PDA

View Full Version : 76 dogs nationwide have died as a result of eating contaminated Diamond Pet Foods


Tim Campbell
January 10th 06, 12:50 AM
76 dogs nationwide have died as a result of eating contaminated
Diamond Pet Foods
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that at least 76 dogs
nationwide are believed to have died as a result of eating contaminated

Diamond Pet Foods.

According to the company, the pet food was distributed to stores in
Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine,
Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Michigan, New Hampshire, New
Jersey,
New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South
Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont and Virginia and West Virginia.

Diamond officials say they are doing what they can to help affected
pet owners.
"It's going to take some time to take care of all these customers,
and we're going to do it," said the company's chief operating officer,
Mark Brinkmann.

The company has recalled 19 varieties of dog and cat food because
tests showed high levels of aflatoxin, a naturally occurring toxic
chemical that comes from a fungus found on corn and other grains that
causes
severe liver damage in animals.

The company recalled products manufactured at its Gaston, S.C., plant

from around September to November 2005. Based on sample testing,
Diamond has narrowed down the exposure to food produced on Oct. 11,
Brinkmann
said Thursday.

The FDA and the South Carolina Department of Agriculture have
launched investigations.

Stewart's other dog, a 2-year-old pit bull named Chulo, died last
month just hours after being diagnosed with liver failure. It was only
then that the family learned of the recall.
Stewart initially thought Cocoa had refused to eat because she was
depressed about losing Chulo. After the recall, the family vet
confirmed
aflatoxin poisoning in Cocoa, Stewart said.

Steve Shrum, president of the South Carolina Association of
Veterinarians, said vets around the state were confused when puppies
began
showing signs of liver problems usually seen in older dogs.

"It takes such a small amount, and there's pretty much nothing you
can do with the process that will inactivate that toxin once it gets in

the food supply," he said.


76 dogs in 20 states dead from contaminated food


Diamond has promised to reimburse pet owners for vet bills and other
costs associated with the aflatoxin poisoning, which officials now
believe may include pets in Europe and other areas outside the country
where the food is distributed.

The company set up a call center staffed with veterinarians. The call

volume peaked at about 2,000 calls a day last week, Brinkmann said.

Stewart says she has not spoken with anyone at the company despite
several calls. The family has filled out an online form explaining
their
situation.

"You don't get anybody to talk to and tell your story," she said.
"It's like they're not concerned. To me, it's like they're saying, 'Oh
well, we'll get to it when we get to it."'
Brinkmann was sympathetic.

"We're going as fast as we can," he said. "I grieve with her, and I'm

going to do everything I can to make sure we can do right by her."

January 10th 06, 01:14 AM
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2005/NEW01290.html