PDA

View Full Version : Lick, lick, lick, lick...bite.

sideshowhaas
January 26th 06, 03:57 PM
My 2 yo coon cat has a tendancy to lick my hand several times and then
place his teeth on me as if he were going to bite me. He never leaves a
mark, though. Is he just testing me or tasting me? It's kind of funny
when he does it. It's like he can't resist the temptation to take a
chomp, but just as the teeth make contact he realizes what he is doing,
releases, and sometimes gives a few extra licks as if to say that he is
sorry.

Gail
January 26th 06, 04:22 PM
That's what cats and kittens do to each other. I noticed it with my 2 year
old and 7 month old kitten. They lick each other and then bite, but don't
hurt each other.
Gail
"sideshowhaas" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 2 yo coon cat has a tendancy to lick my hand several times and then
> place his teeth on me as if he were going to bite me. He never leaves a
> mark, though. Is he just testing me or tasting me? It's kind of funny
> when he does it. It's like he can't resist the temptation to take a
> chomp, but just as the teeth make contact he realizes what he is doing,
> releases, and sometimes gives a few extra licks as if to say that he is
> sorry.

John Doe
January 26th 06, 04:56 PM
"sideshowhaas" > wrote:

> My 2 yo coon cat has a tendancy to lick my hand several times and
> then place his teeth on me as if he were going to bite me. He
> never leaves a mark, though. Is he just testing me or tasting me?
> It's kind of funny when he does it. It's like he can't resist the
> temptation to take a chomp, but just as the teeth make contact he
> realizes what he is doing, releases, and sometimes gives a few
> extra licks as if to say that he is sorry.

For what it's worth, I think that might be an expression of
irritation or domination or playfulness. Something along those
lines.

Claude V. Lucas
January 26th 06, 05:40 PM
In article . com>,
sideshowhaas > wrote:
>My 2 yo coon cat has a tendancy to lick my hand several times and then
>place his teeth on me as if he were going to bite me. He never leaves a
>mark, though. Is he just testing me or tasting me? It's kind of funny
>when he does it. It's like he can't resist the temptation to take a
>chomp, but just as the teeth make contact he realizes what he is doing,
>releases, and sometimes gives a few extra licks as if to say that he is
>sorry.

Apparently some MC's are a bit schizo.

Bubba will be relaxing and allowing me to pet
him and he'll switch from purring to bunny-kicking
and gently (usually) biting in a blink.

He doesn't seem vicious or serious about taking
a chunk out of me or anything but it was a bit
surprising the first time. It can be disconcerting
to have a large cat grab you with it's fangs.

In Bubba's case, I think he's just playing in
some strange cat mode and I just let him do
what he wants unless he uses his claws in the
bunny kick.

Claude

Bobblespin
January 26th 06, 06:49 PM
"sideshowhaas" > wrote in

> My 2 yo coon cat has a tendancy to lick my hand several times and then
> place his teeth on me as if he were going to bite me. He never leaves a
> mark, though. Is he just testing me or tasting me? It's kind of funny
> when he does it. It's like he can't resist the temptation to take a
> chomp, but just as the teeth make contact he realizes what he is doing,
> releases, and sometimes gives a few extra licks as if to say that he is
> sorry.

It's a love bite.

CatNipped
January 26th 06, 07:18 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> sideshowhaas > wrote:
>>My 2 yo coon cat has a tendancy to lick my hand several times and then
>>place his teeth on me as if he were going to bite me. He never leaves a
>>mark, though. Is he just testing me or tasting me? It's kind of funny
>>when he does it. It's like he can't resist the temptation to take a
>>chomp, but just as the teeth make contact he realizes what he is doing,
>>releases, and sometimes gives a few extra licks as if to say that he is
>>sorry.
>>

> Apparently some MC's are a bit schizo.
>
> Bubba will be relaxing and allowing me to pet
> him and he'll switch from purring to bunny-kicking
> and gently (usually) biting in a blink.
>
> He doesn't seem vicious or serious about taking
> a chunk out of me or anything but it was a bit
> surprising the first time. It can be disconcerting
> to have a large cat grab you with it's fangs.
>
> In Bubba's case, I think he's just playing in
> some strange cat mode and I just let him do
> what he wants unless he uses his claws in the
> bunny kick.

I think you may be right. Sammy is the only cat I have who does this
(Bandit bites, but that's dead serious and she tries to crack the bone to
suck out the marrow!). Sammy never bites hard and she seldom uses her claws
(only when she gets too excited when playing and forgets). Normally she's
very gentle - thank the gawds!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Claude

FleaCircus
January 27th 06, 11:49 AM
My 1 year old cat do exactly the same.
He bath me and then bite my hand in the same way, without hurting me
and then lick one more time.
It's so funny. I think it's just love. =^.^=

dgk
January 27th 06, 01:42 PM
On 26 Jan 2006 17:40:24 GMT, (Claude V. Lucas)
wrote:

>In article . com>,
>sideshowhaas > wrote:
>>My 2 yo coon cat has a tendancy to lick my hand several times and then
>>place his teeth on me as if he were going to bite me. He never leaves a
>>mark, though. Is he just testing me or tasting me? It's kind of funny
>>when he does it. It's like he can't resist the temptation to take a
>>chomp, but just as the teeth make contact he realizes what he is doing,
>>releases, and sometimes gives a few extra licks as if to say that he is
>>sorry.
>>

>Apparently some MC's are a bit schizo.
>
>Bubba will be relaxing and allowing me to pet
>him and he'll switch from purring to bunny-kicking
>and gently (usually) biting in a blink.
>
>He doesn't seem vicious or serious about taking
>a chunk out of me or anything but it was a bit
>surprising the first time. It can be disconcerting
>to have a large cat grab you with it's fangs.
>
>In Bubba's case, I think he's just playing in
>some strange cat mode and I just let him do
>what he wants unless he uses his claws in the
>bunny kick.
>
>Claude

The bunny kick? Is that what it's called when they hold you with the
front paws and rip with the back ones? I do try to avoid having that
done to my hands.

Claude V. Lucas
January 27th 06, 09:06 PM
In article >,
dgk > wrote:
>On 26 Jan 2006 17:40:24 GMT, (Claude V. Lucas)
>wrote:
>
>>In article . com>,
>>sideshowhaas > wrote:
>>>My 2 yo coon cat has a tendancy to lick my hand several times and then
>>>place his teeth on me as if he were going to bite me. He never leaves a
>>>mark, though. Is he just testing me or tasting me? It's kind of funny
>>>when he does it. It's like he can't resist the temptation to take a
>>>chomp, but just as the teeth make contact he realizes what he is doing,
>>>releases, and sometimes gives a few extra licks as if to say that he is
>>>sorry.
>>>

>>Apparently some MC's are a bit schizo.
>>
>>Bubba will be relaxing and allowing me to pet
>>him and he'll switch from purring to bunny-kicking
>>and gently (usually) biting in a blink.
>>
>>He doesn't seem vicious or serious about taking
>>a chunk out of me or anything but it was a bit
>>surprising the first time. It can be disconcerting
>>to have a large cat grab you with it's fangs.
>>
>>In Bubba's case, I think he's just playing in
>>some strange cat mode and I just let him do
>>what he wants unless he uses his claws in the
>>bunny kick.
>>
>>Claude
>
>The bunny kick? Is that what it's called when they hold you with the
>front paws and rip with the back ones? I do try to avoid having that
>done to my hands.

Yep. That's the "bunny kick". Somebody in here coined that one.

Usually Bubba does it without the rippers unless he's in a mood.

I probably should clip the back nails as well as the front ones
but it's tough enough to keep the front ones under control.

Claude