PDA

View Full Version : Need tips, hints....

Charley's human
January 16th 06, 07:04 PM
for teaching a cat to use a scratching post instead of the furniture.

Thanks! Michelle

NMR
January 16th 06, 07:08 PM
"Charley's human" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> for teaching a cat to use a scratching post instead of the furniture.
>
> Thanks! Michelle

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/behavior.shtml
http://www.fanciers.com/general.html

chas
January 16th 06, 10:15 PM
Try putting two valerian drops on a tissue and then rubbing it over the
scratching post or anywhere else you want the cat to go.

Apparently cats love it. Mine does. It has the same effect as cat mint.

DO NOT GIVE TO THE CAT IN FOOD OR WATER.

chas

.oO rach Oo.
January 16th 06, 11:49 PM
cat nip, cat nip, cat nip.

That and having the cat watch you scratching it too.

--
..oO rach Oo.

"Charley's human" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> for teaching a cat to use a scratching post instead of the furniture.
>
> Thanks! Michelle

-L.
January 17th 06, 11:34 AM
Charley's human wrote:
> for teaching a cat to use a scratching post instead of the furniture.
>
> Thanks! Michelle

A scratching post is usually useless - what you need is a cat tree. I
think Megan has some good info on the anti-declaw site. Check out the
section on understanding scratching behavior and how to keep your cats
from scratching inappropriately.

http://www.stopdeclaw.com

-L.

Charley's human
January 17th 06, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm checking out the suggested
websites as we speak...er, so to speak. ;-) Btw, where does one find
valerian oil?

Thanks! Michelle

5cats
January 19th 06, 12:14 PM
-L. wrote:

> A scratching post is usually useless -

Well, the little 16 inch high things they sometimes sell in the stores
might be useless. But, a nice big 2.5 to 3 ft. tall post with a wide non-
tip base isn't useless at all. We've had 2 of those for many years and I've
had to re-cover them every few years because the cats rip them to shreds.
Got 'em from Pet Supplies Plus.

It wouldn't be hard to make one for a person who had any skill with a
hammer and saw at all. (I don't) I've seen round cut circles of wood at
Home Depot that would make a nice base. And 2 - 2x4s side-by-side for a
post to the desired height. Wrap the post with sisal rope.

chas
January 22nd 06, 03:09 PM
Valerian oil can usually be bought in most health food shops.

chas