PDA

View Full Version : A new method of feeding pills to cats?

223rem
January 20th 06, 03:56 AM
My trick is simple: I dip the pill and my fingers in cooking oil
before medicating the cat.

This achieves two things:

1. the oily pill goes down the throat fast and does not
get stuck on the tongue

2. the cat's muzzle gets oily from my fingers and he starts licking his
chops right away, and that prevents him from spitting the pill out.

Is this a novel trick?

NMR
January 20th 06, 04:03 AM
"223rem" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s72...
> My trick is simple: I dip the pill and my fingers in cooking oil
> before medicating the cat.
>
> This achieves two things:
>
> 1. the oily pill goes down the throat fast and does not
> get stuck on the tongue
>
> 2. the cat's muzzle gets oily from my fingers and he starts licking his
> chops right away, and that prevents him from spitting the pill out.
>
> Is this a novel trick?

Try fish oil they will lick your fingers clean for you

Barb
January 20th 06, 06:02 PM
Gotta try it!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Mr Tibbs
January 20th 06, 06:13 PM
223rem wrote:

> Is this a novel trick?

might have to try that one day

ot: but in the same vein, I run hot water over the back of canned cat
food
before trying to dump it on the plate

they like the warm food, but better than this, the food just jumps
right out of the can

there's nothing worse than waking up...
trying to dump cat food from a cool can...
you're bumping the cats head each time you try...
you can't see the plate for the cathead!

so I run hot water on the back of them...
and swish!

---MIKE---
January 20th 06, 07:58 PM
I do warm up the can before feeding it but I don't give them the whole
can at one time. Tiger would wolf it down, steal Ambers and then throw
up. I dole out about half the can between two cats and then refill as
they eat it. During the winter, I keep a can propped up on the
baseboard heat so it is always warm at meal time. I use warm water when
the furnace is not on.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Mr Tibbs
January 20th 06, 08:46 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> I do warm up the can before feeding it but I don't give them the whole
> can at one time. Tiger would wolf it down...

ouch

I just put two cans out they are done by nightfall

then they get two more cans...a little is left by morning
and they don't throw it up.

Im pretty sure no-one has ever tapped into the potential
of just how bad you can spoil a cat..(im not saying you've done this to
yours)

but Im thinking you have to spoon feed them?

tell the truth

cybercat
January 20th 06, 09:02 PM
"Mr Tibbs" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> ---MIKE--- wrote:
> > I do warm up the can before feeding it but I don't give them the whole
> > can at one time. Tiger would wolf it down...
>
> ouch
>
> I just put two cans out they are done by nightfall
>
> then they get two more cans...a little is left by morning
> and they don't throw it up.
>
> Im pretty sure no-one has ever tapped into the potential
> of just how bad you can spoil a cat..(im not saying you've done this to
> yours)
>
> but Im thinking you have to spoon feed them?
>
> tell the truth

He just doesn't like cleaning up barf! My cats both
eat too fast and toss it all up at least twice a week.
I think Mike has a good idea here, at least for cats
that wolf their food!

Mr Tibbs
January 20th 06, 09:23 PM
cybercat wrote:

> He just doesn't like cleaning up barf!

nobody likes it

> My cats both
> eat too fast and toss it all up at least twice a week.
> I think Mike has a good idea here, at least for cats
> that wolf their food!

well the solution is to give them all they want
when they see there is plenty they will stop being greedy

cybercat
January 20th 06, 09:36 PM
"Mr Tibbs" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > He just doesn't like cleaning up barf!
>
> nobody likes it
>
> > My cats both
> > eat too fast and toss it all up at least twice a week.
> > I think Mike has a good idea here, at least for cats
> > that wolf their food!
>
> well the solution is to give them all they want
> when they see there is plenty they will stop being greedy

Nope. Not Boo. Honest.

Mr Tibbs
January 20th 06, 09:41 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Nope. Not Boo. Honest.

oh I can't believe that

seems like when he's ready to pop he would go lay down

say he barfs...he will be hungry soon after that...so he goes over to
his still plentiful bowl
i am sure he would only curve his appetite

people want things more when they are not as accessible

for example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elvis-Toe-Nails-From-29-Years-Ago-DEC-1976_W0QQitemZ7581803045QQcategoryZ104986QQssPageN ameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cybercat
January 20th 06, 10:05 PM
"Mr Tibbs" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > Nope. Not Boo. Honest.
>
> oh I can't believe that
>
> seems like when he's ready to pop he would go lay down

Hey! He's a girl. >:[

> people want things more when they are not as accessible
>
> for example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elvis-Toe-Nails-From-29-Years-Ago-DEC-1976_W0QQitemZ7581803045QQcategoryZ104986QQssPageN ameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lmao!

---MIKE---
January 21st 06, 01:03 AM
The big reason for not putting out the whole can at once is that Tiger
is already a big boy. He weighs 24 pounds! He would gobble up his
share and then move in on Amber (who is a slow eater) and steal her
food. My cats are inside cats and spend a lot of time sleeping so they
will get fat if they eat too much.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Mr Tibbs
January 21st 06, 01:29 AM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> The big reason for not putting out the whole can at once is that Tiger
> is already a big boy. He weighs 24 pounds! He would gobble up his
> share and then move in on Amber (who is a slow eater) and steal her
> food. My cats are inside cats and spend a lot of time sleeping so they
> will get fat if they eat too much.

We always had pets growing up
alls you do is leave the food out man

sure, they will hurl a couple of cans..poor things yes...

ok, maybe..feed as usual...gently filling them. :)
after they are full, put enough out for both

i think boredom can play a part too (wanting to eat for entertainment)

cybercat
January 21st 06, 01:32 AM
"Mr Tibbs" > wrote

> i think boredom can play a part too (wanting to eat for entertainment)

I agree. Boo was left alone for long periods of time before we got her when
she was five.

Mr Tibbs
January 21st 06, 01:40 AM
cybercat wrote:

> Hey! He's a girl. >:[

sorry bout dat

I saw her pictures too- shame on me
she is really nice

Knack
January 21st 06, 07:15 AM
"223rem" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s72...
> My trick is simple: I dip the pill and my fingers in cooking oil
> before medicating the cat.
>
> This achieves two things:
>
> 1. the oily pill goes down the throat fast and does not
> get stuck on the tongue
>
> 2. the cat's muzzle gets oily from my fingers and he starts licking his
> chops right away, and that prevents him from spitting the pill out.

I wonder, in addition to following your instructions, if a small drop of
fish oil on the tip of kitty's nose could further improve the technique...

jmc
January 22nd 06, 01:55 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Mr Tibbs exclaimed (20-Jan-06 8:41 PM):
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> Nope. Not Boo. Honest.
>
> oh I can't believe that
>
> seems like when he's ready to pop he would go lay down
>
> say he barfs...he will be hungry soon after that...so he goes over to
> his still plentiful bowl
> i am sure he would only curve his appetite
>
> people want things more when they are not as accessible
>
> for example
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elvis-Toe-Nails-From-29-Years-Ago-DEC-1976_W0QQitemZ7581803045QQcategoryZ104986QQssPageN ameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cats ain't people, thought like people you can't paint them all with the
same brush. Rescued cats that had been starved, for instance, may never
lose the fear that the meal in front of them may be their last.

Animals in multi-cat households may fear that if they don't finish that
mea, which could be their last, that another cat may snarf it up.
Especially if the fearful one is low cat on the totem pole.

Those are just two examples.

jmc

jmc