PDA

View Full Version : Bengals and Diarrhea

Ludwig
January 26th 06, 11:50 PM
I have a new Bengal he was a give up by a owner who did not know what she had
gotten into with this breed, he was also urinating on her bed. He doesn't do
that at my house and I 've had him since Christmas. He has had a problem with
diarrhea and has had it since I got him. He has been checked by the Vet and
tested for parasites and nothing found. Now he is on food trails to see which
food he can tolerate. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was
done about this issue.

Gail
January 26th 06, 11:54 PM
He may have an underlying disorder, also, such as inflammatory bowel disease
if the food allergy theory does not pan out.
Gail
"Ludwig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have a new Bengal he was a give up by a owner who did not know what she
>had
> gotten into with this breed, he was also urinating on her bed. He doesn't
> do
> that at my house and I 've had him since Christmas. He has had a problem
> with
> diarrhea and has had it since I got him. He has been checked by the Vet
> and
> tested for parasites and nothing found. Now he is on food trails to see
> which
> food he can tolerate. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was
> done about this issue.

Ludwig
January 27th 06, 01:09 AM
Thanks Gail, I have been told that also... he is only 6 months old poor
little guy.

PawsForThought
January 27th 06, 01:44 AM
Ludwig wrote:
> Now he is on food trails to see which
> food he can tolerate. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was
> done about this issue.

Perhaps it's the grains in the food? Some cats don't tolerate them
well. I would highly recommend the IBD list on Yahoo:
good information. Good luck, I hope your kitty gets better soon.

Lauren

See my cats: http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe ren

J. dvm
January 27th 06, 02:30 PM
"Ludwig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have a new Bengal he was a give up by a owner who did not know what she
>had
> gotten into with this breed, he was also urinating on her bed. He doesn't
> do
> that at my house and I 've had him since Christmas. He has had a problem
> with
> diarrhea and has had it since I got him. He has been checked by the Vet
> and
> tested for parasites and nothing found. Now he is on food trails to see
> which
> food he can tolerate. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was
> done about this issue.

Bengals kittens are notorious for having difficult to control diarrhea. If
the diet trials are not successful then a good next step would be to send a
stool sample for bacteral culture, clostridium endotoxin testing and giardia
antigen testing. Trichomonas Foetus is turning out to be an emerging cause
of diarrhea in bengals and some labs offer a test for this as well.
Unfortunately there is no treatment for T Foetus but most kittens eventually
resolve it on their own with time.

J. dvm

Ollie via CatKB.com
January 27th 06, 07:47 PM
J. dvm wrote:
>>I have a new Bengal he was a give up by a owner who did not know what she
>>had
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>> food he can tolerate. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was
>> done about this issue.

Our new Bengal had diareah when we first got him, and boy he could clear the
room when he farted. We changed to the indoor variety of Meow Mix (not the
best choice but the only thing our older Bengal will eat) and it has cleared
up. We got him when he was 8 months old so it might have been a "grow out of
it" thing too.

Ludwig via CatKB.com
January 28th 06, 12:51 AM
Thanks to everyone for their replies, Ludwig could clear a room with his
diarrhea it smells really bad... but I'm proud to say today he has a somewhat
normal stool which for me is a joy. We have him on Purina DM which is a high
protien diet.. seems to be working.
P. Henry