PDA

View Full Version : UTI

January 15th 06, 01:24 PM
So what is the bottom line on feeding kitties to prevent UTI events?
>From what I have read, canned moist food gives the cat more water than
dry food with a bowl of water. Opinions?

jmc
January 15th 06, 05:16 PM
Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (15-Jan-06 1:24 PM):
> So what is the bottom line on feeding kitties to prevent UTI events?
>>From what I have read, canned moist food gives the cat more water than
> dry food with a bowl of water. Opinions?

Do some searching of this newsgroup and you'll find all sorts of advice.
My methods:

Extra water bowls; experiment as to optimal locations.
Drinkwell cat fountain
moist food - canned or bagged (tho my cat won't eat it consistently)
High quality dry, since she won't eat canned
Daily glucosamine supplement

jmc

Rhonda
January 15th 06, 05:23 PM
One thing is the ph value -- 6.4 or lower is good if your kitty had
crystals. The food should be slightly acidic.

Rhonda

wrote:

> So what is the bottom line on feeding kitties to prevent UTI events?
>>From what I have read, canned moist food gives the cat more water than
> dry food with a bowl of water. Opinions?

CatNipped
January 15th 06, 05:41 PM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> So what is the bottom line on feeding kitties to prevent UTI events?
>>From what I have read, canned moist food gives the cat more water than
> dry food with a bowl of water. Opinions?

Some hints to get cats to drink more water...

1) Use different water bowls in different places around the house,
especially places they're sure to pass by in their daily routine. Cats
evolved in the desert and it's instinctual for them to check out any "new"
water source whenever/wherever they find it. If they pass by a "strange"
bowl in a "new" place they'll stop and take a drink. Be sure to use clean
bowls and change them out *at least* once a day, preferably twice - cats
have a *highly* sensitive nose and won't drink water that smells the least
bit off).

2) If you can afford it get a Drinkwell fountain - a lot of cats like to
drink from faucets or sources of "moving" water. Cats' vision is best
suited to motion - they have a hard time seeing the surface of still water
(sometimes you'll see a cat "pawing" at his water before drinking - this is
to make the surface of the water easier to see so they don't dunk their nose
in too far).

3) Use the water from canned tuna in water or canned chicken in water as
frequent treats.

4) Add a little (one or two tablespoons) warm water to their canned food
(some here will say that you shouldn't do this since canned food is
formulated to have the correct mix of nutrients and fluids, but this was
advice given to me from a vet for my older cat, so I use it).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

---MIKE---
January 15th 06, 07:18 PM
Rhonda wrote:

>>One thing is the ph value -- 6.4 or lower
>> is good if your kitty had crystals. The
>> food should be slightly acidic.

This could be dangerous advice. The type of crystals determine what the
PH should be. This can only be determined by microscopic analysis of
the crystals. Feeding more acidic food could make the situation worse.
Phil P can probably give you more information about this.

The best way to prevent UTI is to feed a primarily canned diet. Adding
a little water to the food wouldn't hurt. Multiple water dishes is OK
but my cats rarely drink. They get their water from the canned food.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

---MIKE---
January 15th 06, 07:23 PM
Catnipped wrote:

>>cats have a *highly* sensitive nose and
>> won't drink water that smells the least
>> bit off).

I question that. Cats will drink from puddles or even from the toilet
bowl.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Rhonda
January 15th 06, 07:59 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:

> Rhonda wrote:
>

>>>One thing is the ph value -- 6.4 or lower
>>>is good if your kitty had crystals. The
>>>food should be slightly acidic.
>
> This could be dangerous advice. The type of crystals determine what the
> PH should be.

That's true. The type of crystal has to be determined first (thanks for
bringing that up.) The 6.4 or lower is for struvite crystals, which aer
more common in younger cats.

Rhonda

CatNipped
January 15th 06, 08:09 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Catnipped wrote:

>>cats have a *highly* sensitive nose and
>> won't drink water that smells the least
>> bit off).

> I question that. Cats will drink from puddles or even from the toilet
> bowl.

OK, I admit that my cats are spoiled - but I know that they won't drink out
of a bowl that's been sitting out for more the 12 hours, but they will drink
as soon as I put a clean bowl of water down.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

January 15th 06, 08:19 PM
Thanks everyone!
Sharon

January 16th 06, 07:22 PM
My cat doesn't drink, end of story! He's not allowed dry food for
various reasons, mainly because he had serious bladder stones which
nearly killed him you can't force a cat to drink if it doesn't want to
and I always tell my friends that have male, indoor cats not to feed
dry food unless absolutely necessary (i.e. the occasional left out
meal), they should put a bloody health warning on the box, I've heard
of so many cats dying because of this. I'm not really sure why but my
vet told me that indoor males shouldn't eat biscuits.

January 16th 06, 07:50 PM
The reason I asked is the gal that I adopted him from is a tech with a
vet in the area and she pleaded with me to feed him hard food so he
would drink water SO HE would NOT GET UTI! I've had cats all my life
and they all preferred canned food to dry food, so it wasn't an issue.
It always seemed as if they had trouble chewing the dry food anyway.
And as they got older there was the worry about breaking teeth on the
stuff!! But they never had urinary tract problems - boys or girls.
So, canned food it is! Most cats rarely drink water normally. My last
one was hyperthyroid at age 20 and drank tons of water - but that is
what tipped me off to his disease.

---MIKE---
January 16th 06, 08:03 PM
I never "catch" my cats drinking but from the looks of the water dish
I'm sure they do drink a little. I don't mean the water level - I mean
the little spots of what I assume is drool that is on the bottom.