PDA

View Full Version : help! sick cat

pilo_
January 22nd 06, 06:41 PM
Hello,

My cat - male, 10 yrs old - started acting very odd
yesterday. He is clearly quite ill. His movements
are very slow and unsure, his reaction time to
noise and other stimuli is slow and sluggish, he
is not eating, and taking very little water. His
movement is slow and strained. It looks as though
it is painful for him to move around.

No vomiting
or other signs of gastric distress.

A few minutes ago he went to his water dish and
started pushing it around and acting sort of afraid
of it, then eventually took a few sips. I'm thinking
maybe he drank out of a toilet and it made him sick?

He's an indoor cat - never outside. He doesn't appear
to be in pain, but who knows? Something
is very wrong, however.

I can't get to a vet anytime soon. Any help MUCH appreciated.

Gail
January 22nd 06, 07:32 PM
You need to see a vet ASAP. No one can diagnose the problem from a
newsgroup.
Gail
"pilo_" > wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> My cat - male, 10 yrs old - started acting very odd
> yesterday. He is clearly quite ill. His movements
> are very slow and unsure, his reaction time to
> noise and other stimuli is slow and sluggish, he
> is not eating, and taking very little water. His
> movement is slow and strained. It looks as though
> it is painful for him to move around.
>
> No vomiting
> or other signs of gastric distress.
>
> A few minutes ago he went to his water dish and
> started pushing it around and acting sort of afraid
> of it, then eventually took a few sips. I'm thinking
> maybe he drank out of a toilet and it made him sick?
>
> He's an indoor cat - never outside. He doesn't appear
> to be in pain, but who knows? Something
> is very wrong, however.
>
> I can't get to a vet anytime soon. Any help MUCH appreciated.

MaryL
January 22nd 06, 07:44 PM
"pilo_" > wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> My cat - male, 10 yrs old - started acting very odd
> yesterday. He is clearly quite ill. His movements
> are very slow and unsure, his reaction time to
> noise and other stimuli is slow and sluggish, he
> is not eating, and taking very little water. His
> movement is slow and strained. It looks as though
> it is painful for him to move around.
>
> No vomiting
> or other signs of gastric distress.
>
> A few minutes ago he went to his water dish and
> started pushing it around and acting sort of afraid
> of it, then eventually took a few sips. I'm thinking
> maybe he drank out of a toilet and it made him sick?
>
> He's an indoor cat - never outside. He doesn't appear
> to be in pain, but who knows? Something
> is very wrong, however.
>
> I can't get to a vet anytime soon. Any help MUCH appreciated.

One sentence in your message says you can't get to a vet anytime soon.
However, that is *vital.* You have described a cat that may be dangerously
ill, and someone at a distance (not even a vet, but certainly not people on
a newsgroup) can possibly diagnose. If you delay, you may be risking your
cat's life. This sounds serious enough that I think you need to look for an
emergency vet if you do not have a regular veterinarian who is on call on
weekends.

I am sure you want to take care of your cat -- that's why you wrote. If
finances are a problem, check with your vet's office. Many will accept
payments over a period of time. Almost all will accept credit cards.

Please update us and let us know what happens.

MaryL

Rhonda
January 23rd 06, 06:04 AM
Hi there,

Can someone help you get him to a vet? Maybe a neighbor? If it's
money-related, some vets will work with you.

He has to start eating. Cats that don't eat even for a day or two can
get fatty liver disease.

I know this is a shameless pull on your heartstrings, but this little
cat is counting on you to help him. He doesn't have a choice, you are
the one that decides his care. He needs to have a vet exam right away
and to get eating again. This can't wait.

Let us know what happens, I have my fingers crossed,

Rhonda

pilo_ wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My cat - male, 10 yrs old - started acting very odd
> yesterday. He is clearly quite ill. His movements
> are very slow and unsure, his reaction time to
> noise and other stimuli is slow and sluggish, he
> is not eating, and taking very little water. His
> movement is slow and strained. It looks as though
> it is painful for him to move around.
>
> No vomiting
> or other signs of gastric distress.
>
> A few minutes ago he went to his water dish and
> started pushing it around and acting sort of afraid
> of it, then eventually took a few sips. I'm thinking
> maybe he drank out of a toilet and it made him sick?
>
> He's an indoor cat - never outside. He doesn't appear
> to be in pain, but who knows? Something
> is very wrong, however.
>
> I can't get to a vet anytime soon. Any help MUCH appreciated.

Aled Evans
January 23rd 06, 07:00 AM
Hi,

It seems like some sort of poisoning or it could be the effects of old age,
just getting stiff.

Plenty of water is very important to flush the system.A visit to a vet would
give you peace of mind,

As a distributor of magnetic health products, some of my customers have
reported wonderful results for such illneses with a magnetic cat collar.
Contact me for further details.

Hope this helps,

Aled Evans
www.healthmagnet.ik.com