PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see the one eyed kitten?

RobZip
January 11th 06, 03:29 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060109/480/nyet27501091906

Story and picture here. Seems the little guy was one of a litter of two and
survivied for one day. The other littermate is normal and doing fine.

January 11th 06, 05:29 PM
RobZip wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060109/480/nyet27501091906
>
> Story and picture here. Seems the little guy was one of a litter of two and
> survivied for one day. The other littermate is normal and doing fine.

The only thing I wonder about is the fact that newborn kittens do NOT
open their eyes a day after their born. Their eyes are shut for a
little while. Why is this kitten have a very obvious wide-eyed
appearance when it is only 1-2 days old?

Shardonay
January 11th 06, 05:38 PM
wrote:

> RobZip wrote:
>
>>http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060109/480/nyet27501091906
>>
>>Story and picture here. Seems the little guy was one of a litter of two and
>>survivied for one day. The other littermate is normal and doing fine.
>

> The only thing I wonder about is the fact that newborn kittens do NOT
> open their eyes a day after their born. Their eyes are shut for a
> little while. Why is this kitten have a very obvious wide-eyed
> appearance when it is only 1-2 days old?

Looks like a hoax to me.

JQ
January 11th 06, 05:41 PM
That is such bull. That's so fake! Something from the inquirer!?
o people make me laugh.

MaryL
January 11th 06, 06:28 PM
"RobZip" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060109/480/nyet27501091906
>
> Story and picture here. Seems the little guy was one of a litter of two
> and
> survivied for one day. The other littermate is normal and doing fine.

Poor little baby. I thought it was a bizarre hoax when I first saw the
picture. However, it has apparently checked out. This AP report says the
condition is known as "holoprosencephaly," a medical condition which causes
facial deformities. According to the National Institutes of Health web
site, a single eye is located where the nose should be in the worst cases.
Snopes.com also lists this case as "true."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060111/ap_on_re_us/one_eyed_cat

MaryL

Toni
January 12th 06, 02:20 AM
> wrote in message
>
> The only thing I wonder about is the fact that newborn kittens do NOT
> open their eyes a day after their born. Their eyes are shut for a
> little while. Why is this kitten have a very obvious wide-eyed
> appearance when it is only 1-2 days old?

It is my understanding that the condition causes the kittens to be born
without an eyelid, so the open eye is actually part of the defect.

-Toni