Try Scoop Away. It's the best scooping litter I've ever tried.