PDA

View Full Version : Re: Kami not eating again :(


-L.
January 31st 06, 07:00 AM
Margarita Salt wrote:
> Kami stopped eating again, including the Fancy Feast. I gave her
> fluids and a quarter Pepcid last night and she ate a little this
> evening, but not much. She did, however, have a great interest in the
> sour cream from din-din. It's like a toddler that only wants junk
> food.
>
> --
> Margarita Salt

Seriously, at this point I would just feed her whatever she will eat.
If you can get her back on Fancy feast, do it - and keep her on it.
No, it's not the *best* food for her, but if it keeps her alive and she
will eat it, that is what is important. Try some Nurtical and some
stinky fish like sardines or tuna if you have to. Good luck,
-L.

-L.
January 31st 06, 05:05 PM
Margarita Salt wrote:
> I'm just concerned the protein level is what's making her feel icky.
> She was sick Sunday morning and again this morning. She asks about
> food, but doesn't eat it. Probably just out of habit.
>
> --
> Margarita Salt

She's probably hungry but nauseated on top of feeling bad. The problem
if she doesn't eat is she may go into fatty change of the liver
(commonly called hepatic lipidosis) and pancreatitis, and you want to
stop that from happening if you can because it pretty much starts a
downward spiral in elderly cats that leads to the end. So any food is
better than no food. Discus appetite simulants with the vet along with
vitamin B shot (also a stimulant) and Nutrical gel.

Good luck and let us know how she does.
-L.

-L.
February 1st 06, 07:17 PM
Margarita Salt wrote:
>
> Dr. Tina wrote back and said practically the same thing--that she has
> an appetite, but feels sick when she gets near the food. She told me
> to give her 1/2 Pepcid daily and 100cc fluids for 4 days. If she
> doesn't start to kick it or gets worse, bring her in. She didn't have
> a reply about Periactin.
>
> I said in another post that she ate cat food after her taco, and she's
> eating just now since we got up. I'm still going to do what the vet
> says.
>
> I do enjoy that I have a vet that is willing and able to utilize email.

Yeah, that's really nice. I don't know many who will do that!

-L.

Joe Canuck
February 1st 06, 10:41 PM
-L. wrote:
> Margarita Salt wrote:
>
>>Dr. Tina wrote back and said practically the same thing--that she has
>>an appetite, but feels sick when she gets near the food. She told me
>>to give her 1/2 Pepcid daily and 100cc fluids for 4 days. If she
>>doesn't start to kick it or gets worse, bring her in. She didn't have
>>a reply about Periactin.
>>
>>I said in another post that she ate cat food after her taco, and she's
>>eating just now since we got up. I'm still going to do what the vet
>>says.
>>
>>I do enjoy that I have a vet that is willing and able to utilize email.
>
>
> Yeah, that's really nice. I don't know many who will do that!
>
> -L.
>

They probadly won't for the same reasons many won't participate on the
newsgroups or other online forums.

February 1st 06, 11:02 PM
Joe Canuck wrote:
>
> They probadly won't for the same reasons many won't participate on the
> newsgroups or other online forums.

Well, on-line forums are more a case of liability. Email exchanges
with estabished patients are more of a time-constraint issue, I would
imagine.

-L.

cybercat
February 1st 06, 11:05 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
...
> -L. wrote:
> > Margarita Salt wrote:
> >
> >>Dr. Tina wrote back and said practically the same thing--that she has
> >>an appetite, but feels sick when she gets near the food. She told me
> >>to give her 1/2 Pepcid daily and 100cc fluids for 4 days. If she
> >>doesn't start to kick it or gets worse, bring her in. She didn't have
> >>a reply about Periactin.
> >>
> >>I said in another post that she ate cat food after her taco, and she's
> >>eating just now since we got up. I'm still going to do what the vet
> >>says.
> >>
> >>I do enjoy that I have a vet that is willing and able to utilize email.
> >
> >
> > Yeah, that's really nice. I don't know many who will do that!
> >
> > -L.
> >
>
> They probadly won't for the same reasons many won't participate on the
> newsgroups or other online forums.
>

Well, I for one cannot imagine what those reasons would be. : D

Joe Canuck
February 2nd 06, 10:57 AM
Margarita Salt wrote:

> Diane > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>
>>In article >,
>> Joe Canuck > wrote:
>>
>>
>>>They probadly won't for the same reasons many won't participate
>>>on the newsgroups or other online forums.
>>
>>I prefer calling mine on the phone so we can have an interactive
>>conversation. Plus, I can't think of when he has time at a
>>computer. He's usually treating animals. :)
>>
>
>
> I'd prefer that, too, but it usually involves leaving a message and
> waiting for her to call back. It takes time away from each of us for
> non-emergencies. With email, I can put the problem out there, and when
> she has a break she writes back. She's very thorough in her answers,
> so there has never been a whole volley of messages flying back and
> forth trying to get clarification. I do place a call if I really don't
> understand or really worried, but I know she does all her surgeries in
> the morning and I usually won't hear from her until after 3:00.
>
> It's good to know the vet's schedule and how they work. This has been
> the all-time easiest vet to work with in Kami's nearly 18 years.
>

Well then I suggest you use her for your advice rather than this
group... which you consider "mostly useless" as you have suggested in
the past.

February 3rd 06, 02:32 AM
Margarita Salt wrote:
> I'd prefer that, too, but it usually involves leaving a message and
> waiting for her to call back. It takes time away from each of us for
> non-emergencies. With email, I can put the problem out there, and when
> she has a break she writes back. She's very thorough in her answers,
> so there has never been a whole volley of messages flying back and
> forth trying to get clarification. I do place a call if I really don't
> understand or really worried, but I know she does all her surgeries in
> the morning and I usually won't hear from her until after 3:00.
>
> It's good to know the vet's schedule and how they work. This has been
> the all-time easiest vet to work with in Kami's nearly 18 years.
>
> --
> Margarita Salt

Sounds like an excellent set up. I hate playing phone tag with people.

-L.

Joe Canuck
February 3rd 06, 04:01 AM
Margarita Salt wrote:

> > wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>
>>Margarita Salt wrote:
>>
>>>I'd prefer that, too, but it usually involves leaving a message
>>>and waiting for her to call back. It takes time away from each
>>>of us for non-emergencies. With email, I can put the problem out
>>>there, and when she has a break she writes back. She's very
>>>thorough in her answers, so there has never been a whole volley
>>>of messages flying back and forth trying to get clarification. I
>>>do place a call if I really don't understand or really worried,
>>>but I know she does all her surgeries in the morning and I
>>>usually won't hear from her until after 3:00.
>>>
>>>It's good to know the vet's schedule and how they work. This has
>>>been the all-time easiest vet to work with in Kami's nearly 18
>>>years.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Margarita Salt
>>
>>Sounds like an excellent set up. I hate playing phone tag with
>>people.
>>
>>-L.
>>
>>
>
>
> Me too. I hate it when I get a voicemail that says essentially "call
> me." If they would tell me what they're calling about, I can probably
> have everything they need to know prepared when I return the call. On
> the reverse side, my bosses irk me because I'll leave a detailed
> message and they call back and say, "Oh, I didn't listen to it. I just
> saw that you called." Grrr.
>

Apparently you haven't discovered yet that a busy boss doesn't have time
to listen to long-winded voice mail messages from incompetent staff that
doesn't know how to communicate effectively via the phone. :-D