PDA

View Full Version : Feline distemper and dogs question

Marcel Beaudoin
January 12th 06, 08:40 PM
Follow-ups set to rpdh

My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local pound.
Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
vet). I have a couple of questions:

Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?
Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?
Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?

The vet said that she should avoid contact with all animals, but what I
found online says it is just cats that she has to be careful of.
Thanks in advance!!

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

MaryL
January 13th 06, 02:05 PM
"Marcel Beaudoin" > wrote in message
. ..
> Follow-ups set to rpdh
>
> My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local pound.
> Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
> vet). I have a couple of questions:
>
> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?
> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?
> Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?
>
> The vet said that she should avoid contact with all animals, but what I
> found online says it is just cats that she has to be careful of.
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> --
> Marcel and Moogli
> http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

I suggest you post this question to alt.med.veterinary.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

-L.
January 13th 06, 05:45 PM
Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> Follow-ups set to rpdh
>
> My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local pound.
> Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
> vet). I have a couple of questions:
>
> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?

Yes.

> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?

Yes.

> Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?

Yes as long as she has washed all of her clothing and washed and
bleached her shoes. Anything that came into direct contact with the
animal, or any of its secretions, should be bleached - that includes
anything it has sneezed on. She should avoid unvaccinated cats and
kittens. It will be nearly impossible to eradicate all of the virus in
her home, but if she bleaches what she can, it will get rid of much of
it. She should not bring any new cats into her home for at least a
year unless she can keep them quarantined in a "clean" room, and even
then I would not do so unless they are vaccinated- especially not a
kitten.

-L.

Wendy
January 15th 06, 09:15 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
>> Follow-ups set to rpdh
>>
>> My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local
>> pound.
>> Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
>> vet). I have a couple of questions:
>>
>> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?
>
> Yes as long as she has washed all of her clothing and washed and
> bleached her shoes. Anything that came into direct contact with the
> animal, or any of its secretions, should be bleached - that includes
> anything it has sneezed on. She should avoid unvaccinated cats and
> kittens. It will be nearly impossible to eradicate all of the virus in
> her home, but if she bleaches what she can, it will get rid of much of
> it. She should not bring any new cats into her home for at least a
> year unless she can keep them quarantined in a "clean" room, and even
> then I would not do so unless they are vaccinated- especially not a
> kitten.
>
> -L.

This virus is very difficult to kill in the environment so I'm definitely
with you on having to bleach everything (1 cup of bleach per gallon of
water) because regular household disinfectants won't do it. I'm just not
sure why you say she should wait for a year to adopt even a vaccinated cat.
I agree it takes a year for the virus to clear the environment but if the
cat is vaccinated before entering the home why the wait.

NMR
January 15th 06, 09:31 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message

> "-L." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
>>> Follow-ups set to rpdh
>>>
>>> My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local
>>> pound.
>>> Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
>>> vet). I have a couple of questions:
>>>
>>> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?
>>
>> Yes as long as she has washed all of her clothing and washed and
>> bleached her shoes. Anything that came into direct contact with the
>> animal, or any of its secretions, should be bleached - that includes
>> anything it has sneezed on. She should avoid unvaccinated cats and
>> kittens. It will be nearly impossible to eradicate all of the virus in
>> her home, but if she bleaches what she can, it will get rid of much of
>> it. She should not bring any new cats into her home for at least a
>> year unless she can keep them quarantined in a "clean" room, and even
>> then I would not do so unless they are vaccinated- especially not a
>> kitten.
>>
>> -L.
>>

> This virus is very difficult to kill in the environment so I'm definitely
> with you on having to bleach everything (1 cup of bleach per gallon of
> water) because regular household disinfectants won't do it. I'm just not
> sure why you say she should wait for a year to adopt even a vaccinated
> cat. I agree it takes a year for the virus to clear the environment but if
> the cat is vaccinated before entering the home why the wait.

Because even though the animal is vaccinated it is not a guarantee solution
to prevent the disease. The year wait is advised unless you hire a
professional decontaminate team which the average person can not do. That
virus is very resilient that it can be found anywhere

Wendy
January 16th 06, 01:44 AM
"NMR" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Wendy" > wrote in message
>>
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> Yes.

>>> Yes.

>>> Yes as long as she has washed all of her clothing and washed and
>>> bleached her shoes. Anything that came into direct contact with the
>>> animal, or any of its secretions, should be bleached - that includes
>>> anything it has sneezed on. She should avoid unvaccinated cats and
>>> kittens. It will be nearly impossible to eradicate all of the virus in
>>> her home, but if she bleaches what she can, it will get rid of much of
>>> it. She should not bring any new cats into her home for at least a
>>> year unless she can keep them quarantined in a "clean" room, and even
>>> then I would not do so unless they are vaccinated- especially not a
>>> kitten.
>>>
>>> -L.
>>>

>> This virus is very difficult to kill in the environment so I'm definitely
>> with you on having to bleach everything (1 cup of bleach per gallon of
>> water) because regular household disinfectants won't do it. I'm just not
>> sure why you say she should wait for a year to adopt even a vaccinated
>> cat. I agree it takes a year for the virus to clear the environment but
>> if the cat is vaccinated before entering the home why the wait.

> Because even though the animal is vaccinated it is not a guarantee
> solution to prevent the disease. The year wait is advised unless you hire
> a professional decontaminate team which the average person can not do.
> That virus is very resilient that it can be found anywhere

I hadn't heard that. I thought the panleukopenia vaccine was extremely
effective.

-L.
January 16th 06, 02:35 AM
Wendy wrote:
> I hadn't heard that. I thought the panleukopenia vaccine was extremely
> effective.

No vaccine is 100% effective, and in the studies including challenges
with live virus that I have read, the sample number was small. It's
just not a risk I would take since the disease is so devastating (to
kittens, especially).

-L.

NMR
January 16th 06, 02:40 AM
"Wendy" > wrote in message

> "NMR" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "Wendy" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "-L." > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> This virus is very difficult to kill in the environment so I'm
>>> definitely with you on having to bleach everything (1 cup of bleach per
>>> gallon of water) because regular household disinfectants won't do it.
>>> I'm just not sure why you say she should wait for a year to adopt even a
>>> vaccinated cat. I agree it takes a year for the virus to clear the
>>> environment but if the cat is vaccinated before entering the home why
>>> the wait.

>> Because even though the animal is vaccinated it is not a guarantee
>> solution to prevent the disease. The year wait is advised unless you
>> hire a professional decontaminate team which the average person can not
>> do. That virus is very resilient that it can be found anywhere
>>

> I hadn't heard that. I thought the panleukopenia vaccine was extremely
> effective.
Yes it is extremely effective

All vaccinations human or animals use are a measure to prevent what ever it
is a vaccine against polo small pox etc
There is no guarantee on any vaccinations in the medical field some disease
can be sol resilient that even if we are inoculated against it we or they
can still be infected

At the shelter when an animal is detected to have such a disease we have
professional measures to deal with it. We keep all new animals completely
isolated and quarantined until all vaccinations and test can be done.

Phil P.
January 18th 06, 09:17 AM
"Marcel Beaudoin" > wrote in message
. ..
> Follow-ups set to rpdh
>
> My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local pound.
> Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
> vet). I have a couple of questions:
>
> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?
> Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?
> Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?
>
> The vet said that she should avoid contact with all animals, but what I
> found online says it is just cats that she has to be careful of.
> Thanks in advance!!

Feline distemper (parvovirus) is only a risk to young, unvaccinated kittens
and severely immunocompromised cats. If your cats received the FVRCP kitten
vaccination series and one year booster when they were young, they are
immune- probably for life.