PDA

View Full Version : Clumping litter that doesn't suck!

Jennyanniedots
January 15th 06, 09:17 PM
My all time favorite litter continues to be WBCL (World's Best Cat
Litter), but lately I haven't had convenient access to any so I've been
buying grocery store varieties, with mixed results. I've noticed that
most clumping litters crumble or get gooey when I try to scoop them
out, which makes the litter smelly. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
(Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
like I am, er...was :)
-Jen

jmc
January 16th 06, 12:36 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Jennyanniedots exclaimed (15-Jan-06 8:17 PM):
> My all time favorite litter continues to be WBCL (World's Best Cat
> Litter), but lately I haven't had convenient access to any so I've been
> buying grocery store varieties, with mixed results. I've noticed that
> most clumping litters crumble or get gooey when I try to scoop them
> out, which makes the litter smelly. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
> Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
> You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
> see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
> (Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
> like I am, er...was :)
> -Jen

Just order it online. I'm American living overseas, but WB is preferred
by both of us. I order it from PetsMart, usually two bags at a time to
help reduce shipping costs (which admittedly are pretty high).

jmc

-L.
January 16th 06, 03:36 AM
Jennyanniedots wrote:
> My all time favorite litter continues to be WBCL (World's Best Cat
> Litter), but lately I haven't had convenient access to any so I've been
> buying grocery store varieties, with mixed results. I've noticed that
> most clumping litters crumble or get gooey when I try to scoop them
> out, which makes the litter smelly. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
> Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
> You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
> see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
> (Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
> like I am, er...was :)
> -Jen

Precious Cat is another excellent brand.
-L.

PawsForThought
January 16th 06, 03:53 AM
I use Swheat Scoop, a naturally clumping litter, pretty comparable to
WBCL, IMO.

Paul M. Cook
January 16th 06, 06:32 AM
"Jennyanniedots" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My all time favorite litter continues to be WBCL (World's Best Cat
> Litter), but lately I haven't had convenient access to any so I've been
> buying grocery store varieties, with mixed results. I've noticed that
> most clumping litters crumble or get gooey when I try to scoop them
> out, which makes the litter smelly. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
> Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
> You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
> see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
> (Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
> like I am, er...was :)

I use Arm and Hammer scent free clumping litter. Works great.

Paul

jmc
January 16th 06, 08:51 AM
Suddenly, without warning, PawsForThought exclaimed (16-Jan-06 2:53 AM):
> I use Swheat Scoop, a naturally clumping litter, pretty comparable to
> WBCL, IMO.

I used to use swheat scoop, but found that it clumps too hard, and
basically glues itself to the side of the pan. WBCL doesn't have that
problem.

(and I hear Meep using her favorite litter right now lol)

jmc

Shardonay
January 16th 06, 02:57 PM
-L. wrote:

> Jennyanniedots wrote:
>
>>My all time favorite litter continues to be WBCL (World's Best Cat
>>Litter), but lately I haven't had convenient access to any so I've been
>>buying grocery store varieties, with mixed results. I've noticed that
>>most clumping litters crumble or get gooey when I try to scoop them
>>out, which makes the litter smelly. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
>>Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
>>You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
>>see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
>>(Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
>>like I am, er...was :)
>>-Jen
>

> Precious Cat is another excellent brand.
> -L.

As is Scoop Away.

Shardonay
January 16th 06, 02:57 PM
Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Jennyanniedots" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>My all time favorite litter continues to be WBCL (World's Best Cat
>>Litter), but lately I haven't had convenient access to any so I've been
>>buying grocery store varieties, with mixed results. I've noticed that
>>most clumping litters crumble or get gooey when I try to scoop them
>>out, which makes the litter smelly. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
>>Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
>>You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
>>see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
>>(Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
>>like I am, er...was :)
>

> I use Arm and Hammer scent free clumping litter. Works great.
>
> Paul

I used to use that. It's okay but Scoop Away is WAY better.

Spot
January 16th 06, 04:04 PM
I buy plain old Wal-mart scooping litter and don't have any problems with it
crumbling.

Celeste

"Jennyanniedots" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My all time favorite litter continues to be WBCL (World's Best Cat
> Litter), but lately I haven't had convenient access to any so I've been
> buying grocery store varieties, with mixed results. I've noticed that
> most clumping litters crumble or get gooey when I try to scoop them
> out, which makes the litter smelly. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
> Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
> You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
> see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
> (Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
> like I am, er...was :)
> -Jen

Jennyanniedots
January 16th 06, 08:57 PM
I would buy it online (I used to, actually), but I can't do that where
I currently live. I live in an apt building and unless I'm home on
delivery day, it goes to the post office. I can't pick it up from the
PO without a car....so, hence the unavailability. But thanks for the
thought :)
-Jen

January 17th 06, 04:34 AM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, PawsForThought exclaimed (16-Jan-06 2:53 AM):
> > I use Swheat Scoop, a naturally clumping litter, pretty comparable to
> > WBCL, IMO.
> >

> I used to use swheat scoop, but found that it clumps too hard, and
> basically glues itself to the side of the pan. WBCL doesn't have that
> problem.

I use liners, so any clumps along the edge will peel of the liner
easily. I keep the litter deep, so I don't get many clumps on the
bottom, but they peel off okay too.

I'm not familiar with WBCL, so I can't compare them.

Back when I wanted a new litter, I was looking to avoid the dust of the
regular clay litters and avoid the health hazards of the scoopable
silicon litters. I tried a pellet type litter, but Chase hated it. He
likes a small grainy litter than he can really dig in. He's the reason
I keep it so deep.

Fat Freddy
January 17th 06, 03:55 PM
> I use liners, so any clumps along the edge will peel of the liner
> easily. I keep the litter deep, so I don't get many clumps on the
> bottom...

After cleaning the litter boxes, before I add the new litter, I lightly
spray the inside bottom and sides of the box with cooking spray (PAM).
This keeps clumps from sticking.

dnr
January 18th 06, 01:22 AM
.. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
>> Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
>> You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
>> see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
>> (Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
>> like I am, er...was :)
>> -Jen
Tidy Cats Multiple Cat Hard Clumping Litter doesn't bust up/crumble when
you scoop clumps out (lift up from underneath clumps) and I recently noticed
"T.C.Small Spaces" but wondered what that's all about. SWheat Scoop is
made out of some kind of organic and my cats think it's delicious so we
can't have that kind.

Cat Protector
January 18th 06, 02:02 AM
Actually I changed a while back to Pet Pride which you can get at Fry's. It
works pretty good and actually clumps well.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Jennyanniedots" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My all time favorite litter continues to be WBCL (World's Best Cat
> Litter), but lately I haven't had convenient access to any so I've been
> buying grocery store varieties, with mixed results. I've noticed that
> most clumping litters crumble or get gooey when I try to scoop them
> out, which makes the litter smelly. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
> Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
> You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
> see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
> (Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
> like I am, er...was :)
> -Jen

yngver
January 18th 06, 05:22 PM
Jennyanniedots wrote:
> My all time favorite litter continues to be WBCL (World's Best Cat
> Litter), but lately I haven't had convenient access to any so I've been
> buying grocery store varieties, with mixed results. I've noticed that
> most clumping litters crumble or get gooey when I try to scoop them
> out, which makes the litter smelly. I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
> Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
> You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
> see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
> (Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
> like I am, er...was :)
> -Jen

Periodically we try a different cat litter, so I have tried a lot of
them, including World's Best and Swheat Scoop. I always go back to
Everclean. The cats like it best, it clumps hard and there is never any
odor. I've never had a problem with clumps crumbling or getting gooey
with Everclean. Of course, it's not usually found at grocery stores
either, but Petsmart and Petco have it.
-Yngver

jmc
January 18th 06, 08:00 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Fat Freddy exclaimed (17-Jan-06 2:55 PM):
>> I use liners, so any clumps along the edge will peel of the liner
>> easily. I keep the litter deep, so I don't get many clumps on the
>> bottom...
>
> After cleaning the litter boxes, before I add the new litter, I lightly
> spray the inside bottom and sides of the box with cooking spray (PAM).
> This keeps clumps from sticking.

I tried that, and the liners. Since Meep ALWAYS pees against the wall,
and in the same spot, unless I want to spray every time I clean the
box... and she shreds liners. At any rate, it was sticking to the
liners nearly as bad as it was to the pan.

Yea, I tried everything. We both really like Worlds Best, so the fact
that I'm paying 50% more for it than you folks back home is just the
price I pay for the privilege of being overseas, and having a cat that
can travel :)

jmc

PawsForThought
January 18th 06, 09:08 PM
wrote:
> jmc wrote:
> > Suddenly, without warning, PawsForThought exclaimed (16-Jan-06 2:53 AM):
> > > I use Swheat Scoop, a naturally clumping litter, pretty comparable to
> > > WBCL, IMO.
> > >

> > I used to use swheat scoop, but found that it clumps too hard, and
> > basically glues itself to the side of the pan. WBCL doesn't have that
> > problem.
>

> I use liners, so any clumps along the edge will peel of the liner
> easily. I keep the litter deep, so I don't get many clumps on the
> bottom, but they peel off okay too.

I use liners too. Well actually what I do is put the empty litter pan
inside a garbage bag, then fill it with litter. I find the garbage
bags are sturdier so the cats don't claw through it. I also use a
metal litter scoop that I think works better than the plastic kind.

Lauren

Cat Protector
January 19th 06, 10:36 AM
I used to use liners but Isis would shred them up pretty badly so I stopped
using them.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I use liners too. Well actually what I do is put the empty litter pan
> inside a garbage bag, then fill it with litter. I find the garbage
> bags are sturdier so the cats don't claw through it. I also use a
> metal litter scoop that I think works better than the plastic kind.
>
> Lauren

January 19th 06, 04:00 PM
dnr wrote:
> . I recently tried Tidy Cats Scoop
> >> Small Spaces, because they advertised that the clumps don't crumble.
> >> You'll know it's the right product when you read the label and you'll
> >> see the claim. I'm pleased to report that it's actually true.
> >> (Shocker!) So I figured I'd let you guys know in case you're frustrated
> >> like I am, er...was :)
> >> -Jen
> Tidy Cats Multiple Cat Hard Clumping Litter doesn't bust up/crumble when
> you scoop clumps out (lift up from underneath clumps) and I recently noticed
> "T.C.Small Spaces" but wondered what that's all about. SWheat Scoop is
> made out of some kind of organic and my cats think it's delicious so we
> can't have that kind.

I tried Small Spaces. It is very highly perfumed, but if your cat has
no objections to that, it *does* stay fresh much longer. Mine liked it
just fine. They're used to regular old Tidy Cat clumping litter. I
don't mess with a good thing. I figure if I switch, they'll show their
displeasure in ways I don't want to think about.

Sherry