PDA

View Full Version : Agression towards sick cat?

heytud
January 30th 06, 08:47 PM
We have two cats, Catenary and Dirigible: They are littermates, age
about 2 years, both neutered males, former ferals; they have been
housecats for about 1 year.

Catenary has been the "alpha" since before we took them in, but he is
very ill now: We recently found out he has mediastinal lymphoma.

Usually the two are good buddies as they always have been, but in the
past few days, we've caught Dirigible showing some (apparently)
unprovoked agression, usually in competition for food or attention.

In the past we didn't interfere too much with them if they fought. It
usually was just noise, and no blood ever. They worked things out and
went back to being pals. Right now, we feel we need to intevene, since
Catenary is weakened by the illness and can't defend himself well.
Aside from separating them overnight and at other times when we can't
monitor, what else can we do to keep the peace?

In one case I think Dirigible simply misread Catenary's body language
as an invitation to play-fight: Catenary was lying down in a way that
he almost looked like he was crouching.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PS: Yes, there are photos: http://www.geocities.com/heytud/cats/

NMR
January 30th 06, 08:55 PM
"heytud" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We have two cats, Catenary and Dirigible: They are littermates, age
> about 2 years, both neutered males, former ferals; they have been
> housecats for about 1 year.
>
> Catenary has been the "alpha" since before we took them in, but he is
> very ill now: We recently found out he has mediastinal lymphoma.
>
> Usually the two are good buddies as they always have been, but in the
> past few days, we've caught Dirigible showing some (apparently)
> unprovoked agression, usually in competition for food or attention.
>
> In the past we didn't interfere too much with them if they fought. It
> usually was just noise, and no blood ever. They worked things out and
> went back to being pals. Right now, we feel we need to intevene, since
> Catenary is weakened by the illness and can't defend himself well.
> Aside from separating them overnight and at other times when we can't
> monitor, what else can we do to keep the peace?
>
> In one case I think Dirigible simply misread Catenary's body language
> as an invitation to play-fight: Catenary was lying down in a way that
> he almost looked like he was crouching.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> PS: Yes, there are photos: http://www.geocities.com/heytud/cats/

Simple animal instincts the weak and ill are always pushed away from the
feeding to prevent the others from becoming the same. Plus now that the
alpha male is weak and unable to be the alpha male the other is taking his
place. Simple animal thinking

January 30th 06, 09:00 PM
I don't have an answer for you about stopping the agression. But I do
know that this is normal. As my vet told me when I was going through
something like this with one kitty sick and the other not - it's
survival of the pack. The healthy one is trying to force the ill one
out. Nature isn't always pretty.

I don't know if I was right or wrong, but I would be stern with the
healthy one and tell him to lay off. I found it best to feed the ill
kitty by herself.

Mr Tibbs
January 30th 06, 10:00 PM
heytud wrote:

> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> PS: Yes, there are photos: http://www.geocities.com/heytud/cats/

let them be...it will **** the sick one off, the sick one will get well
just to get even

Frank Pittel
February 3rd 06, 06:34 AM
It sounds like Dirigible has noticed the weakness in Catenary and is
asserting domonance<SP?>. Like you I always stay out of the battles
between my cats and let them solve their issues themselves. Were I draw
the line is when it looks like one is hurting the other. This could be
the drawing of blood or attacking the other when it's sick or injured.

I'm not a vet but I'll bet that Catenary needs rest in order to recover
and the physical extertion could weaken him further making him suseptable
to other problem and at the least delay his revovery. I would try to keep
them apart or at least keep the "fighting" to a minimum.

--