PDA

View Full Version : Meds for earmite follow up


Angela St.Aubin
January 25th 06, 01:52 AM
On the advice of this group I decided to order some medicine for my cats
earmites since the stuff I got at the pet store seemed to burn them and
mineral oil wasnt working.

I found a site that will ship to Canada, so I looked at the three options
mentioned here, but none of the write ups fro them say anything about
treating earmites in cats and I just wanted to make sure I understood
correctly before ordering.

I have 3 cats to treat, so I will need enough for all of them (and I
understand it would be done twice, for the mites now, then in a few weeks
when the eggs hatch).

The options are frontline, revolution and heartguard. I think they are all
topical things, not eardrops, right?

The website I will be using is petdrug.com

Angela St.Aubin
January 25th 06, 02:05 AM
Oh, and here are the links to those meds on the site

http://www.petdrug.com/cats/product/Revolution+Blue+for+Cats+5-15+lbs+%282.6+-7.5+kg%29/142/

http://www.petdrug.com/dogs/product/Heartgard+Blue+Tablets+-+Small+Dog+Under+25+lbs+%28%26lt%3B11kg%29/112/

http://www.petdrug.com/cats/product/Frontline+Plus+for+Cats+%28Green+Box%29/98/

-L.
January 25th 06, 03:05 AM
Angela St.Aubin wrote:
> On the advice of this group I decided to order some medicine for my cats
> earmites since the stuff I got at the pet store seemed to burn them and
> mineral oil wasnt working.
>
> I found a site that will ship to Canada, so I looked at the three options
> mentioned here, but none of the write ups fro them say anything about
> treating earmites in cats and I just wanted to make sure I understood
> correctly before ordering.
>
> I have 3 cats to treat, so I will need enough for all of them (and I
> understand it would be done twice, for the mites now, then in a few weeks
> when the eggs hatch).
>
> The options are frontline, revolution and heartguard. I think they are all
> topical things, not eardrops, right?

Frontline and Revolution are are topical, Heartguard is oral and none
of them will put a dent in earmites. You want Acarexx (eardrops),
which is available by prescription only.

-L.

DJ
January 25th 06, 03:53 AM
I have to disagree with you on the Frontline not working on earmites. I
work at a spay/neuter clinic and we clean all the cats ears when they are
under. If there are mites present, they get 2 drops of Frontline in each
ear. This is followed by dry cleaning every 2-3 days. Two additional drops
of Frontline are applied. I've been doing this routine for 3 years, and I
have never seen it ot work, unless the pet partent did not follow directions
ie: cleaning and retreating.
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> Angela St.Aubin wrote:
>> On the advice of this group I decided to order some medicine for my cats
>> earmites since the stuff I got at the pet store seemed to burn them and
>> mineral oil wasnt working.
>>
>> I found a site that will ship to Canada, so I looked at the three options
>> mentioned here, but none of the write ups fro them say anything about
>> treating earmites in cats and I just wanted to make sure I understood
>> correctly before ordering.
>>
>> I have 3 cats to treat, so I will need enough for all of them (and I
>> understand it would be done twice, for the mites now, then in a few weeks
>> when the eggs hatch).
>>
>> The options are frontline, revolution and heartguard. I think they are
>> all
>> topical things, not eardrops, right?
>
> Frontline and Revolution are are topical, Heartguard is oral and none
> of them will put a dent in earmites. You want Acarexx (eardrops),
> which is available by prescription only.
>
> -L.
>

NMR
January 25th 06, 04:02 AM
Every problem is differnent I have had OTC work better than the
prescribtion. It all pertains to the cat and the infestiation

Angela St.Aubin
January 25th 06, 04:38 AM
"NMR" > wrote in message
.. .
> Every problem is differnent I have had OTC work better than the
> prescribtion. It all pertains to the cat and the infestiation
>
>

Well I have tried an ear mite drop I got at a petstore, and it did not work,
and it really irritated the cats.
I cannot afford the vet bills right now unless it is a real emergency. I
live in a small town and dont drive, so it would cost a lot just to get them
to a vet, and I would probably have to pay for all of them to be seen.

Angela St.Aubin
January 25th 06, 04:39 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> Angela St.Aubin wrote:
> > On the advice of this group I decided to order some medicine for my
cats
> > earmites since the stuff I got at the pet store seemed to burn them and
> > mineral oil wasnt working.
> >
> > I found a site that will ship to Canada, so I looked at the three
options
> > mentioned here, but none of the write ups fro them say anything about
> > treating earmites in cats and I just wanted to make sure I understood
> > correctly before ordering.
> >
> > I have 3 cats to treat, so I will need enough for all of them (and I
> > understand it would be done twice, for the mites now, then in a few
weeks
> > when the eggs hatch).
> >
> > The options are frontline, revolution and heartguard. I think they are
all
> > topical things, not eardrops, right?
>
> Frontline and Revolution are are topical, Heartguard is oral and none
> of them will put a dent in earmites. You want Acarexx (eardrops),
> which is available by prescription only.
>
> -L.
>


Seeing a vet is a last resort only.
When I asked about this before, a few people mentioned that those brands
would stop earmites, but maybe they thought I meant something else?

---MIKE---
January 25th 06, 02:11 PM
L wrote:

>>Frontline and Revolution are are
>> topical, Heartguard is oral and none of
>> them will put a dent in earmites.

This is incorrect. Revolution WILL get rid of earmites. Using eardrops
is very stressful for the cat (I treated Amber with eardrops over ten
years ago. To this day she will not sit on my lap).


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

---MIKE---
January 25th 06, 02:16 PM
I suggest that you find new homes for your cats if you can't afford to
take proper care of them. I know this sounds harsh but when vet care is
needed it is the responsibility of the "slave" to provide it.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Angela St.Aubin
January 25th 06, 06:55 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
...
I suggest that you find new homes for your cats if you can't afford to
take proper care of them. I know this sounds harsh but when vet care is
needed it is the responsibility of the "slave" to provide it.


I dont think that is very logical at all. I love my cats, they love me. I
take good care of them. They love living together. I worry about myself
becoming very sick one day or dying and thus needing to find homes for them,
because it would be very hard to find someone willing and able to take all
three and they are miserable without each other.
I give them food, litter, toys, attention, love, and all the necessary vet
treatment. If they were in danger, injured, etc, I would borrow the money to
get them seen. I am on a low income, but I am not one of those people who
think only those that are well off should have the pleasure of owning a cat,
and I think it is sad that anyone does. AS long as someone is willing and
able to care for their pet, anything extra is just that extra. Earmites are
not life threatening. Well they can be, but my cats are not that far gone.
If I thought they were in great pain or danger, I would find a way to pay
the huge vet bills. And they would be huge, as would the cost just to get
the cats to a vet. I will not bankrupt myself for earmites. You can make all
the judgements you want on that, but frankly, I dont care. I am not going to
give up my family, and separate my cats from their family because people
like you think poor people shouldn't have pets.

Toni
January 25th 06, 08:18 PM
"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
.. .
> Earmites are
> not life threatening. Well they can be, but my cats are not that far gone.
> If I thought they were in great pain or danger, I would find a way to pay
> the huge vet bills. And they would be huge, as would the cost just to get
> the cats to a vet. I will not bankrupt myself for earmites.


Bugs crawling in your ears has got to be as annoying as hell- uncomfortable
to the max. Even water in your ear for more than 10 minutes will drive you
insane. I agree that they should be treated aggressively and get rid of this
once and for all instead of dragging it out trying to do it on a dime.

That said- look into Ivomec for treating earmites. It can be used topically
and is available at any feed store. This is an off label use but is very
common and quite safe *if* you do your homework (Google is your friend).
You have to measure it accurately with a syringe, and make sure you know
what % solution you are using, but it is cheap *and* effective.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Mr Tibbs
January 26th 06, 03:13 AM
Diane wrote:

> I have hearing loss that causes a full feeling in my right ear, and I
> can't even describe how bad it feels (think of the stuffy feeling on a
> plane, but no way to "pop" it).

Wouch! that sounds very distracting to say the least.
I hope it gets better.

Charlie Wilkes
January 26th 06, 08:35 AM
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:16:50 -0500,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

>I suggest that you find new homes for your cats if you can't afford to
>take proper care of them. I know this sounds harsh but when vet care is
>needed it is the responsibility of the "slave" to provide it.
>
>
> ---MIKE---
>>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

This kind of self-serving crap is not helpful. The lady is doing her
best to take good care of her pets, but she's got a limited budget.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
January 26th 06, 08:49 AM
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:18:01 -0500, "Toni" > wrote:

>
>"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Earmites are
>> not life threatening. Well they can be, but my cats are not that far gone.
>> If I thought they were in great pain or danger, I would find a way to pay
>> the huge vet bills. And they would be huge, as would the cost just to get
>> the cats to a vet. I will not bankrupt myself for earmites.
>
>
>Bugs crawling in your ears has got to be as annoying as hell- uncomfortable
>to the max. Even water in your ear for more than 10 minutes will drive you
>insane. I agree that they should be treated aggressively and get rid of this
>once and for all instead of dragging it out trying to do it on a dime.
>
>That said- look into Ivomec for treating earmites. It can be used topically
>and is available at any feed store. This is an off label use but is very
>common and quite safe *if* you do your homework (Google is your friend).
>You have to measure it accurately with a syringe, and make sure you know
>what % solution you are using, but it is cheap *and* effective.

The feed store is a good idea. If you can get some kind of Ivermectin
liquid, that is what the vet gave me for my cat's ear mites. It
worked immediately with one dose.

As I recall, I am the one who suggested the heartguard -- with the
caveat that you confirm it with someone who actually knows if it is
safe and effective and what the proper dose is for cats, which I
don't. I just know it contains ivermectin, the same drug.

Charlie

-L.
January 26th 06, 09:32 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>
> As I recall, I am the one who suggested the heartguard -- with the
> caveat that you confirm it with someone who actually knows if it is
> safe and effective and what the proper dose is for cats, which I
> don't. I just know it contains ivermectin, the same drug.
>
> Charlie

Heartgard (oral Ivermectin) is generally not effective in the control
of ear mites, especially if the infestation is severe. Acarexx is
topical Ivermectin and is much more effective. IOW, yes, you *can*
treat systemically for ear mites using ivermectin, but not all mites
will respond to systemic treatment, so you may be wasting your money.
One good side-effect of systemic treatment is that round worms and hook
worms will be killed, if the cat has any (IIRC it does not kill tapes,
though). Oral dosage is 165ug (micrograms) for a cat 5-12 lbs.

OTOH, Acarexx is an ear spot treatment that is nearly always effective
in one dose. You need to buy the Acarexx formulation of Ivermectin,
though, as the carrier is important in topical treatments.

-L.

-L.
January 26th 06, 09:49 AM
DJ wrote:
> I have to disagree with you on the Frontline not working on earmites. I
> work at a spay/neuter clinic and we clean all the cats ears when they are
> under. If there are mites present, they get 2 drops of Frontline in each
> ear. This is followed by dry cleaning every 2-3 days. Two additional drops
> of Frontline are applied. I've been doing this routine for 3 years, and I
> have never seen it ot work, unless the pet partent did not follow directions
> ie: cleaning and retreating.

This is an off-label use and the side effects of using Frontline in
this way have not been studied. I would be hesitant to do so without a
vet's approval, unless I was desperate. The reproductive cycle of the
mite is about 3 weeks, so the dosage should probably be repeated every
2-3 weeks. Ear mites can live up to two months.

-L.

Phil P.
January 26th 06, 02:14 PM
"Angela St.Aubin" > wrote in message
.. .
> On the advice of this group I decided to order some medicine for my cats
> earmites since the stuff I got at the pet store seemed to burn them and
> mineral oil wasnt working.
>
> I found a site that will ship to Canada, so I looked at the three options
> mentioned here, but none of the write ups fro them say anything about
> treating earmites in cats and I just wanted to make sure I understood
> correctly before ordering.
>
> I have 3 cats to treat, so I will need enough for all of them (and I
> understand it would be done twice, for the mites now, then in a few weeks
> when the eggs hatch).
>
> The options are frontline, revolution and heartguard. I think they are all
> topical things, not eardrops, right?
>
> The website I will be using is petdrug.com


Call Petscriptions 1-877-977-3879 and ask them about their policy on
shipping prescription medications to Canada. Most places just require a copy
of a prescription. Call your vet, explain your situation and transportation
problem and ask him to send/fax/email a prescription for Acarexx - that's
the best stuff for earmites. I use Acarexx on young kittens (4 weeks old)
and our shelter and feral cats-- works great.

It usually only requires one treatment and the ears don't have to be cleaned
first. After the mites are killed, the ears will clean themselves. Tell
your vet you need to treat 4 cats so you can get a little extra to treat the
cats' tails, too. Sounds crazy but when cats curl up, the mites can migrate
to the tail and later migrate back to the ears and reinfect them.

Phil

DJ
January 27th 06, 02:49 AM
Like I said we have used it this way for 3 years at the clinic, with vet's
approval, and never had any problems. Yes, it does need to be reapplied at
20 days. Normally, 2 treatments is all that is required, unless they are
extremely severe or the pet parents didn't follow directions.
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> DJ wrote:
>> I have to disagree with you on the Frontline not working on earmites. I
>> work at a spay/neuter clinic and we clean all the cats ears when they are
>> under. If there are mites present, they get 2 drops of Frontline in each
>> ear. This is followed by dry cleaning every 2-3 days. Two additional
>> drops
>> of Frontline are applied. I've been doing this routine for 3 years, and
>> I
>> have never seen it ot work, unless the pet partent did not follow
>> directions
>> ie: cleaning and retreating.
>
> This is an off-label use and the side effects of using Frontline in
> this way have not been studied. I would be hesitant to do so without a
> vet's approval, unless I was desperate. The reproductive cycle of the
> mite is about 3 weeks, so the dosage should probably be repeated every
> 2-3 weeks. Ear mites can live up to two months.
>
> -L.
>

-L.
January 27th 06, 03:18 AM
DJ wrote:
> Like I said we have used it this way for 3 years at the clinic, with vet's
> approval, and never had any problems. Yes, it does need to be reapplied at
> 20 days. Normally, 2 treatments is all that is required, unless they are
> extremely severe or the pet parents didn't follow directions.

Cool. Thanks for the info. That's great to know since Frontline is
OTC.
-L.