PDA

View Full Version : Dental cleaners

Mike S.
January 21st 06, 04:39 AM
There's a dental cleaner that I'm interested in getting and I'm
wondering if it works. This particular one is called Liquid Oral Care
and is made by Petkin. It says it cleans teeth and freshens breath,
fights plaque and gum disease, it also contains baking soda. It's
odorless and tasteless and you add it to the pet's water. I think you
add something like 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. I hear that it's
supposed to work like a mouth wash.

Does anyone know if products like these work and how well they work?
Obviously, a professional dental cleaning is the best followed by home
dental cleanings (with a toothbrush).

John Doe
January 21st 06, 08:05 AM
"Mike S." > wrote:

> There's a dental cleaner that I'm interested in getting and I'm
> wondering if it works. This particular one is called Liquid Oral
> Care and is made by Petkin. It says it cleans teeth and freshens
> breath, fights plaque and gum disease,

I don't think so.

> it also contains baking soda. It's
> odorless and tasteless and you add it to the pet's water. I think
> you add something like 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. I hear
> that it's supposed to work like a mouth wash.

Which doesn't work very well for fighting plaque and gum disease.

Fortunately, we humans have electric toothbrushes. They do a number
on plaque and gum disease. If you enjoy good dental hygiene, they
are heavenly (with regular flossing).

Cat dental hygiene is different.

> Obviously, a professional dental cleaning is the best

Yeah, I think that's about it.

Good luck.

Shardonay
January 21st 06, 09:01 PM
Mike S. wrote:

> There's a dental cleaner that I'm interested in getting and I'm
> wondering if it works. This particular one is called Liquid Oral Care
> and is made by Petkin. It says it cleans teeth and freshens breath,
> fights plaque and gum disease, it also contains baking soda. It's
> odorless and tasteless and you add it to the pet's water. I think you
> add something like 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. I hear that it's
> supposed to work like a mouth wash.
>
> Does anyone know if products like these work and how well they work?
> Obviously, a professional dental cleaning is the best followed by home
> dental cleanings (with a toothbrush).

Buddha just recently had a professional teeth cleaning due to a mild
case of gingivitis. FWIW, I use the same stuff (along with Science Diet
Oral Care kibble) and his teeth look pretty good after 6 months; his
breath is good also. Might be a coincidence but if it doesn't hurt, I
say why not try it?

January 23rd 06, 01:34 AM
Mike S. wrote:
> There's a dental cleaner that I'm interested in getting and I'm
> wondering if it works. This particular one is called Liquid Oral Care
> and is made by Petkin. It says it cleans teeth and freshens breath,
> fights plaque and gum disease, it also contains baking soda. It's
> odorless and tasteless and you add it to the pet's water. I think you
> add something like 1 teaspoon to 8 ounces of water. I hear that it's
> supposed to work like a mouth wash.
>
> Does anyone know if products like these work and how well they work?
> Obviously, a professional dental cleaning is the best followed by home
> dental cleanings (with a toothbrush).

Does your cat like the toothbrush?

Sometimes I just clean the outsides of the teeth with my fingers or
maybe a wash cloth. Read somewhere that the insides do themselves
although don't see how BOTH insides could do that. Use a few kibbles
from SD Oral Care, especially after some wet food.

January 23rd 06, 10:02 AM
yours might be to far, but gigervitus, (on my black tabby insulting) I put
mine on hills dental plan, they cleaned up in a few weeks, the 2 now eat it
all the time, no smelly breath anymore... Its just the other end now,,
pheww.

January 23rd 06, 03:55 PM
wrote:
> yours might be to far, but gigervitus, (on my black tabby insulting) I put
> mine on hills dental plan, they cleaned up in a few weeks, the 2 now eat it
> all the time, no smelly breath anymore... Its just the other end now,,
> pheww.

be careful, that Science Diet Oral Care is sky high in fats. probably
not fully digested which is why it's smelly. maybe cut down on that
kibble and feed something a little less fattening with it. i also feed
SD Light or Purina Weight Management Formula. I would be scared to feed
only Oral Care. unless you are using the prescription formula, t/d,
which is in-between Light and the Oral Care for kilocalories, around
3.5 kcals/gram. The Light is 3.2 kcals/gram. And the Oral Care is
almost 3.9 kcals/gram.

i give only 5-10 pieces of Oral Care at a time because I am concerned,
maybe overly concerned, about its high fat content.

---MIKE---
January 23rd 06, 04:16 PM
Tiger gets 6 pieces of Friskies Dental Diet each night.

---MIKE---