PDA

View Full Version : Very Worried about boy - tumor or anal gland issue

Meagain
January 12th 06, 05:33 AM
Tonight I noticed something slightly amiss with my neutered male's
rear. Nothing major, just more 'obvious' somehow. I checked and see
there was some rawness to the side of the anus.
I thought to myself "ok" maybe just some odd injury, etc. But when
checking further, there's a largeish hard mass basically on the side of
the tail base. Inside. I'd say it's the size of a walnut or a
elongated ping pong ball? I saw a tiny droplet of white pus? come
out where I 'think' the anal gland hole is.

I've had indoor cats all my life, mostly purebred (and obsessed with
their health) and I have to say, I've NEVER had a cat with any
semblance of an anal gland issue. Nor have any of my cat friends or
breeder acquaintances. But I latched onto that so I don't panic.
I've been googling and can't find any mention of WHERE (inside or
protruding out) or how BIG these anal gland abseses can get.

I'm worried he has a tumor. Clearly this mass is very close to the
exterior but the size is frightening. He appears fine. Bright-eyed,
eating/drinking. I left a message with the vet and plan on bringing
him in tomorrow ASAP.

Any ideas? :(

Meagain
January 12th 06, 07:48 PM
Meagain wrote:
> Tonight I noticed something slightly amiss with my neutered male's
> rear. Nothing major, just more 'obvious' somehow. I checked and see
> there was some rawness to the side of the anus.

Yep - Anal gland absess! I'm thrilled! He was lightly sedated,
lanced, drained, flushed out, given a shot of antibiotics and is now at
home. I'm to give him a Baytril daily.
:)

cybercat
January 12th 06, 08:24 PM
"Meagain" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Meagain wrote:
> > Tonight I noticed something slightly amiss with my neutered male's
> > rear. Nothing major, just more 'obvious' somehow. I checked and see
> > there was some rawness to the side of the anus.
>

> Yep - Anal gland absess! I'm thrilled! He was lightly sedated,
> lanced, drained, flushed out, given a shot of antibiotics and is now at
> home. I'm to give him a Baytril daily.
> :)

YAY!! I'm so glad it wasn't something worse. I know you are really relieved.