PDA

View Full Version : cat urinating problem

Jason B
January 11th 06, 02:17 PM
I'll try to make this short....

I've seen two vets, and neither one can find a problem with my 8-year
old male, part maine coon. About one year ago, he started peeing on the
carpet in two spots in my old townhouse. Oddly enough, one spot was on
the first floor and one on the second floor. The one on the second
floor was directly above the spot on the first floor. There was a lot
of blood in the urine. I took him, and samples to the vet, and the
tests only showed high-levels of blood in the urine, no crystals or
anything else. They did a regular x-ray, an x-ray where the inject air
into the bladder to show more things, and an mri - nothing stood out.
The first vet told me about a condition that some large, male cats get
where they have blood in their urine for no reason. This prompted me to
seek a second opinion, which had the same results, and the same diagnosis.
I have since moved from that house, and in the new house everything was
fine until he started again on a piece of furniture. I now have
hardwood floors, so there isn't any carpet for him to go on. He also
did it on the down comforter. This led to banishment to the garage
every night. He was only allowed in the house when someone is home. It
stinks because he is such an affection-driven cat, and he whines and
howls in the garage - from what my nenighbors say - all day. I brought
him back in, and it seemed like the garage punishment worked. He no
longer was peeing in the house. Until - the past couple of days he
decided to let loose on the couch again. I did notice a hint of blood
again, and also in the litter box. Back to the garage for now.....

I don't think the litter box is a problem, he and his sister have used
that just fine. I did switch to crystal litter about 4 years ago, and
they like that just fine.

Any thoughts or ideas on preventing this? I'm getting ready to drop
over $5k on some a new living room set, and I don't want it ruined. He
doesn't seem to be in pain, so I don't see a reason to euthanize him.
Making him an outside cat is not an option. Because he is so friendly,
I don't want him going up to the wrong type of people. Let alone the
dozen or so cats that run in my neighborhood.

Thanks
--
ࡱ

Gail
January 11th 06, 03:15 PM
It really sounds like he has a urinary problem. I would see a vet that
specializes in cats. He may also have a condition called interstitial
cysititis which causes pain when urinating. Anti-depressant meds or
anti-anxiety meds helps this. Also, you should have two or three litter
boxes for two cats. There should be one on every level of the house.
Gail
.. .