PDA

View Full Version : Re: Kami May be Dying

MaryL
January 18th 06, 05:45 AM
"Margarita Salt" > wrote in message
> Please spare me the usual flames. At least try to feel something for
> the cat if not the cat-mom.
>
> A week ago, cat came down with am imfection that cannot be identified
> at bladder, tract, or kidney because no one can get urine from her.
> She was put on Baytril after a shot of Benzapen. Since Friday, she
> refused to eat. She would go toward the food, but opt for a drink of
> water instead. A lot of water, in fact.
>
> Come Monday, I called the vet and told her that I have not given up on
> Kami, but but may be giving up herself. Dr. Tina said to give Kami
> WHATEVER she wanted to eat. It was more important that she right now
> than WHAT she ate.
>
> So last night, I offered tuna, which she gobbled a good tablespoon of,
> but then she wouldn't touch it again. After that, I gave her the
> favorite baby food, which she ate. Still refusing tuna, and out of
> baby food, I bought her the favorite hamburger. She ate a few bits,
> still refused tuna, and THEN refused the baby food. I pretend that any
> one of the choices was MY food, which usually gets her interested, but
> she kept refusing. She also keeps going toward the food, choosing
> water instead.
>
> Is she trying for kitty suicide? I have given her fluids twice in the
> week, but that hasn't helped. The doc took her off Baytril yesterday
> She last had one the morning before) and I thought she'd come around,
> but no. She looks at me with sad eyes that are either saying "fix
> this, " or "help me go." I can't tell which.
>
> She's still alert, bright, cuddly, and everything, but she's not eating
> and not interested. Ideas? Or is she saying it's time?
>
> --
> Margarita Salt

Unfortunately, I don't have any expert advice that I can offer. However,
the first thing that occurred to me is that she may need fluids. I realize
you said she is drinking a lot of water, but she isn't getting any
nourishment. If it were me, I would have my cat at the vet's for a complete
examination and would ask about Ringer's lactate. A telephone conversation
is not enough at this time, and it might be prudent to consider a second
opinion.

I really do offer my heartfelt sympathies. I have been through the loss of
beloved cats, and I know how painful that time is.

MaryL

cybercat
January 18th 06, 06:10 AM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote

> I really do offer my heartfelt sympathies. I have been through the loss
of
> beloved cats, and I know how painful that time is.

Ditto. Kami is quite old, now, isn't she?

abRokeNegRo
January 18th 06, 04:05 PM
Margarita Salt wrote:

> Margarita Salt
>
> "...practically no one in the world is entirely bad or
> entirely good... motives are often more important than
> actions." -- Eleanore Roosevelt

You write very well.

I read all your posts here in under 10 seconds
Your keywords and general sequential flow was appreciated

I know your cat is trying too, this is what stands out

thoughts and prayers to ya's

can we say prayer over here? they are scared to say it next door

January 18th 06, 05:17 PM
Margarita Salt wrote:
> MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>

> > Unfortunately, I don't have any expert advice that I can offer.
> > However, the first thing that occurred to me is that she may need
> > fluids. I realize you said she is drinking a lot of water, but
> > she isn't getting any nourishment. If it were me, I would have my
> > cat at the vet's for a complete examination and would ask about
> > Ringer's lactate. A telephone conversation is not enough at this
> > time, and it might be prudent to consider a second opinion.
> >
> > I really do offer my heartfelt sympathies. I have been through
> > the loss of beloved cats, and I know how painful that time is.
> >
> > MaryL
> >

> I gave her fluids last night even though she's drinking. She had an
> exam two weeks ago, and the infection happened a week ago. It's
> amazing how these things come up so suddenly, and with her being so
> old, it's gets harder to shake off. I really want her to make her 18th
> birthday. Then she'll be old enough to vote. ;)
>

> --
> Margarita Salt

Sorry, I didn't realize "Margarita Salt" was Brandy. I didn't even get
the pseudonym reference LOL
I interpreted the post as someone whose cat was stricken by an isolated
illness and was taken for a single vet visit, and not as Kami, whom I
know now has been under regular vet care for quite some time.
Very sorry she is so ill.

Sherry

Margarita Salt
January 18th 06, 06:45 PM
In article om>,
says...

>Margarita Salt wrote:
>> MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
>> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>>

>> > Unfortunately, I don't have any expert advice that I can offer.
>> > However, the first thing that occurred to me is that she may need
>> > fluids. I realize you said she is drinking a lot of water, but
>> > she isn't getting any nourishment. If it were me, I would have my
>> > cat at the vet's for a complete examination and would ask about
>> > Ringer's lactate. A telephone conversation is not enough at this
>> > time, and it might be prudent to consider a second opinion.
>> >
>> > I really do offer my heartfelt sympathies. I have been through
>> > the loss of beloved cats, and I know how painful that time is.
>> >
>> > MaryL
>> >

>> I gave her fluids last night even though she's drinking. She had an
>> exam two weeks ago, and the infection happened a week ago. It's
>> amazing how these things come up so suddenly, and with her being so
>> old, it's gets harder to shake off. I really want her to make her 18th
>> birthday. Then she'll be old enough to vote. ;)
>>

>> --
>> Margarita Salt
>
>Sorry, I didn't realize "Margarita Salt" was Brandy. I didn't even get
>the pseudonym reference LOL
>I interpreted the post as someone whose cat was stricken by an isolated
>illness and was taken for a single vet visit, and not as Kami, whom I
>know now has been under regular vet care for quite some time.
>Very sorry she is so ill.
>
>Sherry

Didn't mean to be deceptive. I changed the name for another newsgroup to prove
a point: Either I have to tell everyone who I am so there's no point in
changing my name, or I'll be accused of being a sockpuppet.

Glad you like the new nick. ;)