PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE NEEDED ASAP

Rochelle
January 29th 06, 12:36 AM
I have 2 adorable cats about 8 months old. One has been unrinating
sporadically on clothing/blankets anything fabric really except for carpeting.
He is huge at 17 pounds (not fat at all) and when he goes it is a huge mess.
He has no medical problems. I have 2 litter boxes which I keep very clean
every day. At first he was just urinating on dirty clothes in the hamper. So
I bought one with a lid and put aluminum foil on top to keep him out. This
morning I found that he had urinated on my 3 year old daughters bed and the
other day he went on my couch! My husband and I are at a loss. We have had
cats all our lives both indoor and outdoor cats and none of them had this
problem. It bears mentioning that he is a very happy cat and in no way
stressed. Also he is not spraying....this has been going on well before he
hit puberty.
My only solution that I can think of is to make him live outdoors BUT he
hates it. Cries continuously on the porch and will not stop. I am desperate
for help. Obviously he has some sort of fabric fetish but I can't live waking
up every day to cat urine somewhere and my house smelling like urine. My
husband is at the point of having him put to sleep because we can't find him
a new home knowing that he will do the same to someone else's home. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.

Joe Canuck
January 29th 06, 02:03 AM
Rochelle wrote:

> I have 2 adorable cats about 8 months old. One has been unrinating
> sporadically on clothing/blankets anything fabric really except for carpeting.
> He is huge at 17 pounds (not fat at all) and when he goes it is a huge mess.
> He has no medical problems. I have 2 litter boxes which I keep very clean
> every day. At first he was just urinating on dirty clothes in the hamper. So
> I bought one with a lid and put aluminum foil on top to keep him out. This
> morning I found that he had urinated on my 3 year old daughters bed and the
> other day he went on my couch! My husband and I are at a loss. We have had
> cats all our lives both indoor and outdoor cats and none of them had this
> problem. It bears mentioning that he is a very happy cat and in no way
> stressed. Also he is not spraying....this has been going on well before he
> hit puberty.
> My only solution that I can think of is to make him live outdoors BUT he
> hates it. Cries continuously on the porch and will not stop. I am desperate
> for help. Obviously he has some sort of fabric fetish but I can't live waking
> up every day to cat urine somewhere and my house smelling like urine. My
> husband is at the point of having him put to sleep because we can't find him
> a new home knowing that he will do the same to someone else's home. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.

Take him the to vet to rule out medical issues.

Gail
January 29th 06, 02:20 AM
These are the classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection. He needs to see
a vet.
Gail
"Rochelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I have 2 adorable cats about 8 months old. One has been unrinating
> sporadically on clothing/blankets anything fabric really except for
> carpeting.
> He is huge at 17 pounds (not fat at all) and when he goes it is a huge
> mess.
> He has no medical problems. I have 2 litter boxes which I keep very clean
> every day. At first he was just urinating on dirty clothes in the hamper.
> So
> I bought one with a lid and put aluminum foil on top to keep him out. This
> morning I found that he had urinated on my 3 year old daughters bed and
> the
> other day he went on my couch! My husband and I are at a loss. We have had
> cats all our lives both indoor and outdoor cats and none of them had this
> problem. It bears mentioning that he is a very happy cat and in no way
> stressed. Also he is not spraying....this has been going on well before he
> hit puberty.
> My only solution that I can think of is to make him live outdoors BUT he
> hates it. Cries continuously on the porch and will not stop. I am
> desperate
> for help. Obviously he has some sort of fabric fetish but I can't live
> waking
> up every day to cat urine somewhere and my house smelling like urine. My
> husband is at the point of having him put to sleep because we can't find
> him
> a new home knowing that he will do the same to someone else's home. Any
> help
> would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.

Rochelle
January 29th 06, 03:30 AM
Gail wrote:
>These are the classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection. He needs to see
>a vet.
>Gail
>>I have 2 adorable cats about 8 months old. One has been unrinating
>> sporadically on clothing/blankets anything fabric really except for
>[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]
>> help
>> would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.

I'm sorry I failed to mention that he has seen a vet and has no medical
issues. Any other ideas?

Joe Canuck
January 29th 06, 03:34 AM
Rochelle wrote:

> Gail wrote:
>
>>These are the classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection. He needs to see
>>a vet.
>>Gail
>>
>>>I have 2 adorable cats about 8 months old. One has been unrinating
>>>sporadically on clothing/blankets anything fabric really except for
>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]
>>
>>>help
>>>would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.
>

> I'm sorry I failed to mention that he has seen a vet and has no medical
> issues. Any other ideas?

When was he to the vet?

I'd suggest seeking a 2nd opinion.

Gail
January 29th 06, 04:15 AM
Yes, I would also seek a second opinion. This does sound like a medical
problem. He could also have intersitial cystitis whereby the use of
antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds can help (there is pain with
urination). Please see another vet.
Gail
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Rochelle wrote:
>
>> Gail wrote:
>>
>>>These are the classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection. He needs to
>>>see a vet.
>>>Gail

>>>[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

>> I'm sorry I failed to mention that he has seen a vet and has no medical
>> issues. Any other ideas?
>
> When was he to the vet?
>
> I'd suggest seeking a 2nd opinion.

Rochelle
January 29th 06, 04:21 AM
Joe Canuck wrote:
>>>These are the classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection. He needs to see
>>>a vet.
>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>> I'm sorry I failed to mention that he has seen a vet and has no medical
>> issues. Any other ideas?
>
>When was he to the vet?
>
>I'd suggest seeking a 2nd opinion.

I first took both cats in several months ago because they had caught a
intenstinal bacteria from the shelter where we got them. There were about 15
kittens in 2 cages that were turned into one larger cage and the vet said
that their drinking water had to have been dirty from feces with so many
kittens in such a small area. They were given antibiotics and they recovered
within a few days. Then the vet said they were very healthy and checked them
top to bottom and all was well. It has been several months since they have
been back in to see the vet. He has been having this problem off and on since
he was 3 -4 months old. Now he is 8 months.

Judy
January 29th 06, 04:29 AM
>>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>> I'm sorry I failed to mention that he has seen a vet and has no medical
>>> issues. Any other ideas?
>>
>>When was he to the vet?
>>
>>I'd suggest seeking a 2nd opinion.
>
> I first took both cats in several months ago because they had caught a
> intenstinal bacteria from the shelter where we got them. There were about
> 15
> kittens in 2 cages that were turned into one larger cage and the vet said
> that their drinking water had to have been dirty from feces with so many
> kittens in such a small area. They were given antibiotics and they
> recovered
> within a few days. Then the vet said they were very healthy and checked
> them
> top to bottom and all was well. It has been several months since they have
> been back in to see the vet. He has been having this problem off and on
> since
> he was 3 -4 months old. Now he is 8 months.

I agree with Joe and Gail. It's time for a second opinion.

Stacey Weinberger
January 29th 06, 04:37 AM
>>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>> I'm sorry I failed to mention that he has seen a vet and has no medical
>>> issues. Any other ideas?
>>
>>When was he to the vet?
>>
>>I'd suggest seeking a 2nd opinion.
>
> I first took both cats in several months ago because they had caught a
> intenstinal bacteria from the shelter where we got them. There were about
> 15
> kittens in 2 cages that were turned into one larger cage and the vet said
> that their drinking water had to have been dirty from feces with so many
> kittens in such a small area. They were given antibiotics and they
> recovered
> within a few days. Then the vet said they were very healthy and checked
> them
> top to bottom and all was well. It has been several months since they have
> been back in to see the vet. He has been having this problem off and on
> since
> he was 3 -4 months old. Now he is 8 months.

My cat Sebastian kept having urinary tract problems since he was a year and
a half and his cat specific vet found nothing. He was going to put him on
Ovaban for behavior which is very very bad and can cause diabetes or
something else not good (don't remember). I took him to a different vet on
the suggestion of a friend who was a vet tech. This vet did an ultrasound
and found polyps in his bladder. He got a three-month course of antibiotics
to clear it up. So I too would suggest a second opinion.

Good luck!

Stacey

Joe Canuck
January 29th 06, 04:38 AM
Rochelle wrote:

>>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>
>>>I'm sorry I failed to mention that he has seen a vet and has no medical
>>>issues. Any other ideas?
>>
>>When was he to the vet?
>>
>>I'd suggest seeking a 2nd opinion.
>

> I first took both cats in several months ago because they had caught a
> intenstinal bacteria from the shelter where we got them. There were about 15
> kittens in 2 cages that were turned into one larger cage and the vet said
> that their drinking water had to have been dirty from feces with so many
> kittens in such a small area. They were given antibiotics and they recovered
> within a few days. Then the vet said they were very healthy and checked them
> top to bottom and all was well. It has been several months since they have
> been back in to see the vet. He has been having this problem off and on since
> he was 3 -4 months old. Now he is 8 months.

But, as you say, that vet check was several months ago. Things change.

January 29th 06, 04:54 AM
Rochelle wrote:
> I have 2 adorable cats about 8 months old. One has been unrinating
> sporadically on clothing/blankets anything fabric really except for carpeting.
> He is huge at 17 pounds (not fat at all) and when he goes it is a huge mess.
> He has no medical problems.

Even though you may think that he has no medical problems, it's very
possible that he has a urinary tract infection. Peeing
inappropriately, esp. on soft surfaces, is a classic symptom of a UTI.
So, before looking at it as a behavioral issue, have him checked at the
vet. If it's a UTI, a course or two of antibiotic will clear up the
infection.

Cathy

I have 2 litter boxes which I keep very clean
> every day. At first he was just urinating on dirty clothes in the hamper. So
> I bought one with a lid and put aluminum foil on top to keep him out. This
> morning I found that he had urinated on my 3 year old daughters bed and the
> other day he went on my couch! My husband and I are at a loss. We have had
> cats all our lives both indoor and outdoor cats and none of them had this
> problem. It bears mentioning that he is a very happy cat and in no way
> stressed. Also he is not spraying....this has been going on well before he
> hit puberty.
> My only solution that I can think of is to make him live outdoors BUT he
> hates it. Cries continuously on the porch and will not stop. I am desperate
> for help. Obviously he has some sort of fabric fetish but I can't live waking
> up every day to cat urine somewhere and my house smelling like urine. My
> husband is at the point of having him put to sleep because we can't find him
> a new home knowing that he will do the same to someone else's home. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.

Rochelle
January 29th 06, 05:16 AM
Well it seems unanimous. Thank you so much for your input. I will make
another appointment to see another vet on Monday and ask that they check
specifically for a UTI as well as give him a thorough exam. I would LOVE for
this to be the problem. At least it's fixable. Both of these cats are the
most gentle and sweet cats I have ever had and I would hate to have to force
him to be outside and disrupt the family. Thanks again and please keep your
fingers crossed for him!

wrote:
>> I have 2 adorable cats about 8 months old. One has been unrinating
>> sporadically on clothing/blankets anything fabric really except for carpeting.
>> He is huge at 17 pounds (not fat at all) and when he goes it is a huge mess.
>> He has no medical problems.
>
>Even though you may think that he has no medical problems, it's very
>possible that he has a urinary tract infection. Peeing
>inappropriately, esp. on soft surfaces, is a classic symptom of a UTI.
>So, before looking at it as a behavioral issue, have him checked at the
>vet. If it's a UTI, a course or two of antibiotic will clear up the
>infection.
>
>Cathy
>
> I have 2 litter boxes which I keep very clean
>> every day. At first he was just urinating on dirty clothes in the hamper. So
>> I bought one with a lid and put aluminum foil on top to keep him out. This
>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>> a new home knowing that he will do the same to someone else's home. Any help
>> would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.

Mr Tibbs
January 29th 06, 05:19 AM
Rochelle wrote:
> I have 2 adorable cats about 8 months old. One has been unrinating
home. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.

i hear ya

next time he does it
get a male to pee on him chase him around the house

Phil P.
January 29th 06, 05:57 AM
"Rochelle" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Gail wrote:
> >These are the classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection. He needs to
see
> >a vet.
> >Gail
> >>I have 2 adorable cats about 8 months old. One has been unrinating
> >> sporadically on clothing/blankets anything fabric really except for
> >[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]
> >> help
> >> would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.
>
> I'm sorry I failed to mention that he has seen a vet and has no medical
> issues. Any other ideas?

I think you should seek a second opinion. Some cats develop a urinary tract
disease called Feline Interstitial Cystitis" which is basically inflammation
of the bladder. FIC usually isn't detectable by routine urine and blood
tests. FIC can cause painful urination which your cat may be associating
with the litterboxes. The first-line treatment for FIC is usually canned
food and a glycosaminoglycan (GAG) supplement.

Best of luck,

Phil

Candace
January 29th 06, 06:58 AM
Rochelle wrote:

> >> a new home knowing that he will do the same to someone else's home. Any help
> >> would be greatly appreciated. We are miserable and so is our cat.

I didn't see anywhere where it said he was neutered. That might be
part of it, or all of it. He needs to be neutered.

Candace

Wendy
January 29th 06, 03:54 PM
Unless your vet took a urine sample and had it tested you can't come close
to ruling out a medical problem.

The antibiotic the vet gave them for the bacterial infection may have helped
the urinary tract temporarily as I believe I had heard that it can act as an
anti-inflammatory however if there is an underlying problem that won't take
care of it long term.

My opinion is to get the cat back to a vet (or a new vet) to address this
specific problem. You can try behavior modification techniques until the
cows come home and get no results if there is a medical problem causing the
cat to urinate outside the box.

>>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>> I'm sorry I failed to mention that he has seen a vet and has no medical
>>> issues. Any other ideas?
>>
>>When was he to the vet?
>>
>>I'd suggest seeking a 2nd opinion.
>
> I first took both cats in several months ago because they had caught a
> intenstinal bacteria from the shelter where we got them. There were about
> 15
> kittens in 2 cages that were turned into one larger cage and the vet said
> that their drinking water had to have been dirty from feces with so many
> kittens in such a small area. They were given antibiotics and they
> recovered
> within a few days. Then the vet said they were very healthy and checked
> them
> top to bottom and all was well. It has been several months since they have
> been back in to see the vet. He has been having this problem off and on
> since
> he was 3 -4 months old. Now he is 8 months.

PawsForThought
January 29th 06, 07:01 PM
Rochelle wrote:
> Well it seems unanimous. Thank you so much for your input. I will make
> another appointment to see another vet on Monday and ask that they check
> specifically for a UTI as well as give him a thorough exam. I would LOVE for
> this to be the problem. At least it's fixable. Both of these cats are the
> most gentle and sweet cats I have ever had and I would hate to have to force
> him to be outside and disrupt the family. Thanks again and please keep your
> fingers crossed for him!

Rochelle, is this a new vet, or the same one? I can't help but think
the original vet was not being thorough enough, and perhaps a new vet,
especially one who is very good with cats, might be a better option.
Good luck and please let us know how things go.

Lauren

Rochelle via CatKB.com
January 30th 06, 03:00 AM
I am taking him to a new vet. At least I hope I can get him in tomorrow if I
call first thing in the morning. I'm going to have them both thoroughly
checked out again and neutered. Crossing my fingers that I can get at least
my problem kitty in tomorrow. I just steamed cleaned another spot that he
just made under my daughter's bed so I'm not above begging. lol...
Rochelle:)

PawsForThought wrote:
>> Well it seems unanimous. Thank you so much for your input. I will make
>> another appointment to see another vet on Monday and ask that they check
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> him to be outside and disrupt the family. Thanks again and please keep your
>> fingers crossed for him!
>
>Rochelle, is this a new vet, or the same one? I can't help but think
>the original vet was not being thorough enough, and perhaps a new vet,
>especially one who is very good with cats, might be a better option.
>Good luck and please let us know how things go.
>
>Lauren

Gail
January 30th 06, 03:11 AM
Glad you are taking him to a new vet. Please let us know what the vet says.
Gail
"Rochelle via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I am taking him to a new vet. At least I hope I can get him in tomorrow if
> call first thing in the morning. I'm going to have them both thoroughly
> checked out again and neutered. Crossing my fingers that I can get at
> least
> my problem kitty in tomorrow. I just steamed cleaned another spot that he
> just made under my daughter's bed so I'm not above begging. lol...
> Rochelle:)
>
> PawsForThought wrote:
>>> Well it seems unanimous. Thank you so much for your input. I will make
>>> another appointment to see another vet on Monday and ask that they check
>>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>> him to be outside and disrupt the family. Thanks again and please keep
>>> your
>>> fingers crossed for him!
>>
>>Rochelle, is this a new vet, or the same one? I can't help but think
>>the original vet was not being thorough enough, and perhaps a new vet,
>>especially one who is very good with cats, might be a better option.
>>Good luck and please let us know how things go.
>>
>>Lauren

Rochelle via CatKB.com
January 31st 06, 08:40 AM
I took him in today and they are sending his urine sample to the lab but are
positive he has a UTI. They actually brought me the sample they took from him
and explained that because it was so cloudy that he had to have bacteria in
his urine. They are sending it to the lab for confirmation of course and to
find out exactly what kind of bacteria it is to know the best antibiotic to
use. Also tomorrow morning he is going back in, along with his brother, to
be neutered and then we start a antibiotic regimin for however long. It
sounds odd but I'm really glad they could pin point a medical problem and
this isn't behavioral. The vet seems to think that he will stop urinating
inappropriately and the problem will be solved. I can't thank you all enough
for your input and encouragement to see another vet. We are sticking with
this one. He been doing this for years and seems very knowledgable. Not to
mention he treated my kitty like he was one of his own. He even gave me a
huge discount on the boys neutering and vaccines. Yay!
Thanks so much,
Rochelle

Gail wrote:
>Glad you are taking him to a new vet. Please let us know what the vet says.
>Gail
>>I am taking him to a new vet. At least I hope I can get him in tomorrow if
>[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]
>>>
>>>Lauren

January 31st 06, 08:54 AM
"Rochelle via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I took him in today and they are sending his urine sample to the lab but
are
> positive he has a UTI. They actually brought me the sample they took from
him
> and explained that because it was so cloudy that he had to have bacteria
in
> his urine. They are sending it to the lab for confirmation of course and
> find out exactly what kind of bacteria it is to know the best antibiotic
> use. Also tomorrow morning he is going back in, along with his brother,
> be neutered and then we start a antibiotic regimin for however long. It
> sounds odd but I'm really glad they could pin point a medical problem and
> this isn't behavioral. The vet seems to think that he will stop urinating
> inappropriately and the problem will be solved. I can't thank you all
enough
> for your input and encouragement to see another vet. We are sticking with
> this one. He been doing this for years and seems very knowledgable. Not to
> mention he treated my kitty like he was one of his own. He even gave me a
> huge discount on the boys neutering and vaccines. Yay!
> Thanks so much,
> Rochelle

God for you, Rochelle, for taking such good care of your babies.

PawsForThought
January 31st 06, 02:18 PM
Rochelle via CatKB.com wrote:
> I am taking him to a new vet. At least I hope I can get him in tomorrow if I
> call first thing in the morning. I'm going to have them both thoroughly
> checked out again and neutered. Crossing my fingers that I can get at least
> my problem kitty in tomorrow. I just steamed cleaned another spot that he
> just made under my daughter's bed so I'm not above begging. lol...
> Rochelle:)

Rochelle, I didn't realize he wasn't neutered. That may be part of
your problem right there. Good luck and let us know what the vet says.

Lauren

Gail
January 31st 06, 02:23 PM
I'm glad you saw a different vet. The fact that he was not neutered can also
cause a problem with inappropirate urination. Thanks for letting us know.
Gail
"Rochelle via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I took him in today and they are sending his urine sample to the lab but
>are
> positive he has a UTI. They actually brought me the sample they took from
> him
> and explained that because it was so cloudy that he had to have bacteria
> in
> his urine. They are sending it to the lab for confirmation of course and
> find out exactly what kind of bacteria it is to know the best antibiotic
> use. Also tomorrow morning he is going back in, along with his brother,
> be neutered and then we start a antibiotic regimin for however long. It
> sounds odd but I'm really glad they could pin point a medical problem and
> this isn't behavioral. The vet seems to think that he will stop urinating
> inappropriately and the problem will be solved. I can't thank you all
> enough
> for your input and encouragement to see another vet. We are sticking with
> this one. He been doing this for years and seems very knowledgable. Not to
> mention he treated my kitty like he was one of his own. He even gave me a
> huge discount on the boys neutering and vaccines. Yay!
> Thanks so much,
> Rochelle
>

> Gail wrote:
>>Glad you are taking him to a new vet. Please let us know what the vet
>>says.
>>Gail
>>>I am taking him to a new vet. At least I hope I can get him in tomorrow
>>>if
>>[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]

Rochelle via CatKB.com
February 2nd 06, 01:37 AM
Ok, the boys are home and the lab results are back and he does not have a UTI
or any form of bacteria or anything abnormal in his urine. They noted that it
was cloudy but all tests were within normal range. So now the vet is thinking
it might be behavioral due to him not being neutered. As it stands now we are
waiting the 6 weeks or so it may take testosterone levels to drop and
crossing our fingers. If he still has this problem then the vet is going to
take another urine sample and any other tests needed. Crossing our fingers
for now....
Rochelle

PawsForThought wrote:
>> I am taking him to a new vet. At least I hope I can get him in tomorrow if I
>> call first thing in the morning. I'm going to have them both thoroughly
>> checked out again and neutered. Crossing my fingers that I can get at least
>> my problem kitty in tomorrow. I just steamed cleaned another spot that he
>> just made under my daughter's bed so I'm not above begging. lol...
>> Rochelle:)
>
>Rochelle, I didn't realize he wasn't neutered. That may be part of
>your problem right there. Good luck and let us know what the vet says.
>
>Lauren

PawsForThought
February 2nd 06, 02:11 AM
Rochelle via CatKB.com wrote:
> Ok, the boys are home and the lab results are back and he does not have a UTI
> or any form of bacteria or anything abnormal in his urine. They noted that it
> was cloudy but all tests were within normal range. So now the vet is thinking
> it might be behavioral due to him not being neutered. As it stands now we are
> waiting the 6 weeks or so it may take testosterone levels to drop and
> crossing our fingers. If he still has this problem then the vet is going to
> take another urine sample and any other tests needed. Crossing our fingers
> for now....
> Rochelle

I'm glad to hear that it's not a physical problem, Rochelle, although
behavioral can be hard to deal with but definitely not impossible. I
would recommend retraining him to the box. There are methods posted on
the internet (I'll see if I can find you a good one). Another option
might be to contact a behaviorist. Maybe someone who's used one will
post with some suggestions. I think now that he's neutered, you should
be able to retrain him to the box and hopefully the peeing incidents
may even disappear on their own. You might want to start with this
article here:
http://cats.about.com/cs/litterboxproblems/a/urinewoes_4.htm

Best of luck,

Lauren