PDA

View Full Version : Kitten biting at stitches

Kristin
January 8th 06, 10:53 PM
Hi,

My 7 month old kitten was spayed on Thursday. The vet would like me to
keep the e-collar on her for a minimum of 2 weeks until the stitches
heal, so she cannot bite or lick them.

I feel terrible watching her in the collar, since it seems to have a
psychological effect on her. She refuses to eat, even though she can
reach into the food bowl with the collar on. However, the moment I
remove the collar, she tries to bite at the stitches.

I've been reading previous posts, and it seems like 2 weeks is rather
long. When I asked my vet if there was an alternative to the e-collar,
I was told "no, you MUST keep the collar on".

Is my vet just ultra conservative, or does this sound correct? A lazer
was used for the incision, so I'm not sure if this makes a difference.

Does anyone know of some safe alternatives to the e-collar? I tried
cutting the sleeve off a long sleeve t-shirt and putting her in it, but
that seems to make her even more depressed. I was thinking of perhaps
a safe topical cream, but my vet is insisting the collar is the only
way.

Thanks,
Kristin

Wendy
January 9th 06, 02:27 PM
"Kristin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> My 7 month old kitten was spayed on Thursday. The vet would like me to
> keep the e-collar on her for a minimum of 2 weeks until the stitches
> heal, so she cannot bite or lick them.
>
> I feel terrible watching her in the collar, since it seems to have a
> psychological effect on her. She refuses to eat, even though she can
> reach into the food bowl with the collar on. However, the moment I
> remove the collar, she tries to bite at the stitches.
>
> I've been reading previous posts, and it seems like 2 weeks is rather
> long. When I asked my vet if there was an alternative to the e-collar,
> I was told "no, you MUST keep the collar on".
>
> Is my vet just ultra conservative, or does this sound correct? A lazer
> was used for the incision, so I'm not sure if this makes a difference.
>
> Does anyone know of some safe alternatives to the e-collar? I tried
> cutting the sleeve off a long sleeve t-shirt and putting her in it, but
> that seems to make her even more depressed. I was thinking of perhaps
> a safe topical cream, but my vet is insisting the collar is the only
> way.
>
> Thanks,
> Kristin

If the collar is one of the frosted ones, try finding a clear one. I think
they may have them at some of the Pet Smart stores. Sometimes they accept
the collar better if their view isn't obstructed like it is with the frosted
ones.

January 9th 06, 05:16 PM

> If the collar is one of the frosted ones, try finding a clear one. I think
> they may have them at some of the Pet Smart stores. Sometimes they accept
> the collar better if their view isn't obstructed like it is with the frosted
> ones.

I didnt even know there were clear ones!! that would have made life a
lot easier for our cat..

Thanks!

January 9th 06, 05:18 PM